Dem Rep Debbie Wasserman Schultz said people shouldn’t use the term “Obamacare.”

So with that in mind, I’m pleased to report that we’re one step closer to not having to use the word, because the House voted earlier to defund Obamacare:

The House voted to defund President Obama’s health care overhaul on Friday during a sustained burst of floor activity on a temporary spending bill.

The House passed the health care measure, 239-187, as an amendment to a bill that would keep the government lights on through the end of the fiscal year but also impose deep cuts on domestic programs.

I don’t think it’s asking too much to not pay for something a federal judge has ruled unconstitutional at least until the appeals process has played out.

The House also voted to stop giving taxpayer money to Planned Parenthood.

Cecile Richards has an interesting view of “American values”:

“This afternoon’s vote is a victory for taxpayers and a victory for life,” Pence said in a statement. “By banning federal funding to Planned Parenthood, Congress has taken a stand for millions of Americans who believe their tax dollars should not be used to subsidize the largest abortion provider in America.”

But Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood, denounced the proposal as an “extreme and dangerous piece of legislation.”

“The outcome of this vote is not a surprise, but it is radically out of step with mainstream American values and it is out of line with the issues voters want Congress to focus on,” she said.

Cutting spending is an issue many voters want Congress to focus on. I’m not thrilled with the government using my money to kill babies either. Everybody send poor Cecile a case of Ramen noodles to ease the pain.

What kind of sick clique are you hanging around where killing the unborn is a “mainstream American value”?

Anyway, Michelle M’s going to post the roll-call vote(s) when they’re available.

There are a couple more votes going on today that I’ll catch up on later — including a funding bill for PBS. With any luck, Arthur will be on suicide watch this weekend.

Comments

13 Responses to “House Votes to Defund Obamacare, Planned Parenthood”

1. SignPainterGuy on February 18th, 2011 8:02 pm

This is way better than your run-of-the-mill EXCELLENT NEWS !! Congrats and a hearty WELL DONE to most of the house R`s and a few D`s and especially Mike Pence and Steve King !!

U2 Doug ! THANKS !!

I may pig out and boil up 2 packs of Ramen Noodles tonight !!

2. Tweets that mention House Votes to Defund Obamacare, Planned Parenthood : The Powers That Be -- Topsy.com on February 18th, 2011 8:23 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Bob Wray, Realtor, Doug Powers. Doug Powers said: House Votes to Defund Obamacare, Planned Parenthood http://tinyurl.com/4qvbzty [...]

3. Marshall_Will on February 18th, 2011 8:29 pm

I am going to break one of my long-held rules….

Gonna' BUST OUT the Ramen guys! Yeah.., 'me'! Personally, I'd rather not be in the kitchen when someone else is even 'making' it, but…

This is a very special occasion. Hold your nose I guess if you have to? Mrs. Will buys it by the CASE so I think it comes to 17 cents a serving. WTH, Splurge! And thank Doug, MM and all the rest. In fact, Ramen for EVERYONE!

4. SignPainterGuy on February 18th, 2011 8:42 pm

It`s been a long time since I bought this 6-pk of RN, but it figures to barely over 10 cents here…..I`ll look next time I`m shopping !

Weren`t you the one a while back being disgusted with Deb W. Schultz ? If she`s so hep on not disparaging Obamacare, what does she think of the term, "Tea Baggers" ?! There wouldn`t be a double standard would there ? Surely not !!

5. OK_Loyalist on February 18th, 2011 11:31 pm

Yes indeed, GREAT NEWS !!!!

I see Pelosi's poodle, Debbie Wasserman Schultz , finds the term "Obamacare" disparaging. Debbie, we find °O° disparaging with or without "care", glad to see you're getting on board.

I also liked from article I read at Drudge…. "The House also adopted an amendment by Rep. Denny Rehberg, R-Mont., to bar the Labor and Health and Human Services Departments from spending any money for the rest of fiscal year 2011 on the health care law. Still another provision adopted today would ban the government from paying the salaries of any federal employee involved in implementing the health care law."

Ladies & Gents, "Let the whining begin"!

6. Doug on February 19th, 2011 12:29 am

"Let the whining begin"

Maybe the DC dems will take a page from the Wisconsin dems and just take flight and not come back. Too much to hope for, I suppose.

7. SignPainterGuy on February 19th, 2011 12:33 am

"Let the whining begin" ! Perhaps THIS is what they meant by a "new tone" !?

8. OK_Loyalist on February 19th, 2011 12:47 am

What a week! I see this as the unraveling. John Boehner may have a tear duct issue, but he is slugging like a bar room brawler. And this rabble-rousing union crap in WI is our Greece.

9. OK_Loyalist on February 19th, 2011 2:17 am

LOL

We'll get to hear some other too. We far from cranking up the Fat Lady and getting out the wooden stake.

10. SignPainterGuy on February 19th, 2011 2:52 am

I fully realize the battle has just begun, but it`s great to see we have warriors able to fight and not just jesters to joke around !

Our side is attacking on so many fronts at once, let`s just say, the kick in the gut I felt when Obummer was elected and his agenda steamrolled its way along has been replaced by real hope !

11. OK_Loyalist on February 19th, 2011 4:36 am

I agree

12. Marshall_Will on February 19th, 2011 4:24 pm

OK_Loyalist,

I'd never dream… of challenging you on a 'technical' basis BUT… wouldn't it perhaps be more artfully 'put' to say "The GREAT Unraveling!"? ( I like that a bit better? )

Right, and like the Good Speaker ( I was brought up not to trust a man that doesn't drink! ) Slug.It.OUT John!

13. Congress Closely Looking at Defunding CAPTA Due to Waste and Fraud | The Kings Words of the Day on February 19th, 2011 6:29 pm

[...] “House Votes to Defund Obamacare, Planned Parenthood” and related posts (dougpowers.com) [...]