It’s probably too much to hope for that “the crackhead” wins, isn’t it?

Today’s the day Chicagoans both past and present select a new leader, but Rahm’s got such a comfortable lead that maybe the dead can remain sleeping:

With the 82nd anniversary of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre safely behind them, Chicagoans will go to the polls today to — probably — pick the next mayor of the hometown political base of the president of the United States.

The city’s voters will mainly be choosing between: Rahm Emanuel, former local political machine gofer, Bill Clinton money man, representative and Barack Obama’s initial chief of staff; and Gery Chico, former Board of Education head and chief of staff to the retiring 68-year-old Mayor Richard M. Daley. The Daley family has controlled the fifth-floor City Hall office (and so much more in the toddling town) for 43 of the last 56 years.

The Chicago-DC loop will probably be shored up even more by the end of the day.

If Rahm Emanuel wins, he’ll be delivering an acceptance speech sometime tonight from his home in Washingt — I mean… Chicago. Definitely Chicago.

Update: As surprising as finding an error on Charlie Rangel’s tax return: Emanuel wins.

Comments

14 Responses to “‘Dead Voters Walking!’ — Chicago Votes for Mayor Today; Updated

1. nannykins on February 22nd, 2011 1:21 pm

The finer points of his acceptance speech – "I am the "One" you have been waiting for." "I won – get over it." "A dead fish in every frying pan for all." "My new chief of staff, Rod Fu%*&ng Blaggoivich, will make our Chicago govt transparent and "user" friendly." "I will immediately raise the taxes on those evil rich making more than $35K/yr so every poor child can get a good edumancation and an I-pod." "Free health care for all who voted for me". "To those who did not vote for me – Eff You!"

2. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2011 1:45 pm

"Today’s the day Chicagoans both past and present"

!?!? Did a double-take on that one!

"Free health care for all who voted for me". ( Or.. a Waiver, whichever works for you? ) I 'am' whatever you 'want' me to be. Guys, for as much of an uphill battle it's been for my wife and family to be transplants in Oregon.., as a native-Chicagoan ( this is what I would have been continually subjected to )

I have my days, but more and more I'm convinced I made the right decision.

3. backwoods on February 22nd, 2011 1:46 pm

Careful. Let's not be disenfranchising the dead voters!

4. Tweets that mention ‘Dead Voters Walking!’ — Chicago Votes for Mayor Today : The Powers That Be -- Topsy.com on February 22nd, 2011 1:48 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by PortraitsPlus and The_Q, Doug Powers. Doug Powers said: ‘Dead Voters Walking!’ — Chicago Votes for Mayor Today http://tinyurl.com/4pgpa3h [...]

5. Joe Redfield on February 22nd, 2011 1:52 pm

And the usual sad fact for Chicago voters is…all six candidates on the ballot are complete hacks.

6. OK_Loyalist on February 22nd, 2011 2:06 pm

When Rahm was departing the White House, I heard someone on the radio with an inside track mentioned, believe it or not, Rahm was the voice of reason in the administration. So what's that tell ya ?

7. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2011 2:33 pm

LOL, previously thought the ultimate act of "self-disenfranchisement" now it's hardly an obstacle at all!

8. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2011 2:37 pm

Not sure I'm reading Doug correctly but… as the city of Chicago most assuredly continues its downward spiral into oblivion/corruption it will make it glaringly apparent just exactly what Rahm's 'contribution' to the WH was.

( Why are they even bothering to count the votes? )

9. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2011 3:57 pm

"(Why are they even bothering to count the votes ?)"

My question exactly ! I figure the fix was in before the judge ruled Rahm eligible to run ! He`ll get 69% of the vote even if no one votes !

10. OK_Loyalist on February 22nd, 2011 10:03 pm

Look, it's voter drive in CHI

11. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2011 1:15 am

Well, my prediction of a Rahm win with 69% of the vote was a bit high, only 55% right now. I guess any higher would have looked fishy ! Haaa ! That $10,000,000.00 didn`t go to waste !

12. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2011 1:17 am

The music was uninspiring, but there was still a cart load of them ! :)

13. Doug on February 23rd, 2011 1:29 am

Rahm could still get to 69%… they have yet to count the votes from Archer Heights as well as the Acacia Park Cemetery.

14. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2011 2:23 am

I thought of that as I posted in the Rahm thread at MM`s place a few mins. ago, so I worded it a bit differently. Time and creative counting will tell ! ;-)

Only 50% had reported in as of a couple hrs. ago !