A lot of people have trouble understanding why some Americans who are being lectured on health and told why they should skip vacations make a fuss when those issuing the decrees violate them constantly. I often note the “for thee but not for me” hypocrisy too.

However, I didn’t say a word when Drudge linked to the fat content of short ribs, the meal that Michelle Obama reportedly ordered while on vacation with the kids in Vail — although it was tempting. Others, Rush Limbaugh for example, did say something.

But at the Vail Daily, somebody is defending Michelle’s low-cal honor:

VAIL, Colorado – Some conservative bloggers and talk-show hosts act like the short rib in Michelle Obama’s dinner entree was, like Adam’s, extracted from them personally.

The first lady, in Vail with her daughters and some friends for the Presidents Day weekend, dined at Restaurant Kelly Liken in Vail Village Saturday night, enjoying a pickled pumpkin salad with arugula and a braised ancho-chile short rib with hominy wild mushrooms and sauteed kale.

So, of course, some people are taking the short view of the short rib.

A braised short rib is a relatively lean cut of beef, braised with most of the fat cooked off. The 5-ounce serving runs about 600 calories, Liken said — a far cry from the 1,500 calories and 141 grams of fat it’s accused of.

They’re not very lean according to this site.

But… according to that story, a day of skiiing can burn 6,000 calories, so no matter how high in fat and “pounding at your heart with the fist of God” cholesterol-laden the meal was, FLOTUS has got this meal burned off already, so back off wingnuts!

Comments

15 Responses to “Vail Daily Defends Low-Fat Honor of Michelle Obama’s Braised Ancho-Chile Short Rib Dinner”

1. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2011 3:15 pm

"A skier will burn off about 6,000 calories during the course of a day"

Ok I'm going to take exception to that. Any of you spend time on a treadmill? Well 'I' have and at 4.0 MPH and 1% Incline it takes me every BIT of half an hour to 'burn' 249.8 Calories!

Only 5,750.2 to GO! Feel the burn. We've all heard that just being exposed to bitter cold will burn calories even if you're just standing in it but this is ridiculous. Minus time spent in lift lines, hot chocolate runs, bathroom, 'lunch' and practicing lip pursing in the mirror and that 'day' now exists of (2) bunny-slope runs.

Nice spin.

2. Doug on February 22nd, 2011 3:23 pm

That "6000 calories a day" is from the same story… I included it as a way to insinuate that the author's tendancy to exaggerate may also extend to the fat content estimate of the ribs.

3. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2011 3:50 pm

……..and a fine job you did there Doug !

I`ve seen less spinning in a clothes dryer !

4. Doug on February 22nd, 2011 3:59 pm

I almost made myself sound insightful for a second there… I promise it won't happen again.

5. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2011 4:03 pm

"may also extend to the fat content estimate"

Ya' think? ( Midwesterners, so modest! )

Roit! 'If' you're an Olympic-caliber skier ( IN competition ) you 'might' burn that many calories. At even -half- that rate of metabolic burn there'd be no need for Zumba infomercials, Ab Lounger or PX-90 and Christopher Lee could have let his BowFlex go in the divorce settlement.

My God, 6k calories a day. People would be ripping the sash off the drapes and using wooden barrel staves to 'ski' on.

6. nannykins on February 22nd, 2011 4:08 pm

Moochelle can stuff her pie hole with all the crap she wants – I am more offended that the first mooch is on vacation AGAIN!!! With $5 gas looming on the horizon I may only get up north once or twice this summer while she burns tons of global warming flying around on vacations that her husband says we have to forgo for our "shared sacrifice".

And I see where the rats are running again. Indiana democrats just fled their state to avoid a vote on union concessions.

Just remember libs – in the words of Kurt Russell from Tombstone – "You tell em I'm comin' and hell is comin' with me!" That's right libs – hell hath no fury like a screwed and angry tax payer.

7. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2011 4:15 pm

Michellesmirror had me cackling – ouch, my head hurts !

Two face-plant pics; one says, "The snack pack was still intact", and the other, an officially awarded pin – "Some one had a yard sale after the first run"…Too funny !!

Honestly, I don`t care how much honest money anyone makes or what they spend it on, as long as they are taking care of their responsibilities ! The first family is living large on our dime and our time and insulting us to our faces the whole time……THAT does bother me !

8. joyannaadams on February 22nd, 2011 4:18 pm

Now…who went with her on this trip? Was the whole town closed down for her vacation? And did we pay for them? Did EVERYONE get ribs?

And nannykins…I LOVED your Kurt Russell quote! right…

Great motto!…let's take it!

As for calories, I lose more pounds lying in bed all day, then if I exercise, do lawn work, ski, bike, swim…you name it.

Michelle should stay in bed and as Marshall suggests: "purse her lips"

…push her lips, suck her lips, smack her lips…paint her lips…matters not…it would saves us billions.

9. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2011 4:26 pm

I remember an "abundant" comedian (that`s funny fat guy for those of you in Rio Linda, btw) who hated exercise with such a passion, the hardest thing he did was holding himself back to resist being sucked down the bathtub drain !

10. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2011 4:40 pm

"As for calories, I lose more pounds lying in bed all day, then if I exercise, do lawn work, ski, bike, swim…you name it"

Sister ain't THAT the truth. When first I endeavored to do more than get sucked down the bath drain I thought I was making 'real' progress! As in I no longer get winded going up a flight of stairs and my waist-size has "stabilized".

From there ( it's all uphill ) You may not see any 'visible' progress for months.

Two quick questions for The Panel. Any chance FLOTUS is a Binge/Purge eater? And is there ANY lifestyle prdt. Valerie Bertinelli won't peddle?

11. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2011 4:46 pm

If FLOTUS is a B/P eater, she just started and isn`t exhibiting any obvious signs (yet); as for VB, there is a line somewhere she wont cross !

12. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2011 8:49 pm

any obvious signs (yet);

True enough, not so's ya' could tell? But that doesn't mean she isn't! To think we have less than two years to figure out her fatal flaw, I mean other than the obvious.

I've always kind of liked Val B., Mrs. Will has almost identical checkbones and full chin. Only Filipina. ( I kid her about "Have 'you' talked to Jenny Craig?" all_the_time! ) No laughs to report as of yet.

13. SignPainterGuy on February 22nd, 2011 9:35 pm

"No laughs….yet." YOU are gonna be back in the dog house buddy !

I`ve always thought Valerie is cute and a fairly good actress, regardless of her weight, but the weight loss made her more lovely !

The only weight-loss program I`ve seen that I would never recommend is the Physicians W/L Program which requires such all encompassing modification of lifestyles of everyone around the patient, it`s doomed to fail ! Of the several women I`ve known who`ve spent the $thousands on the prog. and special foods, 100% have lost the preverbial ton and immediately packed it back on ! The prog. is unrealistic at it`s very foundation !

14. Marshall_Will on February 22nd, 2011 10:10 pm

In later years I think she owned up to having affairs ( drugs ) etc. What do you expect when you marry a Rockstar and are forced ( by your upbringing ) to pretend you "have a normal life"?

Through it all, I think she was "a good kid" and I never grudge anyone their successes. Lord knows we all have enough failures.

15. SignPainterGuy on February 23rd, 2011 12:12 am

Atta boy !

Did I hear recently that she is engaged again ? Didn`t hear to whom ….