I’ve got a half-dozen things to take care of this morning, so here’s the open thread Nanny requested a couple of weeks ago (better late than never).

Possible topics for discussion:

James Carville hawking Miracle Whip, thus ruining all future sandwiches for me.

The Smithsonian is selling patriotic USA items that are made in China. Socialist Bernie Sanders is outraged, leading me to believe there’s an angle to this story that I’m missing.

John McCain ranked most conservative senator in 2010. Same poll also found that Debbie Stabenow was the sveltest Senator, so take it for what it’s worth.

The Wisconsin Assembly passed Governor Walker’s budget bill. Brace for incoming union fire!

Back later!

Comments

27 Responses to “Friday Morning Open”

1. Marshall_Will on February 25th, 2011 1:20 pm

Resolved: Did Alice Cooper foresee The Rise of Obama as far back as 1971?

In 1971 Alice released "Love It To Death". Considered by critics his greatest work to date, titles included:

"Caught In A Dream", "I need everything, The World owes ME… I tell it to myself and 'I' AGREE!

"I'm Eighteen" ( I've got an I-Pod and this really cool black dude says if I do this voting 'thing' I can REMAIN 18! )

"Long Way To Go", "What's keeping us apart isn't selflessness, what's holding us 'together' isn't Love!"

"Is it My Body?" ( Whether The Coop had "sun-glistened pec's" or not I'll leave to Doug's readers )

And what depicts the derailment of Hopey-Changey 'better' than "The Ballad of Dwight Fry"? ( I gotta' get out! I gotta' get outIgottagetoutIgottagetout of 'here'? )

2. Marshall_Will on February 25th, 2011 1:26 pm

As if my theory needed further support? Side 2 closes out with "Sun Arise" ( pre-saging the 2010 Mid-Terms ) ending a decidedly dark work on an up note.

"Sun arise… come every morn-ing, bringing back the warmth to the ground!"

Coop ma' man, YOU Sir were a VISIONARY! Love It To Death.

I rest my case.

3. OK_Loyalist on February 25th, 2011 2:05 pm

"James Carville hawking Miracle Whip, thus ruining all future sandwiches for me."

Not to worry Doug, there's always mayo

4. Dancermommd on February 25th, 2011 2:10 pm

I do not understand what those union people in WI want really. They want to keep collective bargaining and get a pink slip too? They are all losing pay protesting and then they will lose pay when they get laid off because the state can't pay. Sheesh!

5. SignPainterGuy on February 25th, 2011 2:19 pm

Alice Cooper was right ? What about Mel Brooks ? It truly is a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world !! `cause James Carville and I (and Doug too, but that`s good) actually agree on something !

6. Joe Redfield on February 25th, 2011 2:27 pm

You need a refresher course in Progressive math, in which 'less is more'. Quiz on Monday.

7. Nick on February 25th, 2011 2:29 pm

Hey asshat, did you know the WIS teacher's union agreed to all the financial elements of the budget? They are protesting the governers attempt to strip their rights to collective bargaining.

There is no evidence (real evidence, not Tea Party evidence) to support the notion that collective bargaining rights unjustly harm state budgets.

I know I know, I am talking about reality, which has no place on the Dougieepooh blog.

8. Marshall_Will on February 25th, 2011 2:31 pm

Dancermommd,

Precisely. And who in their right mind will actually 'want' to RE-FINANCE Wisconsin's Debt ( uh.. due -today- as a matter of fact ) when they've done nothing but foment chaos to an absolute crescendo?

And how the HELL are you going to RETAIL them to the investing public? "Mr. Client… I realize things have been uphill in the economy and stock market BUT… have 'I' got some bonds for YOU!"

Click. Hello..? Hel.. hello..?

9. OK_Loyalist on February 25th, 2011 2:39 pm

The troll lives, still full of sh!t, but lives

10. Marshall_Will on February 25th, 2011 2:42 pm

"What about Mel Brooks ?" LOL! Looking at WI, guess 'he' was a "visionary" too!

No, Mrs. Will had to get vacuum bags and other BS so I was stuck in the car listening to The 'Coop and the parallels really struck me! Whether or not a 'fan' ( you have to admit, NO ONE could convey being driven to the brink of utter MADNESS quite like Alice )

Bands like that were the anti-heros those of us not old enough to be 'hippies' gravitated to. Yeah, we're all going to live in one big happy commune and share toothpaste and underwear. Right…

If some 'Prof' at Liberal U can make a case ( as they seem to every couple of years ) that The Beatles, when examined closely enough, held some magic 'key' that PROVED we could solve all the World's problems… then certainly we can make 'ours'. Hey @-hole Liberals… School's OUT!

11. SignPainterGuy on February 25th, 2011 2:49 pm

The NC legislature is expanding the "Castle Doctrine" from only one`s home (where you still had to prove your and your family`s lives were in real danger) to incl. cars (car-jacking) and businesses . I suppose gun laws will also need to be expanded as well, but this is great news. No longer will an individual have to run for a safe room or the hills; now an invader can know there`s a real possibility that he is going to be blown away and the defender will have the law on his side ! Interesting concept and turn of events !

The local paper is running a survey on it; 95.5% favor the change ! This in the San Fran of the East Coast !

12. SignPainterGuy on February 25th, 2011 2:59 pm

I finally heard a good explanation of "Binding Arbitration" yesterday; A cop made its requirements clear and as far as I`m concerned, ALL UNIONS should face the arbitrator !! The union must PROVE that the employer CAN AFFORD the pay / benefit increase, or they don`t get it !

Imagine teachers unions trying to prove that states / counties CAN AFFORD increases in pay and benefits, or even maintain them in the current nationwide budget crises !! Tee hee !!

13. Marshall_Will on February 25th, 2011 3:03 pm

"did you know the WIS teacher's union agreed to all the financial elements of the budget?" BFD!

Right, after bringing the State and schools to a grinding standstill and -further- jeopardizing their already precarious financial state of affairs. Real team players.

Let me ask you this, as a creditor ( which is basically what a bond buyer 'is' ) would YOU lend money to a "couple" that's already agreed to divorce, the house is a YEAR behind in payments and is on the verge of bankruptcy?

That's what those in the WI ( NJ/Cali/IL and who KNOWS how many other states are asking! ) Then 14 of your Rep's skip town? This is a disaster and it didn't have to BE this way. Yep, real team players…

14. SignPainterGuy on February 25th, 2011 3:16 pm

Good analysis ! I wouldn`t !

15. Clu Seatoe on February 25th, 2011 3:34 pm

Q: How much work can you get done during a 60 minute period of Rush Limbaugh??

A: Just over 30 minutes!!

PLUS: If you listen on line you now get 30 less seconds at the beginning of your log on for an extra commercial that over talks everything, even if you fortuitously tune in during dialog.

16. Nick on February 25th, 2011 5:16 pm

That isnt progressive math, Joe, that is Reaganomics. Less taxes = more tax revenue. Proven false so many times it makes ones head explode.

17. Nick on February 25th, 2011 5:21 pm

Marshall, feel free to make any sense.

"BFD" is not the basis of a sound economic agrument.

And if being a team player means making less for the state's well being? So asking wealthier Americans to pay more taxes is a good idea then? Oh wait, did Will just jam is foot in his mouth.

The strike and protest is about a ideologically paralyzed Governer trying to jam his will down the throats of the electorate. he is trying to worker and union rights.

You righties aer giant frauds. You talk freedom all the time, but have no idea how it is actually engaged in.

18. Nick on February 25th, 2011 5:22 pm

Do you realize how stupid you are? I guess that question answes itself.

If you are going to ask the employee to prove that the employer can meet his salary demands, that means the employer has to open his books and explain his accounting method. Good luck with that.

19. Marshall_Will on February 25th, 2011 5:39 pm

"that means the employer has to open his books and explain his accounting method"

Umm.., if they're publicly-traded they are REQUIRED to! Subject to SEC audit. ( It's called the 10-Q and the 10-K ) You really should READ one sometime? And for the love of God, please proof-read before you post!

( Your public education is showing? )

20. Rick on February 25th, 2011 5:47 pm

Once again Nick,you’ve over indulged in the Kommie Kool-Aid or are huffing the HuffPo.

Govt unions are nothing more than extortion rackets against the taxpayer.Even FDR and George Meany were against them.The unions crapped their hats in the “private sector” and are now doing the same with gubbmint.Fly to China and unionize them.

21. Marshall_Will on February 25th, 2011 5:49 pm

" trying to jam his will down the throats of the electorate"

I'm sorry.., what were the mid-terms 'about' again? Oh.., that's right! More taxes, bigger paychecks/ben's for Union members and MORE deficits!

You're right about [1] thing though, all the 'talk' about freedom is exactly THAT. Just talk, most of us aren't old enough to have actually experienced it. We've been too busy putting in OT to cover all the taxeaters.

Sorry nick, the polls are showing if you're supporting the WI ruinions, you are clearly in the minority. And even if the Evil Rich were willing/forced to fill The Black Hole.., how 'long' would schools be "adequately funded"? A Year? A quarter.., a week?

22. SignPainterGuy on February 25th, 2011 7:22 pm

Google Arthur Laffer, (sp), the Laffer Effect. Proven correct so many times, only a true nit wit lib could miss it !

23. SignPainterGuy on February 25th, 2011 7:36 pm

Right you are and wrong Nick is, yet again !

With the law of averages in effect, you`d think Nick would be right at least once, sometime ! Is it a lib-commie thing to be wrong EVERY TIME ?

24. Marshall_Will on February 25th, 2011 8:26 pm

SPG,

I was thinking of that as well but after oh… 1/2 a decade or so of being forced into "de-bunk mode" blogging the Housing Bubble, it's a relief to have others picking up the slack once in awhile. Appreciate that.

Ran into the same game of "fetch" at MM's today DE-BUNKING that she's a "union member"! It's just exhausting.., kind of like asking your kids where their homework 'is'?

You have to beat one concession out of them at a time until there's nowhere left to hide and.., ( at great length ) they finally fess' up to what you knew to be the truth all along. Sorry, but Mrs. Will and I have -already- raised our children. Nick's on his own.

25. SignPainterGuy on February 25th, 2011 8:36 pm

Granny isn`t doing too well, still buying his clothes and doing his laundry ! ;-)

What time`s your speech tomorrow ?

26. OK_Loyalist on February 25th, 2011 10:22 pm

What always amazes me, these self-indulgent a-holes always think they are smarter than everyone else, and in reality it's the farthest from the truth. At least this egotistical pr!ck isn't a wine sipping fart sniffer like another one we know.

27. SignPainterGuy on February 26th, 2011 12:21 am

I saw where you were in full fledged de-bunk mode ! If he didn`t catch on to the truth, it isn`t from lack of hearing it ! Good job and all without being insulting or vulgar in return !