If you live long enough, you get to see everything:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Navy says it is forging ahead with its decision to name a warship for the late Rep. John Murtha, despite protests the decorated Vietnam War veteran was disloyal in his 2006 accusation that Marines had murdered Iraqi civilians.

Three Facebook sites opposing the Navy’s April 2010 decision bristle with thousands of angry postings. The Navy website with the announcement drew critical comments. The Washington Times voiced its outrage in an editorial entitled “Sink the Murtha.”

But the Navy says it is standing firm.

First there was ABSCAM and the dubious “King of Pork” distinction, but the man lost what was left of his credibility with this 2006 exchange with Tingles (in his pre-Tingle days) about the Haditha Marines who were on trial at the time:

CHRIS MATTHEWS, HOST: Let me ask you Mr. Murtha to give us some details about that. Draw us a picture of what happened at Haditha.

REP. JOHN “JACK” MURTHA: Well, I’ll tell you exactly what happened. One Marine was killed and the Marines just said we’re going to take care – we don’t know who the enemy is, the pressure was too much on them, so they went into houses and they actually killed civilians. And, and –

MATTHEWS:—was this My Lai? Was this a case of – when you say cold blood Congressman, a lot of people think you’re basically saying you got some civilians sitting in a room around a field and they’re executed.

MURTHA: That’s exactly it.

The Haditha Marines were exonerated and Murtha never apologized. Sure, let’s name a ship after him.

They’re calling it the “USS John P. Murtha” because “USS Accusing Marines of Cold Blooded Murder Before the Facts Were Known” seemed a bit too long.

Comments

22 Responses to “Navy to Name Warship After John Murtha; Haditha Marines Obviously Didn’t Get a Vote”

1. backwoods on March 1st, 2011 7:30 pm

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Frankly, I'd like to see somebody courtmarshalled over this.

2. OK_Loyalist on March 1st, 2011 7:39 pm

Guess they had a hateful tub of sh*t that was unnamed.

3. nannykins on March 1st, 2011 7:48 pm

This is an absolute disgrace! We have to stop this!!! Just start hollaring, emailing, writing and calling. Let everyone know. And yes, backwoods, someone should be court marshaled!!!

4. SignPainterGuy on March 1st, 2011 7:53 pm

Sadly, no ! It`s a NEW amphibious transport dock ship, 10th in a series that will carry marines and their equipment to battle zones . Marines who BTW, are the opposite of its namesake, beginning with HONORABLE !!

5. Say what?? « The Daley Gator on March 1st, 2011 10:08 pm

[...] I am too tired or something. I swear I saw this headline at Doug Powers blog, but I know it cannot possibly true. No way the Navy would honor a cretin who [...]

6. Clu Seatoe on March 2nd, 2011 12:15 am

To be exonerated is not a proclamation of innocents. It is to be to free from guilt or blame or their consequences. As in eternal salvation.

The acts may have been committed but you are not held accountable. As in the last time you were blatantly speeding.

7. Ken in Texas on March 2nd, 2011 1:21 am

As you were, troops. The term is "courts martial" and it ain't gonna happen. I've never heard of a courts martial being convened to try anybody for "stupid". If it was possible, where in the Obama administration would we start?

8. SignPainterGuy on March 2nd, 2011 1:53 am

Thank you for the military court terminology clarification ! Start somewhere, anywhere, for cryin` out loud, just get started !

9. backwoods on March 2nd, 2011 7:52 am

I plead guilty as charged to failure to check my spelling against the dictionary, something I normally do when in doubt. But SignPainterGuy is right, there is a bigger problem, and that is a fine ship is being stuck with a moniker that too closely resembles Excremental Orifice.

10. Nick on March 2nd, 2011 12:49 pm

Oh great Doug, tell us tales of your great military service to our country? ** folds hands under chin ***

11. OK_Loyalist on March 2nd, 2011 1:18 pm

Oh great Nick, tells us of your great service to the communist movement to our country ! ** flies the bird**

12. Doug on March 2nd, 2011 2:12 pm

So…. huh? I can't talk about military issues unless I actually not only served but served "greatly"? That doesn't seem to stop Nick's fellow travelers from bashing them every chance they get. But if Nick's defending the christening of a giant floating tool of death and destruction, that might be enough to get him kicked out of the next Center for American Progress meeting.

13. SignPainterGuy on March 2nd, 2011 2:55 pm

Oooh, I`m rollin` on the floor an` I can`t get up !! Oh, my side ! Ouch !

14. Ken in Texas on March 2nd, 2011 3:47 pm

There's the starting point! Nick's gonna be courts martialed on grounds of "stupid"!

15. SignPainterGuy on March 2nd, 2011 4:37 pm

Is "keel-hauling" still a legal punishment ?

16. Rick on March 2nd, 2011 5:06 pm

They might still keel-haul,but it’s voluntary and only for fun.lol.Punishment is so gauche,unless one slights a muslim.

USS Benedict Arnold,soon to follow…

17. SignPainterGuy on March 2nd, 2011 7:15 pm

Good one ! As dangerous as the activity could be, I`m almost surprised it never became a "sport" !

18. Mike S. on March 2nd, 2011 9:16 pm

First, I had to hang my head in shame as an active duty member of the Navy because Jimmy Carter was ex-Navy (he WAS a bubblehead, though, not a skimmer like I was, but still, it was bad having him as a C-I-C), and now I have to hang my head in shame as a former member of the Navy because of this travesty. Wasn't there an old ship that is about to be sunk as an artificial reef that could have been renamed in Murtha's (dis)honor? Of course, to be completely accurate, we'd have to name the ship the U.S.S. P.O.S.

19. Nanny on March 2nd, 2011 9:53 pm

HaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Love Ya Doug – Nick defending the military after all of his rants here about the evillllllllllllllll killers in our military. PRICELESS!!!

Way to go Nick!!! Your lack of brains shows again!!!

20. otto mulemann on March 2nd, 2011 10:57 pm

Someone should have stuffed Barney Frank's kid brother you know where in that big, bloated bag of methane with the big yellow stains, on his fly and up his spine. I had to turn away every time I laid eyes on that gelatinous mass of protoplasm on TV spewing that venom all over our Marines, and all the while he was screwing taxpayers, accepting bribes and kickbacks.

21. RRyan on March 3rd, 2011 9:52 pm

This is all purely political….remember, this is an Obamanation!

22. David Jones on September 12th, 2012 12:14 am

No boat is truly complete without an appropriate name. Any decent boat dealers anywhere will agree with that.