Yesterday the House voted to defund NPR, but leave it to Harry Reid to come up with a good reason to keep shoveling taxpayer cash at them:

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), who had come to the floor to congratulate athletes currently competing in the Iditarod Dog Race in Alaska, prompted the majority leader to speak on the topic.

After listening to Murkowski and asking a couple of questions, Reid explained that he had heard a piece about dog racing on NPR.

“They had a really, really good piece on public radio before the start of the race,” explained Reid. “I hesitate saying this because I know I will probably get in trouble, but this is a good reason why the House vote was bad today to defund public radio.”

Reid continued, “The only radio station I can get during the daytime in Searchlight, Nevada is public radio.”

Oh my God, if the GOP gets their way, how will America get all its dog racing information? This is a national security issue!

Why is a liberal pretending to like the Iditarod anyway? That’s a Palin sport.

As for NPR being the only station Reid can get at home, according to NPR, 2 percent of their money comes in the form of taxpayer subsidy, so why the continual assumptions that NPR will go off the air without federal funding? In any case, it’d be far cheaper just to buy Harry Reid a better radio.

Update: Question of the day: If NPR is so wonderful and valuable, why can’t it compete in the marketplace like other news outlets?

Comments

17 Responses to “Harry Reid With Another Compelling Reason Not to Defund NPR: Cool Stories About Dog Racing”

1. Mike S. on March 18th, 2011 11:51 am

Hey Harry, if you moved to Canada, you'd not only be closer to your new favorite sport, but you could probably get more than one station on your radio. Great for you. And you couldn't continue to help send this country's economy off the edge of the cliff. Better for us.

2. nannykins on March 18th, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey Doug – did you hear about our mayor here in Lansing? It is being reported that he ordered the Lansing PD to stand down and not back up the Michigan State Police when the union thugs got out of hand at the capitol. Here is the link http://www.wwmt.com/articles/lansing-1388582-msp-

Sounds like shades of the shakedown of businesses in WI by the head of the police union.

3. Doug on March 18th, 2011 12:07 pm

Leave it to Virg to side with the law breakers! Too bad the LPD is in his pocket too.

4. Marshall_Will on March 18th, 2011 1:00 pm

"And you couldn't continue to help send this country's economy off the edge of the cliff"

Well said Sir. When referring to the Housing Debacle ( just prior to registering half of Tecate into NV, c'mon.., it's 'close' ) wasn't it 'he' who said; "I didn't -cause- this!?"

Yo! Dude, yeah YOU.., a-hole! Then why is Las Vegas the Poster Child for the Housing Bubble? Stoop-f@ck. Oh hey.., I can log ON again! No fault of the PTB. Had a thunderous storm in Salem, OR and ISP was OTF. Good to feel the love!

5. Marshall_Will on March 18th, 2011 1:03 pm

nannykins,

We discussed that locally on the Portland blog ( Victoria Taft, great gal ) and were AGHAST at how brazen they were in their assertions! Many of us openly wondered if their Rent-A-Cop In Chief was familiar w/ the Statutes that pertain to Extortion?

Nah….

6. TheLiberalMedia on March 18th, 2011 1:29 pm

"union thugs" … "lawbreakers"

start an argument or point based on a false premise much?

7. nannykins on March 18th, 2011 1:31 pm

MW – I was fishing around looking to follow up on the Wisconsin situation and it sounds like very few rank and file came forward to denounce the letter. How sad that we cannot even trust those who we pay to protect us. I am very much second guessing the faith, trust and honor that I have always placed with those who wear the badge.

8. nannykins on March 18th, 2011 1:37 pm

Um check out the law breakers here and tell us we are lying?

9. Marshall_Will on March 18th, 2011 1:52 pm

"sounds like very few rank and file came forward to denounce the letter"

I… I hate ta'… I.. Pffftt! ( Sorry! )

As I have often said: I.Can't.Afford.The.Hero.Trades! If you see me and I'm "en fuego" ( just keep moving along, nothing to see 'here' folks? ) I am worth more to Mrs. dead than 'alive' anyway.

The 'police'? In Portland, Auto Theft is now "reported by mail". Has been for years. They have lost all sense of urgency about anything expect themselves.

10. TheLiberalMedia on March 18th, 2011 2:22 pm

Wow, a legit news outlet like "Moonbattery" is a great source for all infomation! Nice job nannykins.

I am not sure what I am supposed to take from that chilling video of a bunch of white guys doing nothing,but it hardly lives up to the billing of lawbreaking union thugs.

Try a credible source, not the right wing blogosphere. We already know the truth is at best optional there.

11. Marshall_Will on March 18th, 2011 2:42 pm

"Multiple credible sources tell Newschannel 3 that MSP had an agreement with Lansing Police for support in case things got out of hand."

FYI. D!ckhaid.

12. Marshall_Will on March 18th, 2011 2:47 pm

Less a' course WWMT is being controlled by the 'Right Wing Blogoshpere" ?

Sorry, hadn't realized Eisenhower was no longer in office? Right 'Wing'… ( who 'says' that any more? ) Yuh…yuh… long-haired hippie freak!

13. Doug on March 18th, 2011 2:51 pm

Yeah, please only use legitimate sources, like Think Progress or Media Matters.

Did I jump the gun by calling people who got arrested "lawbreakers" or are we assuming they got arrested because they didn't break the law?

14. nannykins on March 18th, 2011 3:16 pm

Okay Mr. Liberal Weenie – here is the report from local TV station WAOW. And the fact that you support union thugs writing profanity on petitions and tearing up petitions for this recall – really does say a lot about your character. So sad you support the destruction of our republic. http://www.waow.com/Global/story.asp?S=14231018

15. Marshall_Will on March 18th, 2011 3:25 pm

"Okay Mr. Liberal Weenie"

Lol, reminds me of the scene from Full Metal Jacket:

"Joker.., where's the weenie..? "Weenie" sir? With all that fire, the grunts must've hit 'something'? Give it a happy ending. Say a sapper.. or.. an officer? Grunts love hearing about DEAD officers!?"

Lol.

16. sizemorew on March 18th, 2011 8:45 pm

Yes, you did. They're "lawbenders" at the worst. At best, the police acted stupidly.

17. Doug on March 18th, 2011 11:32 pm

Semantics mostly… if I get a ticket for driving 10 mph over the limit, am I a lawbender or lawbreaker?

If that story holds water, I agree that the police acted stupidly … the Lansing police, that is.