The above will have to suffice for an anti-war slogan in the Obama era:

In the last few days, Obama administration officials have frequently faced the question: Is the fighting in Libya a war? From military officers to White House spokesmen up to the president himself, the answer is no. But that leaves the question: What is it?

In a briefing on board Air Force One Wednesday, deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes took a crack at an answer. “I think what we are doing is enforcing a resolution that has a very clear set of goals, which is protecting the Libyan people, averting a humanitarian crisis, and setting up a no-fly zone,” Rhodes said. “Obviously that involves kinetic military action, particularly on the front end.”

Rhodes’ words echoed a description by national security adviser Tom Donilon in a briefing with reporters two weeks ago as the administration contemplated action in Libya. “Military steps — and they can be kinetic and non-kinetic, obviously the full range — are not the only method by which we and the international community are pressuring Gadhafi,” Donilon said.

Sources tell me that if the situation in Libya escalates, it will then be referred to as “kinetic military action with kung-fu grip.”

Incidentally, this particular kinetic military action has the lowest approval of any Gallup-polled kinetic military action ever. It might have something to do with the absence of an entrance strategy let alone an exit strategy and the fact that Obama said Kaddafi had to go one day, then he could stay the next. Decisiveness? You bet.

There’s a new movie coming out revolving around this topic — might be interesting:

Comments

11 Responses to “‘Make Love, Not Kinetic Military Action!’”

1. sizemorew on March 24th, 2011 4:43 pm

This administration loves making up fun new terms in order to cover their butts.

2. Marshall_Will on March 24th, 2011 4:52 pm

“kinetic military action with kung-fu grip.”

Without the kung fu grip ( ya' got nothin' ) Another nanny-state caused disaster.

3. swede on March 24th, 2011 5:27 pm

"IMPEACHMENT" – Though Nannykins' entry is compelling…

Procedural Evacuation of Vacuous Vagrant – might be more Soetoroish.

4. Marshall_Will on March 24th, 2011 5:45 pm

Lol, hey never get me wrong, 'my' politics are pretty simple:

( Kill 'em and let GOD sort 'em out!? ) So why not just come out and say it? Insofar as The Admin. getting touchy about all the hyper-criticism from the Right, start liking it and you brought it upon yourselves!

5. swede on March 24th, 2011 6:04 pm

Kill 'em and let GOD sort 'em out!?

True enough – but I'm thinkin' that's a breach of the new Universal Parameters for Civil Discourse Directive. I'm afeared I have to turn you into George & Bubba's civility police. Hand over your gun and come along nice 'n quiet.

6. KevinL on March 24th, 2011 7:23 pm

Hmm, if "Winning The Future" becomes "wtf", what does "Kinetic Military Action" become?

7. Marshall_Will on March 24th, 2011 7:25 pm

swede,

Thanks for the 'intervention' but it's always been a Pacific Fleet kind of saying? For a good many years, and probably as true today, most sailors don't really have what you could call 'politics'? For the most part, we had no desire to get involved in school boards, local mayor etc. ( Dogs & Sailors Kepp Off The LAWN! )

The only thing that really matters to someone stuck on a SHIP ( read floating prison/insane asylum ) is Foreign Policy. As in why did they have to send 'someone' and if they -did- have to send 'someone' how come they had to send 'US'!?

As in; why do we have to waste… a lotta' time sortin' 'em out ( when they probably ALL hate America! ) that way we can all be home for Christmas? The saying I'm sure ( out of frustration ) is AFAIK, a shorthand way of encapsulating all of 'that'. Make sense?

8. swede on March 24th, 2011 7:50 pm

It does. Just my usual warped humor. (or lack thereof) "Shoot straight,take no prisoners, , target rich environment, close enough for a hand grenade, etc. are all very useful metaphors in civie life. The absurdity of the brouhaha about Palin's "Bullseye" and Giffords just put the PC nonsense over the top IMHO.

I am humbled. Thank's for your service Marshall.

9. swede on March 24th, 2011 7:53 pm

"what does "Kinetic Military Action" become? "

My guess would be a giant clusterfark. Sorry the letters dont match. ;-)

10. Marshall_Will on March 24th, 2011 9:45 pm

"close enough for a hand grenade"

That… 'works'? Never any need to thank me. I'd have done it all again for free beer. In faaaact, I've recently shared that if we want to get our budget/finances in order, senior enlisted and ALL the officers in a non-deployed status should be Drilling for reduced/eliminated pay.

I know that sounds rad but these are rad times and no one else seems willing to make any sacrifices? It should all still "count toward your '20' ". Btw, just for a goof I enrolled in P90X and my sr. officer calls me "Sgt. Will "Special Forces! ( Oh… 'Supply' Forces! )

11. Jim T. on March 25th, 2011 12:42 pm