Thirty years ago today I was a freshman in high school. I remember being at track practice when somebody came outside to say that Reagan had been shot.

You’ve seen the news video before, but below is a recently released audio of the Secret Service chatter during and subsequent to the assassination attempt. At about 40 seconds in you can hear one Secret Service member say “Rawhide is okay” — they didn’t realize Reagan had been shot, let alone very close to fatally:

Meanwhile, the attorney for John Hinckley Jr. is seeking more freedom for his client. Those opposed include several psychiatrists and Jodie Foster.

Comments

13 Responses to “Reagan Assassination Attempt: 30 Years Ago Today”

1. nannykins on March 30th, 2011 3:07 pm

I had been home only a week with a new baby and my two yr. old when the news broke. I was glued to the tv all day. Thank goodness the secret service chose to take him to the hospital. Love his "Rawhide" monniker too. How fitting for a great man.

On that note – any guesses as to what the secret service call "Duh One"?

I can't think of anything "manly" that even describes him. So I'll go with "Puppy Chow".

2. Doug on March 30th, 2011 3:24 pm

any guesses as to what the secret service call "Duh One"?

"Flawhide"?

"Judge Smails"?

3. Marshall_Will on March 30th, 2011 4:11 pm

P'BO's "All Secure" signal:

The Poop… is in the Scoop!

In the dreadful case of bad news:

TOTUS Down! TOTUS Down!

Booty call?:

"Bracketology"

Scoop the Poop:

$7,500 a Plate fund-raiser

4. backwoods on March 30th, 2011 4:13 pm

"Waffles".

5. Marshall_Will on March 30th, 2011 4:34 pm

Good… good…

I was 22 at the time and stationed aboard the USS Peleliu in The Yards at Long Beach, Cali. The whole crew was shocked. Most of us were just children when JFK was shot. Surreal didn't begin to describe it.

The Chaplain led us in prayer on the bow. It was a difficult time for all Americans. ISTR what made it 'more' so was the lunacy -behind- the 'motivation'? He did it 'why'…. again exactly?

Oh, JFTR, taking bets on what Doug finishes the Mile in today? Doug..?

6. nannykins on March 30th, 2011 4:58 pm

Which reminds me of the email that made it's way around the internet during the 2008 election

7. Doug on March 30th, 2011 5:02 pm

taking bets on what Doug finishes the Mile in today

I still haven't finished the one I started in high school yet.

8. Doug on March 30th, 2011 5:02 pm

taking bets on what Doug finishes the Mile in today

I still haven't finished the one I started in high school yet.

9. sizemorew on March 30th, 2011 5:32 pm

Scary footage there even without the sound. It's unnerving with it.

The attorney for Hinckley needs to take a long walk off a short pier. He can take his client with him. I'm sure they could both use such a stroll.

10. OK_Loyalist on March 31st, 2011 3:28 am

It's… Oh Great Hanger Of Drapes and Swish

11. Jim T. on March 31st, 2011 6:52 pm

Signal that he is taking a restroom break:

He's wee-weed up.

Also works to signal when he gets upset at Fox News and Talk Radio for criticizing him.

12. jjs on April 1st, 2011 12:51 am

My husband was supposed to present the colors at that event. One of the other soldier's mother was in town and so they swapped jobs. I remember driving to pick up Subway for dinner and the radio announcing that Reagan had died. I think about it every time I eat at Subway.

13. blogc2011 on December 6th, 2012 6:10 am

Nice post. I have been searching for articles about valves and actuators and your post really helps. Thanks a lot for posting this. Next month I am going to be on my holidays in Dubai I try to use these tips in it ???????