Opening day is finally here. I’ll be keeping an eye on the Tigers/Yankees this afternoon. It’s supposed to be a little wet and cold in the Bronx but they’re expecting to get the game in.

If you’re wondering, Obama will skip opening day for the Washington Nationals and won’t be throwing out the first pitch. I heard he couldn’t find his Mom Jeans so he decided to cancel.

Since it’s the symbolic start of spring, here’s the late, great Tigers announcer Ernie Harwell on baseball:

Comments

7 Responses to “Opening Day Open Thread”

1. Jeremie Jordan on March 31st, 2011 1:49 pm

Officially the end of the 'next year' talk for us Cubs fans. Now we must endure the season.

2. backwoods on March 31st, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Braves do in the post-Bobby Cox era.

3. nannykins on March 31st, 2011 2:12 pm

Heaven is gearing up for baseball today too because they have our beloved Ernie Harwell.

My 86 yr. old father-in-law can't remember what he had for breakfast but today he will be able to recite every statistic ever printed for the Tigers and his adopted team the Devil Rays.

Go Tigers!!! And thanks Doug for posting the Ernie Harwell piece – had a good cry and smile on my face all at once.

4. Marshall_Will on March 31st, 2011 2:21 pm

LOL!!!!

Jeremie, too funny! I'm a White Sox guy ( but virtually ALL of my [living] relatives are Cubbies Fans )

Still, as an Oregonian GOP'er, I…. can relate to the anguish Cubs fans go thru.

Heard the poor guy had to leave TOWN!

5. OK_Loyalist on March 31st, 2011 9:08 pm

I sure wonder what in the world happened to SPG

6. SignPainterGuy on April 1st, 2011 1:45 am

I`m back ! Lost my hard drive (maybe to the hack job at MM`s Place 2 weeks ago) on St Patty`s Day, the day before my 58th birthday…………too much fun out of the loop, not having i`net news and conversation with my friends. :-)

Getting all the software re-downloaded to have a place to restore to (new hard drive was totally blank) is a real adventure ! Lost all the firmware for both my digital cameras and printer and about 35 desktop shortcuts……..nothing like plenty to do !

It`s good to be back !