A government shutdown looms at the end of the week (that’s one way to stop spending so much), and Rep. Paul Ryan submitted a budget proposal that would cut $5.8 trillion from current spending levels over the next decade. He calls it the “path to prosperity.”

Here’s a chart comparing the current trend if left unchecked to what Ryan’s proposing:

I don’t show that with the assumption that the “savings” shown are entirely accurate or not accurate, but we do know that Pelosi & Company are spending us to death. That’s why Pelosi’s analysis is hilarious, because she called Ryan’s plan a “path to poverty.” Yeah, we just can’t afford to not keep spending money like a drunken, botox-filled sailor.

As they say in informercials, “But wait, there’s more!”

Under Ryan’s plan, old people will also starve to death, and the threat of that makes Pelosi find God:

On Monday during a photo opportunity for the Hunger Fast Coalition, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said the Republican budget will force seniors into starvation. The former House Speaker also used “the Gospel” to justify more government spending.

“In one of the bills before us, six million seniors are deprived of meals — homebound seniors are deprived of meals. People ask us to find our common ground, the middle ground. Is middle ground three million seniors not receiving meals? I don’t think so. We’ve got to take this conversation from a debate about numbers and dollar figures and finding middle ground there to the higher ground of national values. I don’t think the American people want any one of those six million people to lose their meals or the children who are being thrown off of Head Start and the rest of it.”

“When I hear you speak about this issue, of course it’s the Gospel of Matthew: When I was hungry, he gave me to eat and the rest of it goes on.

Since Nancy’s in a biblical mood, how about Romans 13:8: “Pay your debts as they come due…”

Have you ever noticed that Pelosi has quoted the Bible when discussing many topics but never when talking about abortion? Why is that?

Update: Will Dems come up with a spending cut plan to counter Paul Ryan’s? Absolutely! … Eventually… sooner than later… in a little while

Update II: There is something that would accomplish the same debt reductions that Ryan’s plan would — how about an 88% tax increase? Gee, I wonder which plan the Dems would be more likely to support.

Update III: Rep. Emanuel Cleaver says Paul Ryan’s budget is a “nervous breakdown on paper.” For Democrats it is, sure — but what isn’t?

Comments

24 Responses to “Pelosi’s Predictable Response to Paul Ryan’s Budget Proposal”

1. R T on April 5th, 2011 4:09 pm

From the link you provided. The full verse reads:

Pay your debts as they come due. However, one debt you can never finish paying is the debt of love that you owe each other. The one who loves another person has fulfilled Moses' Teachings.

2. Nanny on April 5th, 2011 4:10 pm

To make sure graft is available for people like this

3. Doug on April 5th, 2011 4:40 pm

For Pelosi I'd also recommend Ephesians 4:28: "Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need."

That means "help people who need help, but use your own means and don't swipe somebody else's money to do it."

4. Marshall_Will on April 5th, 2011 4:52 pm

The old… "hockey stick chart" huh? Check out that ramp BABY!

Problem is, once you've gone Neg. Cash Flow, good luck finding creditors to support your 'habit' any longer? So no, at that rate you can FORGET about the year 2080?

From our current position the best we can hope for is the Trump Atlantic Bonds! Don't if you guys recall but The Donald always paid more for money than the rest of The Street. Back in the mid-90's he rolled out the TA Bonds and they were paying 11.25% when everyone else was at 8.0%.

It made them an easy sell but when you looked at the Bal. Sheet my Sales Mgr. said ( better hope none of the Help breaks a DISH!? ) I mean he just ran things 'that' tight! FFO ( Funds From Operations ) barely… serviced the Debt. That is now our 'best' case scenario.

5. Marshall_Will on April 5th, 2011 5:17 pm

I Plead Catholic.

6. SignPainterGuy on April 5th, 2011 7:20 pm

I watched in amazement and shook my head as my buddy would "buy" trailer loads of tires, agree to the 30, 60, 90 day pmts (for each load), all the while knowing that the ONLY way for that to happen was for the weather to be perfect, have near record racer attendance, no crash injuries or equipment failures (his or the racers), for an entire season (March thru October)………never happened ! It became an intolerable environment that I had to escape….at the expense of a 42 year friendship and my shop space ! Bummer !

7. SignPainterGuy on April 5th, 2011 7:25 pm

Am I reading the chart right, the best years for "Debt as a Percentage of GDP" were the Nixon thru Reagan and GWB years ?!

8. Marshall_Will on April 5th, 2011 7:52 pm

Well no, I think that's a perfect analogy as a matter of fact! Hey, I grew up lower-middle class and I never really HAD a choice as to "how much RISK I was willing to 'take' "?

When you have nothing to INHERIT, hell you have no place to go but UP! Most of the posters here got where they got simply b/c they were the only ones willing to DO the job! And I'm fine w/ it. Really.

But this country has/HAD tremendous… resources! Endless resources. I mean we were a global power. Now we're broke! How'd that happen?

9. rachacha on April 5th, 2011 8:37 pm

SignPainter:
    Reagan,Bush I and Bush II all showed an increase in the percentage of debt to GDP. Every Democratic president from Truman through Clinton saw a reduction in the percentage of debt to GDP. That's a fact, my tea partying friends.

10. Pasadena Phil on April 5th, 2011 8:39 pm

How many more cute kittens, playful puppies and fluffy bunnies must die before conservatives are satisfied?!? Oh-h-h-h the humanity!

11. OK_Loyalist on April 5th, 2011 9:00 pm

One thing is for sure, you will never ever ever be able to say that about °O°.

Without seeing links to charts, and pointing out who had control of the purse, it's easy to say that.

12. backwoods on April 5th, 2011 9:07 pm

The graph shows a decline during the Eisenhower, Nixon, and Ford administrations and an increase during the Clinton administration.

Nothing excuses the drastic increase in debt during the Obama misadministration.

13. Marshall_Will on April 5th, 2011 9:19 pm

Well, Nixon had a little thing goin' on called The Viet Nam War but..?

When you have pols that can't -wait- to ramp up Debt ( almost invariably expressed as a % of GDP! ) what can possibly go wrong w/ that!? I mean isn't that how -you- guys run your finances/biz?

And you're absolutely right OK, when compared to Obie's Trajectory ( everything else is a rounding error )

14. Bear1909 on April 5th, 2011 9:22 pm

Would we have been in this mess without the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac crisis blowoff by Frank and Dodd? The Wall Street bailouts? The GM bailouts? The Stimulus? TARP? Who care's whose watch these were on? They were passed as LAW.

Time to pay the piper. Screw Pelosi and the rest of the sniveling pigs at the trough. They got RICH off of all of that pork. Now, let them choke on it as their legacy goes down the sewer of indebtedness to the Chinese.

We will get through this. And when we do, liberalism will have perished along with all their promises to care for everybody else at someone else's expense. The Goverment makes Bernie Madoff look like a purse snatcher. Ponzi scheme deluxe

15. OK_Loyalist on April 5th, 2011 10:24 pm

I agree.

Levin tonight said (sic), "So do you really think it was all them meals for seniors that got us into this mess?"

16. Marshall_Will on April 5th, 2011 10:53 pm

Thank You Mark…!

Yes, no question, -that- is what broke us! Lol.

MOREOVER: When you look at The Housing Bust.., AND The Bailout needed to staunch the bleeding, clearly, 80% of that IMPACT came from 20 ZIP CODES! Not even the entire freaking STATE! Primarily in FL, Vegas, PHX, SAC, SoCal and a HANDFUL of other ZIP CODES!

But even Doug and the rest of the Midwesterners are on the HOOK for this BS!? Like are you -kidding- me? *Bear 1909, thank you for re-centering the debate. The Connected Right has made this the Gov's ( read You & Me ) problem.., The Left has now seen fit to make it a Social Problem. It is neither. Check it out. 80% of the Defaults came from 20 Zip Codes. Am I steamed or WHAT!?

17. Marshall_Will on April 5th, 2011 10:55 pm

Oh and almost EXCLUSIVELY *BLUE* Zip Codes!

Like Gunnery Sgt. Hartman said in Full Metal Jacket:

"They're PAYING for it.., you EAT IT!"

( How is everyone else's Jelly Doughnut? )

18. OK_Loyalist on April 5th, 2011 10:59 pm

LOL, you have been jazzed today, I've gotten a kick out of it :)

I liked your retort, "percentages don't accrue".

19. Doug on April 5th, 2011 11:06 pm

Ha! Good line.

20. Doug on April 5th, 2011 11:08 pm

You seem to have left out a recent president… how's he in debt to GDP?

21. OK_Loyalist on April 5th, 2011 11:10 pm
  22. SignPainterGuy on April 5th, 2011 11:38 pm

Funny readin` there, OK, and Hangfire`s imaginings of C.A. is hilarious !

23. OK_Loyalist on April 5th, 2011 11:49 pm

It sure is, LOL

24. SignPainterGuy on April 6th, 2011 12:10 am

I take it he imagines she is a Harley rider !

I`ve heard testimony from both sides of the gender aisle……….The Harley-Davidson motorcycle is a "multitasking" piece of machinery !! Pleasure in various forms !

The kick-start is old school …