Keep the faith, Bill. There’s always a chance that Mayor Bloomberg will turn the place back into the cesspool it was before Giuliani cleaned it up:

Former President Bill Clinton on Wednesday said the city had improved Times Square by making it a family- and pedestrian-friendly place but said its former mix of prostitutes and colorful characters was “romantic” and “fascinating.”

Clinton appeared with Mayor Bloomberg Wednesday as they announced the merger of their climate groups — Climate Initiative and C40 — and boasted that turning cars away from the tourist mecca in the center of the city had improved air quality.

“When I was 18 years in November of 1964, a freshman at Georgetown, I first went to Times Square. I bought a steak at Tad’s Steakhouse. I heard a guy ream his mother out, poor working woman, because she’d given him a hi-fi instead of a stereo speaker. I remember everything about it,” he said, according to a transcript of his remarks published by The New York Times.

“I saw a hooker approach a man in a gray flannel suit. Pretty heavy stuff for a guy from Arkansas. My view is it’s way better now. You have to look at the overall numbers. Yes, look, I still have vivid memories of it. Romantic, fascinating.”

And Bill still owns that gray flannel suit.

Update: NBC New York really runs with the subject in their headline.

Video here. Hey, it’s no joke, he does still have that gray suit.

Comments

6 Responses to “Bill Clinton Misses Those Romantic Days When Times Square was Crawling with Hookers”

1. Marshall_Will on April 14th, 2011 1:32 pm

"Another breath of fresh air is expected to be added to the "Crossroads of the World" this summer with al fresco dining areas in the works. Up to five vendors will be contracted to take orders and serve food to people sitting at the 350 red chairs and 100 tables within the car-free area,"

Gag! ( Is it too late to bring back the hookers? )

2. Marshall_Will on April 14th, 2011 1:37 pm

Gotta' hand it to Ol' Bubba. The statement is really three-fold.

Takes bow for "saving the city". Check!

Primes stage for next book/speaking tour ( what 'else' hasn't he told us about? )

Shows the ladies "he's still got it!" Double check!

3. Nanny on April 14th, 2011 2:16 pm

I'll bet many a stain has been dry cleaned from that grey flannel suit too!!!

4. joyannaadams on April 14th, 2011 3:57 pm

Yes…and I bet he also misses all those "LIVE SEX ON STAGE!" acts in Times Square which were on every block.

I remember seeing my first prostitute on Times Square—. I was walking, and there on the sidewalk was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life. She was so beautiful that I just stood there and stared. And then a man came up and offered her $50..(this was quite a while ago, and she agreed)! And then, I was informed that she was a HE.

The guy had a gray suit on. (okay, nobody makes this stuff up, but he really did have a gray suit on…maybe…just maybe…)

5. SignPainterGuy on April 14th, 2011 8:23 pm

Dangit Nanny, I`ve been away all day and was planning on saying the same thing ! (snaps fingers – kicks dirt)

6. OK_Loyalist on April 15th, 2011 12:59 am

I bet the cigar shops miss those days too.