Today my youngest son took his shooting test as part of the hunter safety course he’s almost finished with. In the picture below he’s using a 20 gauge and taking aim at a disk of flying clay — that’s his instructor next to him. He hit the skeet on 60% of his shots, which I think is pretty good for somebody who’s never done it before.

I probably won’t post again until morning, so feel free to use this space to discuss anything you like. It’s been a fairly slow news day, which sometimes is a good thing.

By the way, if you missed Sarah Palin’s excellent speech at the Wisconsin Tea Party rally earlier today, I have a link to the video in my post over at Michelle M’s place.

“Pull!”

Comments

9 Responses to “Saturday Afternoon Skeet Shootin’ Open Thread”

1. backwoods on April 16th, 2011 8:12 pm

I love skeet shooting. It's been way too long since I did it.

2. SignPainterGuy on April 16th, 2011 8:36 pm

Too much cammy-flag, Doug, I can`t see your son, just a hat and a gun ! ;-)

I have never shot skeet, no skeet ever did anything to bother me ! Don`t golf for the same reason !

A friend of mine, being shown a new shotgun for the first time, filled a 7-up can w/ gravel, tossed it into the air, raised the gun and put a hole through the can dead-center. I told him I`d never make him mad enough to want to shoot at me !

There`s just nothin` like shooting at reactive targets for a bit of stress relief !

3. backwoods on April 16th, 2011 8:55 pm

I've never been interested in clubbing golfs.

4. backwoods on April 16th, 2011 9:27 pm

There are some tailgaters on the highway I'd like to club, but that's another story.

5. Clu Seatoe on April 16th, 2011 9:50 pm

You’re lucky, SPG. Skeet was my dad’s nickname for my younger sister when we were kids. When she got old enough to decide she wanted to be called by her given name she made out lives miserable until we got out of the habit. At that point three teenage boys entered the realm of ‘respecting your younger sister’s wishes.’

We’d a’been better off throwing rocks at bee hive.

6. SignPainterGuy on April 16th, 2011 10:24 pm

In 7th grade, one smart alec kid stuck a nickname on me, the young version of my last name, and it stuck……..oh I hated it and tried to get the guys to stop calling me that, but that just fed the fire, I was forever branded. So I embraced it ! To this day, (I`m 58) people still call me by my nickname. (shaking head)

After some years, my Dad and I were talking about it and he mentioned that a man at the mill had tried to stick the same nickname on him, but he ignored it and it faded away. The surprise was that he was the smart alec`s Dad !

The first few years my Wife and I were together, we`d be driving along and I`d throw my hand up at someone. She`d ask, "Who was that ?" I`d roll off a nickname, like Turnip, Skeeter (there were 2), Moose (3 of those, I knew 2), Roundman (2), etc. She asked, "Does everyone have a nickname ?" I told her, "Everybody that IS anybody !" Then it was, "Do you know everybody ?" (I waved a lot) I reminded her that it IS a small town !

7. Doug on April 17th, 2011 12:44 am

There was a little added challenge in that it was kind of windy, so the skeets had a knuckle-ball effect going on.

But after a while I was wishing I'd have signed up for the class to just to do some shooting on that big range.

8. SignPainterGuy on April 17th, 2011 1:38 am

As I said earlier, "There`s nothin` like shooting at reactive targets to relieve a bit of stress !"

My shootin` buddy and I save small cans for targets. We use affordable .22 cal. rifles and bounce the cans around the field next to his house. Then we set them on fence posts at increasing distances until neither of us can hit them. A box of 50 or 100 go too quickly !

I`m glad to hear you and your Son can have good moments like this ! Good memories !

9. cdl on April 17th, 2011 11:37 am

Great pic Doug. Now that's the kind of gun control we need more of.

Shh…Rover's on point. Be ready.