“It’s a jobless bird… it’s an out of work plane… it’s — Super Unemployed Man!”

ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida officials are investigating an unemployment agency that spent public money to give 6,000 superhero capes to the jobless.

Workforce Central Florida spent more than $14,000 on the red capes as part of its “Cape-A-Bility Challenge” public relations campaign. The campaign featured a cartoon character, “Dr. Evil Unemployment,” who needs to be vanquished.

“Dr. Evil Unemployment” wouldn’t happen to be from Chicago and currently living in DC, would he?

Not only did taxpayers pay for the capes, but we’re paying people to think up these kinds of absolute embarrassments. What are the super-powers of Unemployed Man? The ability to leap well beyond 99 weeks in a single bound?

By the way, there actually is an “Unemployed Man,” and Florida might owe him a few dollars for swiping the idea:

Comments

12 Responses to “Your Tax Dollars at Work: Florida Agency Spends $14,000 on Superhero Capes for the Unemployed”

1. Nanny on April 19th, 2011 6:15 pm

Lordy! Lordy! Lordy! Are these unemployed adults or frickin 2 yr. olds?????

2. SignPainterGuy on April 19th, 2011 7:16 pm

Good question, Nanny. If you asked them, you`d likely not get a satisfactory answer ! They no doubt believe the unemployed are infantile !

3. SignPainterGuy on April 19th, 2011 7:25 pm

Just noticed on Glenn Beck, the other country whose economy has been rated as "negative" is Spain ! Yep, the very same country whose "green" economy our rearless feeders, oops, I mean fearless leaders chose to model our economy on ! Their unemployment rate is 20+% !

4. OK_Loyalist on April 19th, 2011 10:16 pm

rearless feeders

Nice !

5. OK_Loyalist on April 19th, 2011 10:20 pm

The comic book would of been more realistic if they used °O° instead …. cue up JibJab SPG

6. SignPainterGuy on April 19th, 2011 10:35 pm

JibJab nailed that one like a stud in a wall !

7. Doug on April 20th, 2011 1:05 am

Has anybody else had trouble accessing the site? I've heard from a couple of people via email that they got an "access forbidden" when trying to get on, and there's a comment at Michelle Malkin's site that says the same thing.

I'm just trying to use my limited tech knowledge to try and figure it out.

8. backwoods on April 20th, 2011 2:08 am

It was happening to me earlier this afternoon. What surprised me was how long it went on, at least an hour or more. I went to bed early so I can't say when it ended.

9. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2011 2:11 am

Yeah Doug, from just after 6:pm til 8: ish. It`s happened several times the past week or so, but only once at a time. This time, it apparently hit everyone !

Glad to see you`re back in action !

Oh, it happened once (Only) at MJ`s Stone Soup earlier. I wonder if it`s a wandering gremlin ? Same server # and 403 FORBIDDEN notice ! ODD…….

10. Nanny on April 20th, 2011 10:43 am

Glad your back Doug – I sent you the message over at MM last nite. Lasted for about two hours and I gave up and baked a cake instead!!!

11. Doug on April 20th, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks! Let me know if there are any problems. My guess it was a server issue… hopefully isolated to only the past couple of days.

12. Florida Gives Superhero Capes To Unemployed | on April 21st, 2011 1:33 am

[...] “Your Tax Dollars at Work: Florida Agency Gives Superhero Capes to the Unemployed” and r… (dougpowers.com) [...]