If you ever see me laughing when Donald Trump is speaking at a Tea Party rally, this is part of the reason:

Trump is allied with the tea party movement in favoring repeal of the health care law and opposing tax hikes. But while exploring a 2000 Reform Party presidential bid, part-time Palm Beacher Trump supported universal health care and a one-time 14.25 percent “wealth tax” on individuals and estates with a net worth of more than $10 million.

But that was more than a decade ago.

More recently, Trump has given campaign contributions to some high-profile tea party foes.

Trump gave $2,400 in 2009 to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., who hung onto his seat in November against tea party favorite Sharron Angle.

Trump has also given $8,900 over the years to House and Senate campaigns of Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., who was recently overheard coaching fellow Dems to brand GOP budget cuts “extreme” to try to drive a wedge between House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and the tea party movement.

Trump also gave $4,800 to former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist‘s 2010 Senate campaign. Trump contributed in October 2009, when Crist was still a Republican trying to fend off a tea party-boosted primary challenge from eventual winner Marco Rubio.

I’ve heard people say, “He’s a businessman… many businessmen give money to both parties like Trump does.” To a degree that’s true, but those with true political conviction don’t always feel the need to do that — George Soros for example.

Donald Trump says he’s a conservative, but does anybody know an actual conservative who could have donated campaign funds to Chuck Schumer and Harry Reid without stabbing the pen into their jugular and ending it all just after signing the checks? Simply put, I won’t vote for somebody who was capable, for whatever reason, of giving money to Ted Kennedy and Anthony Weiner. I’m having enough trouble getting past Newt Gingrich doing a global warming PSA with Nancy Pelosi (I still haven’t forgiven him) — so I’m not likely to forgive a “conservative” who helped get Dick Durbin re-elected.

Trump might be some sort of Republican in an Olympia Snowe kind of way — but he’s definitely not a conservative. I think Mark Levin hit it closest to the mark though when he called Trump an opportunist.

Comments

15 Responses to “Donald Trump: Tea Partier?”

1. backwoods on April 19th, 2011 4:42 pm

I'd say he's doing too much partying and I wonder what his tea is spiked with.

2. Joe Redfield on April 19th, 2011 5:03 pm

If H. Ross Trump is a conservative then I am the King of Siam. And, if Newt Gingrich is not a complete piece of slime then I am the Queen of Siam.

3. Nanny on April 19th, 2011 5:22 pm

I can't stand looking at the man – that hair – ugh!!! But I will say one positive thing about him – he is getting the MSM all wee-weeed up over his Zero comments and for that I like him. Anyone who disses the MSM's beloved Zero – to their faces no less – is okay with me.

4. Marshall_Will on April 19th, 2011 5:44 pm

That aside, I heard him say something in an interview I haven't heard in quite some time. When being asked by ( Candy Crowley? ) re: Mitt he said:

"I'M a better businessman than HE is!" ( I'll stop right there. He went on to draw a number of other distinctions, but I'll stop there )

Wow. Any idea how long it's been since I heard -anyone- say that? Glad you asked. Larry Ellison ( Oracle ) said that of Bill Gates ( Microsoft ) circa 1997. Ever since all we've gotten is BEGGARS going to DC's "Altar" to see if they are worthy to have their case heard on the matter of "Picking Winners & Losers". Hadn't heard since, until yesterday.

5. SignPainterGuy on April 19th, 2011 7:30 pm

The Quing of Siam just doesn`t sound like s/he would cast a very imposing shadow !

6. OK_Loyalist on April 19th, 2011 10:23 pm

Levin is railing on him again tonight as I type this. Trump needs to shut up while he's ahead, but like Nanny I do like how he's jack with the MSM.

7. joyannaadams on April 19th, 2011 11:27 pm

Odd man out here…I LOVE the guy. I just wrote a two page essay on WHY…but I was told it was much too long! (LOL)

I can't help my independent self. I can't get enough of him telling it like it is. He donated money to these guys because if he DIDN"T he could not get permits to build his buildings. (In his books)

What does Mitt Romney build? Harry Reid controls Las Vegas (the mob and the democrats are merged in case you haven't heard…unions? Remember?) so Donald has to donate to Harry, as does ANYONE who does stuff there.

Businesses donate to whoever they think will be in power. It's OUR country. rule, like it or not. We…are Russia in that respect, wrapped in 3-D HDTV.

8. joyannaadams on April 19th, 2011 11:27 pm

The politicans DO control all govenmental buidling permits. And that's what he does, BUILD. As far as universal health care…maybe he's learned it's crap. Marko Rubio…is Jeb Bush's man. He might be a GW clone.

I'm STILL having a hard time forgiving GW. Came on like a Cowboy, turned into a Bucking Rhino.

Now…Trump's my man..unless Michelle Malkin decides to run, and save us all. He may be an opportunist..but really…name ONE poltician that is NOT.

Mark Levin should run…he is so upset…why doesn't he? The more the better.

I'm with Rush Limbaugh on this.

(Hey, don't hate me…remember…I ADORE Mr. Powers.)

9. OK_Loyalist on April 19th, 2011 11:52 pm

LOL

I find that ending humorous, Levin had some other Trump goodies tonight, will post when I find.

10. OK_Loyalist on April 20th, 2011 12:40 am
  11. joyannaadams on April 20th, 2011 12:59 am

Yeah…Levin and Rove…what a show!

12. Doug on April 20th, 2011 1:01 am

Okay, if Trump would agree to have Joyanna Adams as his VP maybe he'd get my vote… my only demand would be that they switch hair and that Joyanna be the one who gets to tell Obama "you're fired!"

13. joyannaadams on April 20th, 2011 1:08 am

I would gladly switch my hair with Donald if I got the opportunity to tell Obama

"You're fired!"

Trouble is: I would want to have a National day of celebration to boot!

14. OK_Loyalist on April 20th, 2011 1:28 am

Not any more than the joyannaadams show

15. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2011 2:29 am

I`d give a day`s pay to watch it and bring champagne for the celebration !