Obama and the Democrats pledged the most transparent administration ever, and they weren’t kidding. What’s easier to see through than a statement that implies with all the subtlety of a baseball bat to the groin, “If your company donated money to Republicans instead of Democrats, you’re probably not going to get government contracts”?

From Politico:

The Obama administration is considering a number of measures to compel disclosure of the kind of anonymous campaign contributions that helped finance millions of dollars of attack ads against Democrats during the 2010 elections.

The White House last week began circulating a draft executive order that would require companies seeking government contracts to disclose contributions – including those that otherwise would have been secret – to groups that air political ads attacking or supporting candidates.

Another way to phrase this, especially with 2012 just around the corner, could be, “Give money to Democrats next year and you just might (you never know) be more likely to get that government contract you’re bidding on.” The nudge factor in this is so high that it’ll knock you out of your chair.

Here’s the funny part: in the draft executive order that may end up in political affiliation or leanings of government contractors (or would-be contractors) be disclosed in all bids, it’s ordered that political favoritism will play no part in the decision-making process if this is implemented:

Politics can’t play a part when the government makes its decision? Uh-huh… in that case, why do this at all? Wouldn’t the best way to ensure that politics plays no part to be to avoid politics altogether?

You’ll notice too that Obama’s possible attempt to impose the DISCLOSE Act in spite of Congress, the FEC and the Supreme Court knocking it down is directed only toward government contracters — the companies themselves and their management… not the unions. That’s not surprising at all, just worth noting.

The Obama Administration’s quest for transparency: Mission Accomplished!â„¢

Update: The road to transparency in the era of Hope & Change is, of course, a one-way street:

Pres. Obama often trumpets that his White House is more transparent and open than any other. But it’s clear he does not apply that approach to his political fund-raising.

The president attended three fundraisers last Thursday in Chicago. His political operation revealed the price range of tickets, from $100 to $35,800 per person, and also disclosed the number of people in attendance. But it declined to provide an official estimate of how much money would be raised. Reporters could try to estimate the amounts.

Comments

17 Responses to “Team Obama Fulfulling Transparency Pledge: Now Easier to See Through Than Saran Wrap”

1. Marshall_Will on April 20th, 2011 4:52 pm

An administration official stressed that the executive order, which cites state “pay-to-play” laws as a model, “is a draft … that is still moving through the standard review and feedback process” and “is not a final document.” But the official, who requested anonymity to discuss the working draft, said Obama “is committed to an overhaul of government contracting policies to promote accountability, transparency and competition.”

The Ultimate in Picking Winners & Losers. What a total and complete SCUMBAG! Is it 2012 yet? He gets this thru and it's Game Over. Of course, he has so 'many' ways to say; Game Over. One fails, he's got 19 more lined up and waiting in the wings. End.This.Now

2. OK_Loyalist on April 20th, 2011 5:50 pm

Don Corleone would be proud.

3. Joe Redfield on April 20th, 2011 6:14 pm

Meanwhile, Rep. Issa is threatening contempt proceedings against ATF and DOJ for failing to respond to subpoenas for records on the gunwalker scandal. Just another portion of the new, improved, Progressive Transparency.

4. Doug on April 20th, 2011 6:18 pm

I guess until people prove they have the balls to MAKE Team Obama abide by legal orders they'll have no reason not to ignore them.

5. Nanny on April 20th, 2011 6:59 pm

Wanna know what is really criminal about all this? The complete lack of coverage of all this sh!t from the so called "press".

6. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2011 7:25 pm

In my early 20s when I would love to have gotten on with the DOT, it seemed they didn`t want me; in my 40s and since, the gooberment came to me wanting signwork or to be on their contractor list, 3 times I told them, "No thanks, I`m not interested in the anal exam, gov. regs and inspections I`d have to endure to get a contract or to be included in their 'list' !" Conversations with bus. aquaintances who have gone thru the process have convinced me that the freedom I have enjoyed has been more than worth the potential loss of income opportunities ! No regrets !

7. Marshall_Will on April 20th, 2011 7:27 pm

"gunwalker scandal"

You know Joe, that's a whole new perspective? Kind of like one of those uncontested "truck heists" as portrayed in say the movie Goodfellas.

Was this a matter of a well thought out, precision executed plan to actually 'track' the flow of weapons? Like are you KIDDING me! They flow one-way. From the U.S to Mex. and then come back in the form of body bags. What's to 'survey'?

Or was this just a matter of the Gov. getting in on the action? I'm not making any blanket accusations here, the story is still unfolding. But I've been around firearms my whole life and you don't let them just up and 'walk' out the door. Gunwalker. Making more sense all the time.

8. TheZooKeeper on April 20th, 2011 7:47 pm

The Obama administration is about as transparent as that lead bib they throw on you for your dental x-rays.

9. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2011 7:55 pm

The "Lead Bib" is soooooo much better because it does "Protect" some valuables and it comes off after a few moments……….N`est pas !?

10. Marshall_Will on April 20th, 2011 8:49 pm

Here's what it's boiling down to:

Obama has already come out and said, he's not going anywhere. He.Will.Do.What.It.Takes to get a 2nd Term. In fact, his whole 'first' Term was predicated there'd be a 2nd. I know see this as playing out like an Options Contract:

Dr. Mr. P'BO,

We ( The American People ) will -give- you the 2nd Term ( in advance, no messy/expensive elections necessary! ) IF… you agree to making it only a 2-Year-Term! You will get full run-of-the roost and can print as much money as you've ever dreamed… of ( however what remains of the legislative process will remain in place.

This is your SHOT Mr. P'BO. Of course after the 2nd mini-term you haven't fully converted us to Socialism, you will be removed from office forcibly if necessary. Never to return to these shores. Final Offer:

11. zillaoftheresistance on April 20th, 2011 9:58 pm

Freaking ay right!

12. zillaoftheresistance on April 20th, 2011 9:59 pm

Refusing to sell your soul generally does work out better in the long run. :) Glad you did OK!

13. zillaoftheresistance on April 20th, 2011 10:03 pm

So is anyone in the GOP bothering to hold him accountable for this crap, or are they staying true to their timid spineless nature while wondering why none of us is particularly enthusiastic about any of those soft squishy ninnies as potential POTUS candidates? With every passing day that nobody is impeaching Obama, I hate the stupid Republican party (that I've been registered to my entire voting life) a little bit more. Sissies.

14. zillaoftheresistance on April 20th, 2011 10:05 pm

Issa. Pffft! His threats have been largely meaningless. He was supposed to go after these bastards for realsies quite some time ago and then inexplicably backed down. There were lots of impeachable offenses. Whatever happened to the investigation of the strongarming of Joe Sleestack?

15. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2011 10:50 pm

It would be neat to drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway and feel the sense of pride having my work seen at the overlooks and exhibits, but the loss of privacy, the endless paperwork, the oppressive regs and OSHA, EPA, Labor Dept. and other org. inspections would have turned my bus. into a very hungry animal ! I like working alone and running my bus., not having my bus. run me !

16. SignPainterGuy on April 20th, 2011 10:58 pm

You`re holding back girl ! That`s bad for your blood pressure ! Turn loose and tell us how you REALLY feel before you blow a gasket ! ;-)

I gave the RNSC a loooooong piece of my mind, as I usually do, the last time they sent their usual "plea for money" poorly disguised as a survey ! IF they read those things, they know how we feel and what we think and want / demand of them….it`s now a question of DO THEY CARE ?

17. Nanny on April 21st, 2011 10:44 am

No – they don't care. They just want the $$$ to continue their false meme that they are looking out for us. I tell them in no uncertain terms to go to hell every time. I donate directly to candidates who prove they are worthy.