Meet some of the people who one day (if not already) could be cancelling out your vote.

From Business Insider as collected by Ned Hepburn, here’s a sampling:

You know, I half expected to see a Tweet from James Clapper in that mix.

Fortunately some are generously stepping forward to help explain:

Better than nothing, I suppose.

Comments

16 Responses to “‘Who is Osama bin Laden?’ — When Twitter and a Failed Educational System Collide”

1. fuzzlenutter on May 3rd, 2011 6:17 pm

Aaaah, yes…

The Governmental Propaganda Outlets seem to be working perfectly…

2. Granny55 on May 3rd, 2011 6:48 pm

My daughter and son-in-law ran into a bunch on Sunday nite that thought Obama had been killed. When they told them it was Osama bin Laden – their reaction was – who is that? And they did not know what 9/11 was!

This is such a sad, sad, sad indictment against our unionized schools. How can anyone not know what happened on 9/11/01? Yank every damn taxpayer dollar from these institutions and we will start getting an educated electorate in a couple years.

3. Granny55 on May 3rd, 2011 6:49 pm

And start charging parents with crimes for not insisting their children pay attention in class!!!

4. Clu Seatoe on May 3rd, 2011 6:53 pm

It would be very interesting to me to know what range age group these guys are. At least they’re asking. I’m sure there’s enough blame to go around for any lack of education. It depends on their ages and will they get or have they had that class in school yet. We know which side the teachers are on so don’t be too tuff on the kids. You don’t know what you’ve never been told.

In my reading in this part of life I will run across things that happened when I was growing up and I don’t remember ever hearing anything about them. Kid’s lives (including young teenagers) are about BFF’s, getting that first motorcycle, riding the dunes at Pismo Beach on the quad runner. Life is grueling. They don’t have to grow up too fast but now they’re asking and that’s a good sign. Tell them and make it fair and balanced. It’s part of life.

Getting an education in through “Tweets” has got to be difficult.

5. swede on May 3rd, 2011 7:11 pm

Who is Osama Bin Laden? Idunno. Who has Obama been leadin'? Nobody.

Heh.

6. Marshall_Will on May 3rd, 2011 7:41 pm

Clu,

I realize you're being perhaps a 'bit' flippant and this 'is' frustrating but overall, I have to absolutely agree w/ your take on this! You DON'T know what you've never been told and you CAN'T know what you don't know if no one ( especially those that are PAID to ) either don't care or know THEMSELVES!

Talk to a Lib of any age, emotion-driven talking points 'first', facts maybe later? We also need to consider the rate of attrition in their much expanded world from the one we grew up in. I've mentioned before but when I was a kid, there was basically (5) bands you had to know. Now there's new artists and fresh faces being rolled out each time they turn on MTV.

Last summer all we heard about was Lady G and Justin B, those two are already losing steam. With that high a turnover, who can blame 'em? Of course I'm only too happy to straighten them out!

7. Steve H on May 3rd, 2011 8:26 pm

I never believe surveys conducted with Teens (especially concerning sexual activity).
    They love to throw the results.

The reason I don't believe this one is simple – are we to believe these kids have never heard of Wikipedia ???

8. Nanny on May 3rd, 2011 8:26 pm

You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher BECAUSE of what parents are doing to their children. First off, I'd be the spanking teacher – so you know that wouldn't fly. These kids need a swift kick in the arse but not one parent will stand up to their kids anymore for fear of dept. of "social services" and getting arrested. We have let these a$$holes take over rearing our children and look what happened – Obama voters! The marxist teacher's union are now the "head of household". Just disgusting!!!

9. SignPainterGuy on May 3rd, 2011 8:27 pm

I had the opportunity to quiz my shop-partners son and his buddies, straight A students all, on their history and political / gov. knowledge. The best summary of their answers would be, "Wuuut ?"

It was a completely different story when music and sports was involved !

10. Marshall_Will on May 3rd, 2011 8:43 pm

"They love to throw the results."

Right, and pollsters haven't yet seemed to be able to figure out that for a teen that's being TOLD what to 'do' nearly every waking minute of every day, THEN all of a sudden a grown-up is asking you for your opinion!

Sheet, why didn't you just hand them the keys the Driver's Ed.-mobile? What 16 y.o old guy wants to put pen to paper and admit he's still a virgin? What 16 y.o girl wants to admit that she 'isn't'?

11. Joe Redfield on May 3rd, 2011 9:40 pm

Of course they don't know who 'Osama' is; apparently we've been misspelling his name all these years, and it's 'Usama'. Actually, the TV people unilaterally changed it yesterday because their idiot newsreaders kept confusing the terrorist with the President.

12. SignPainterGuy on May 3rd, 2011 10:15 pm

To be honest, I`ve never known, always wondered which was correct since I`ve seen it spelled both ways since the mid to late `90s ! Sorta like Moohammer Quaddaphee; who`s to say that ain`t right ?!

13. cdl on May 4th, 2011 1:37 am

That's it.

He's UBAMA to me from now on.

If they (the media) can change the one, I can change that other one.

14. gennyv on May 4th, 2011 1:38 am

Usama was also the way it was spelled on the FBI's Most Wanted list… I only noticed FNC spelling it that way all of these years, not any of the other channels, but I could be wrong.

15. OK_Loyalist on May 4th, 2011 3:38 am

LOL

16. Daily Dive-4 May 11 | adeliemanchot on May 4th, 2011 8:41 pm

[...] bet they all know how to put a condom on thanks to our “public education system”…‘Who is Osama bin Laden?’ — When Twitter and a Failed Educational System Collide Meet some of the people who one day (if not already) could be cancelling out your [...]