Last night in South Carolina, there was a GOP debate without Romney, Palin, Huckabee, Gingrich, Trump and Mitch Daniels.

Herman Cain, Gary Johnson, Ron Paul, Rick Santorum and Tim Pawlenty were there, however — joined by a handful of progressive clowns out front. I honestly forgot about the thing so I didn’t see it. I’m just reading a little about it this morning.

Erick Erickson liked this Herman Cain approach:

Herman Cain gave the best one liners and a brilliant defense of his lack of elected experience. He pointed out all the guys in Washington who have been elected and asked, “How’s that working out for ya?”

Pollster Frank Luntz had a focus group after the debate which chose Cain as the winner of the debate that didn’t feature anybody polling in double digits. Voters often like the “outsider,” but have you noticed that in the end, “outsiders” are hardly ever elected? The machine isn’t programmed to let in someone who’s not in the end going to play within the beltway rules. Period. It’s kind of like women trying to get into a party at the Playboy Mansion: All cooperative political persuasions are welcome but if you’re not willing to show Hef your tits you ain’t gettin’ in.

I like Cain and Palin (the bumper stickers could be recycled too, which might appease the eco crowd), but whether Cain can raise the required cash and if Palin even runs remains to be seen. As for the rest of the names mentioned so far, I feel like Michael Moore at a salad bar… there’s really nothing there to whet my appetite.

Comments

10 Responses to “GOP Debate: Who Won and Does it Even Matter Yet?”

1. VaGal on May 6th, 2011 11:33 am

Well, with the exception of Palin, I can do without the "missing" candidates. Most of them couldn't even beat McCain for the 2008 nomination and Trump is really a Dem. I am disappointed that many of my fave conservs are not running (West, Pence, DeMint, Rubio). It is early, but I would not discount all of last night's participants. They were actually asked some good questions and there were many responses that showed more backbone than we normally see from the Repubs. 2008 should be a lesson to us all—we can not let the left/elites decide who our candidate will be. Instead, the left/elites MUST be defeated in 2012.

2. Marshall_Will on May 6th, 2011 11:40 am

Other than Gary Johnson I thought all participants performed admirably. In particular I noticed a conscious effort to stay on point in their responses. They def. got the message we've had about enough meandering, over-reach and creative license. ( Read Fundamental Change )

Ron Paul is a fave among Bubble Bloggers for his insistence on auditing The Fed and I think he handled himself fairly well. In the end though, I wished we'd rain Cain in '08. We wouldn't be here 'now'. Great first showing, always great to see Brett and Juan.

3. Granny55 on May 6th, 2011 12:09 pm

Gary Johnson should just bow out now. Santorum was okay but I don't like him shoving religion down my throat. Pawlenty reminds me of the typical politician – don't like him. Ron Paul brought all the nuts with him to cheer – don't like him. Cain held his own and the exposure should help him. I wish DeMint or Pence was running.

4. Obama bin Biden on May 6th, 2011 12:38 pm

As I was watching, I had a very bad feeling we were going to have the community organizer (who went to Harvard) 4 more horrendous years. Pass the scotch and Ambien, please.

5. Marshall_Will on May 6th, 2011 12:42 pm

Granny,

One thing Pawlenty said in an interview prior is something -all- GOP candidates should take to heart. When pressed on why he had been criticized for not being "more colorful or more flamboyant" he replied; "I'm not running for Entertainer in Chief, I'm not hear to deliver one liners or do stand-up routines".

Mindful I'm paraphrasing there but that's a hard and fast LINE we need to make clear. Especially after the "Fog of Fog" MM is describing today. The basic message being, Keep the comic relief, just give us results!

6. J.A. Topfke on May 6th, 2011 1:19 pm

Paul was the best I thought (and according to the latest poll has the best chance to beat Obama).

Cain is likable in a Fred G. Sanford kind of way, but stumbled out of the blocks when he basically admitted he doesn't have a plan.

Pawlenty and Santorum were the boring, establishment Republicans that people are trying to get rid of. Their strategy seems to be to repeat the Romney/Huckabee/McCain platform we lost with in 08.

As for Johnson, he seems like a nice guy, but getting booed at a Republican showcase event is a bad sign.

7. Granny55 on May 6th, 2011 2:38 pm

Oh I agree with his premise but……. he is too much of an establishment politician for me. The only thing he has going for him is he was a governor so he has some experience there but…… it was Minnesota – home of nuts and fruitcakes like Jesse and Franken. The only good thing to come out of Minnesota is Bachman.

8. Connie on May 6th, 2011 6:46 pm

There are too damn many candidates in this race!!

9. joyannaadams on May 6th, 2011 10:45 pm

I loved the "show me your tits!" analogy!

Powerful stuff there…Mr. Powerful stuff!

10. Jim T. on May 6th, 2011 11:48 pm

I agree. That's exactly how the Republicans ended up with McCain in '08. There were eight guys running in the primaries siphoning votes from each other and McCain was last man standing because he only did slightly better each time.