Question of the day: What’s the AP been smoking?

The beauty of the Tea Party is that it’s truly a relatively leader-less movement, but I guess if you had to give it a “Godfather” it might be Rick Santelli. If there’s a Tea Party favorite among possible presidential candidates, Sarah Palin, Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann would be on the list way ahead of Ron Paul.

Is it just a coincidence that Ron Paul recently said the raid to kill Osama bin Laden was “absolutely not necessary” and now they’re trying to make him into a Tea Party leader?

Update: Another possible motive for the MSM to try to pawn off Paul as a Tea Partier is here.

(h/t HAP)

Comments

11 Responses to “‘Tea Party Godfather’? Is the AP Serious?”

1. Clu Seatoe on May 14th, 2011 1:01 pm

The thinking is: Associate anyone right of a Socialist with the Tea Party and it’s a slur. The magic happens (they’re hoping) when you put “Tea Party” in the sentence.

Like Harry waving his wand.

2. Joe Redfield on May 14th, 2011 1:06 pm

The AP would have called bin Ladin a Tea Party inspiration if they thought they could have gotten away with it. And, who knows? They may yet try it, after a few months when many of the attention-challenged voters have forgotten who Obie was.

3. RoseB on May 14th, 2011 1:59 pm

Actually, I think the first person to use that term was a woman from Seattle on her blog. I can't remember her name but she used the term before Santelli.

4. SignPainterGuy on May 14th, 2011 2:23 pm

DancesWithDachshunds from MM`s Place ? She was one of the very first organizers – I give her the credit !

5. SignPainterGuy on May 14th, 2011 2:30 pm

If I`m not mistaken, Ron Paul formed the tag-along org. "Tea Party Express" to run on the steam and momentum of the Tea Party. Many folks thought it one-and-the-same, but it wasn`t and fell out of favor, finally !

A caller to Rush`s show reminded him that in `06 (I think) "he" first called for a tea party – sending tea bag paper tabs to congress to express dissatisfaction ! I`d forgotten it….

6. backwoods on May 14th, 2011 3:20 pm

They misspelled "odd".

7. Granny55 on May 14th, 2011 3:21 pm

AP leading the way and the MSM to determine who the Republican candidate will be. Never to early ya know. We need to be loud and clear that Ron Paul is NOT the tea party leader and that the media can shove it's nose up Zero's ass all they want just don't start picking our candidates via their liberal bias. That's where we need a Sarah Palin – let her loose on these lap dogs and let her SAY what she thinks instead of dancing around the establishment media. Michelle Bachman too as well as Krauthammer. They know the good come backs for the lame and untrue statements thrown out by the wussies in the MSM

8. Kurt R. Radtke on May 14th, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm glad to see that you picked up on this. It's been bugging me for a week (several mentions from various sources). It appears to me that the Libs are trying again to pick the conservative candidate they feel can't win. The word Godfather has a second connotation in this race. :)

9. swede on May 14th, 2011 11:08 pm

Didn't Paul win the CPAC straw poll a while ago? Probably has something to do with it. At any rate as Kurt Radtke alludes – the AP (Always Partisan) wants to be sure the GOP runs a can't win candidate.

10. Connie on May 15th, 2011 3:29 am

He is a has been and I don't think the TP folks will accept him. He'll be booted from the race soon…

11. J.A. Topfke on May 17th, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm surprised at how uninformed you are. The first modern day Tea Party was started by Ron Paul in 2007. He raised 6 million dollars that day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZmIzEMUN8