Earlier today at Michelle’s place I wrote about a guy here in Michigan who won $2 million in a state lottery but who is still allowed to use food stamps.

On the outrage-o-meter, the following story has that one beaten hands down… or should I say, binkies down:

A key senator has asked the Social Security Administration to investigate how people who live their lives role-playing as “adult babies” are able to get taxpayer-funded disability payments — after one of them was featured on a recent reality TV episode wearing diapers, feeding from a bottle and using an adult-sized crib he built.

Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican and the Senate’s top waste-watcher, asked the agency’s inspector general to look into 30-year-old Stanley Thornton Jr. and his roommate, Sandra Dias, who acts as his “mother,” saying it’s not clear why they are collecting Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits instead of working.

Couldn’t this guy at least get a job as a door greeter at Baby Gap?

I don’t give a damn if people want to let their freak flag fly in their own homes as long as it’s on their own dime. But I’ll bet the congressional Dems will counter Coburn and defend this guy getting Social Security because the way he spends it saves or creates dozens of jobs at Gerber and Huggies.

Roll the taxpayer-diapered freakshow:

Were you thinking what I was thinking?

Comments

6 Responses to “Your Tax Dollars at Work, Part XLIII: ‘Adult Baby’ Collects Social Security”

1. Joe Redfield on May 18th, 2011 6:58 pm

I've long suffered from the dread LAD(Labor Aversion Disorder). Where do I sign up for my bennies?

2. Clu Seatoe on May 18th, 2011 7:35 pm

He may not qualify to work with Norm in “The New Yankee Workshop” but I’m not quite getting what his “disability” is here.

Why not build a nice stroller so mom can take you to the swings at the park with all the other nannies and kids. Hey, how do you bulk up like that on baby food?

This just opens the door to all the other pervs who, when they go outside their home they have to wear their tighty-whitey’s and khakis with the button-down collar, but when they get home its back into mama’s bra and panties and makeup. Is that a disability too?

3. Granny55 on May 18th, 2011 8:13 pm

I saw this earlier – it is just plain stupidity that some social services clerk (paid union wages and benefits) thought that this was truly a disability. Doesn't say much for the govt. workforce does it?

4. VaGal on May 18th, 2011 9:31 pm

It's nice to know this is one of the reasons I won't be seeing a dime of MY Social Security contributions.

5. swede on May 18th, 2011 10:35 pm

University of Wisconsin
    Course: Creative Criminality 101
    Description: A survey of innovative strategies to employ when your entitlements run out or are eliminated.
    Professor: Charles Ponzie

6. Fuzzlenutter on May 19th, 2011 1:22 am

It really does seem to me that we are a truly fucked-up country nowadays.

Can we ever recover? I'm not so sure anymore…