And they say that that smoking pot all the time will have a negative effect on your memory? Pfft:

Legendary musician and outspoken drug legalization advocate Willie Nelson endorsed fellow outspoken drug legalization advocate Gov. Gary Johnson for president earlier this week, only to retract that statement earlier today and choose to endorse no one (yet). This is all fairly humorous, except most of the media outlets reporting this story have been burying the lede: Nelson withdrew his support because he’s “already committed to Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich.”

I’m surprised Kucinich will accept the endorsement — Dennis has been pissed ever since Willie made a hash pipe out of his tinfoil hat.

Hey, as long as he doesn’t forget the words to Blue Eyes Cryin in the Rain I don’t really care — and neither does the judge:

Comments

8 Responses to “Willie Nelson Withdraws Endorsement of Gary Johnson Because He Forgot He Was Going to Endorse Kucinich?”

1. Clu Seatoe on May 20th, 2011 12:07 pm

Wilie who? BFD!

2. Marshall_Will on May 20th, 2011 12:38 pm

I was going to say; "They allow Willie to VOTE!?" Who knew!

As a [sometime] musician, WN is giving the "Legacy Tour" a bad name. His singing voice has become so swollen, haggard and frankly.., dope-fried, there's no point in going to one of his concerts! Hasn't been for years. His playing and timing have become atrocious.

Now for the good news! As our band will be playing the BOTB's! at the Base, I'm being told we'll be introduced to none other than Joan JETT! I'm really stoked about this guys. For years music took every direction but HER'S! Disco, techno, big hair/"power ballads" and through it all, Joan stuck to her guns! ( Namely pounding out 3-chord rock & roll! )

Screw this "being the 'voice' of a generation"/liberal cause spokesperson bullcr@p, just shut up and play yer' guitar. And no one does it better.

3. SignPainterGuy on May 20th, 2011 1:52 pm

Willie told one story that I personally thought was pretty cool; his part Mexican wife got fed up with him coming home drunk and stoned every night and grumbling and falling asleep. He passed out one night, so she sewed him up in the bed sheet and beat him black and blue with a broom handle. Red, black and blue eyes cryin` in the bed ?

Beyond that, I haven`t taken him seriously.

4. Marshall_Will on May 20th, 2011 2:43 pm

Willie ( having been born April 30, 1933 ) is really more a part of the Silent Generation. I've always considered this one of the great hoaxes in American Pop Culture. Many of those old enough to have been performers in "The 60's" were more accurately described as "hipsters" or hepcats.

Willie, Elvis, Tina Turner and even Frank Zappa belong to that generation. Protesting a war they were too old to even be DRAFTED in! But it sold albums. For Willie to call himself a "hippie" is a farce.

Bill Wyman of The Stones was a holdout from an earlier era. Born Oct. 24th 1936! Making him already in his 30's by the time the 60's got in full swing. Appropriately he quit the band in 1993 at age 57.

5. SignPainterGuy on May 20th, 2011 4:00 pm

Willie performed a lot of good songs, especially during his "I`m gonna record every hit" period; he just never had the voice to pull it off. IMO…..

A standout in the opposite realm (for me – I have an odd range of appreciation), is Sarah Evans; really pretty, great voice, can hit all the notes clearly; she just isn`t performing good songs ! I don`t know whose fault that is….

So much of her and Willie`s music is disappointing – it just saws along !

6. Marshall_Will on May 20th, 2011 4:39 pm

When he recorded "Red Headed Stranger" I was a fan. But there's just so much you can do with G, C & D in a country format. Willie came up thru the ranks before Nashville got really creative. Incorporating Blues, Rockabilly etc.

In that genre I'd much prefer New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Pure Prarie League ( Same Old Country Song being among my favorites! ) than listen to Willie's "Music to slash your wrists by"?

Still, some great footage of he and Patsy Cline performing Crazy ( in uh… 1954? )

7. backwoods on May 20th, 2011 10:48 pm

Somewhere along the line Willie's voice started rubbing me the wrong way and I haven't cared for him since. I'm pretty sure it was he came out with "On The Road Again". The song sounded so typically country that it had already been run into the ground the first time I heard it.

8. SignPainterGuy on May 20th, 2011 11:17 pm

I called my bronze and tan Suburban "Brown Dirt Cowboy " after the artwork on that Pure Prairie League album cover ! Good stuff !