While many Americans were struggling to get enough money to put gas in their cars and bargain shopping for food that wouldn’t break the budget, their tax dollars were providing at least one person a hell of a nice “surf & turf” dinner.

Here’s a grocery store receipt found in a parking lot in Menominee, Michigan a little earlier this year:

Did whoever dropped that receipt happen to win the lottery recently? Just wondering.

(h/t reader/commenter Nanny)

Comments

29 Responses to “While Hard Working, Tax Paying Americans Were Eating Ramen Noodles…”

1. cdl on May 21st, 2011 1:08 pm

That's great. Mountain dew, lobster, and steak. I guess they bought butter with last months stamps.

At the very least food stamps programs (if we just HAVE to have them) should be run like WIC. An itemized list including a gallon of milk, block of cheese, sack of beans, etc.

Now back to my baloney sandwich.

2. Granny55 on May 21st, 2011 1:21 pm

Did ya notice that they must of used their store keychain tag thus saving $8.00 on their purchase??? That was so thoughtful of gotdamned moocher!!!

3. Clu Seatoe on May 21st, 2011 1:22 pm

C’mon people, don’t be going all liberal here. Food stamps are for food. Personal choice is still legal.

Of course, we could get a petition going like the students below.

4. SignPainterGuy on May 21st, 2011 2:08 pm

Recently, there was a huge (pc – abundant) woman in the check-out line with a cart filled to over-flowing with large packs of large steaks, pot roast, stew meat, ground beef and all the fixxins. Her skinny husband behind her in line paid the extra in cash that her food program debit card didn`t cover and than paid cash for his two suitcases of Busch Lite.

When the taxpayer is buying your food, why skimp ?

5. OK_Loyalist on May 21st, 2011 2:20 pm

A case of Diet Mountain Dew $33.95, wtf ? A Case of Bud is like $20.

6. Doug on May 21st, 2011 2:35 pm

Yeah, much like the freedom of speech issue, let's not criticize the constitutional right to buy lobster and Mountain Dew with money taken from somebody else.

7. Joe Redfield on May 21st, 2011 2:59 pm

I suppose it would be considered demeaning to the poor to replace the food stamp program with soup kitchens.

8. SignPainterGuy on May 21st, 2011 3:26 pm

Sugar tax ?

9. ReaganiteGOPer on May 21st, 2011 3:48 pm

Very enlightening… thus, linked:
    CUCKOO for Cocoa Puffs!

10. Granny55 on May 21st, 2011 5:16 pm

That is five cases of pop and noitce it is diet – no sugar for the moochers!!!

11. zillaoftheresistance on May 21st, 2011 6:27 pm

Oh that pisses me off, I just returned empty soda bottles (I drink the soda, not the children, they have never had it and probably never will until they are old enough to gt their own beverages without me) today so I could buy bread! if I had foodstamps, I'd use them sensibly to buy nourishing food for the kids, not for unnecessary decadence! My local gas station accepts food stamps, they don't sell anything that could really be considered food, just candy & chips. Wholesome intact families of the wrong ethnicity cannot get assistance where I live, I'd rather have a job anyway, if I can find one.
    Another screwed up entitlement is medicaid. My father in law worked all of his life until he was paralyzed on one side from a stroke. He needed medical care but had no insurance and his health continued to deteriorate. (He's also diabetic and has recently had both legs amputated, has congestive heart failure, and now needs dialysis 3x a week) It's just him and his wife living togehter and she still works, between radiation treatments for cancer. Medicaid would not give my father in law any kind of help unless he divorced his wife, so although they are still together, they are no longer legally married (after over 20 years) because he desperately needed the help to stay alive. These were hard working people who paid taxes all their lives and the wife still does (when she's not out of work to get treatments for the cancer that keeps coming back).
    But if you commit a crime here and go to jail, you get all your teeth fixed for free, I have met people that would deliberately get themselves into trouble for the free medical and dental care. I've had a busted infected tooth in my head for nearly a year now that I can't get fixed. if I were a criminal, it wold be taken care of.
    If you go to the Social services office here, you will see lexuses belonging to welfare recipients outside and inside you see people with top fashion brands, manicured nails, professionally styled hair, i-pods in their hands and gold teeth with diamonds in their mouths or illegal aliens who are exempt from having to fill out any forms at all and instantly get taxpayer funded food, medical and welfare checks.

12. @RhymesWithRight on May 21st, 2011 7:21 pm

Only if you are paying for it yourself. If I'm paying for it, I get a say on the matter. Food Stamps are not for lobster.

13. OK_Loyalist on May 21st, 2011 8:14 pm

Whoooops, I missed that LOL

I heard of people buying large quantities of hamburger because they can't buy dog food with food stamps.

14. Marshall_Will on May 21st, 2011 9:25 pm

Zilla,

Sorry to hear of those developments. It's a nightmare out there. As a result of this, until we get a new Prez and see some REAL change, my wife and I have committed to my making as little as possible.

If I can show a LOSS for the business ( so much the better! ) At my age w/ adult/married children, about the only thing we're interested in 'buying' is stocks for our retirement account ANYWAY!

Oregon is even worse. They passed two "emergency funding measures" last year out of sheer panic and it cut my demographic and clients off at the KNEES! Businesses and the wealthy are being run off in DROVES! So I have to make a modest salary to stay under the limits of their catch-all. That said, sometimes this is all easier said than done. But I'm trying.

This is exactly where we all said this Admin. would drive us. Self-employed business people working hard -not- to make money. This whole scene is dispicable. Fund your SEP account and basically live off (1) salary!? NOT what we anticipated for my 50's huh?

15. Marshall_Will on May 21st, 2011 9:30 pm

Uh… looks to me like someone was having a PARTY!

These days using Mountain Dew as a vodka mixer is all the rage w/ the young set! You get smashed and stay jacked UP from the caf. so you can stay alert and drink more and eat more and PARTY more!

( See my most excellent post below ) Great FIND btw and thank you so much for sharing. We NEED to get worked up about this stuff. What scumbags. This needs to change. I like the WIC example. We're not giving these scumbags a BLANK CHECK any damn more.

16. zillaoftheresistance on May 21st, 2011 9:46 pm

This is what they mean when they say “going Galt”, isn't it? My problem isn't making too much money, it's having no money at all, being ineligible for help and having to resort to begging. I have been blessed by some very kind people, but still, today and maybe part of tomorrow are likely my last moments of having internet access or a telephone connection at my home. I'm fifty bucks shy of paying the damned bill. But I know people who have it so much worse, like my friend whose little boy is severely disabled and medically fragile, he needs a wheel chair and leg braces, and my friend can't get those for him. He's only three years old and such a strong little kid, I can only imagine the heartbreak my friend feels over not being able to get him things that are not luxuries but necessities. Her family used to be middle class, but a few bad breaks is all it takes to completely derail folks in this economy and it is nearly impossible to catch back up. This is how those commie bastards running our country WANT IT to be, no middle class, only the peasants and the elites.

17. The “Surf and Turf” Food Stamp Program « Mayrant&rave on May 21st, 2011 10:08 pm

[...] May 21, 2011 by mayrant From Doug Powers: [...]

18. Marshall_Will on May 21st, 2011 10:11 pm

Zilla,

Great post and again sorry to hear where this is all heading. Exactly why I now openly laugh in the FACE of Leftists spouting off about how the Conservatives and the Dept. of Defense and Evil Corporations are THE ONES eating our lunch!

Oh… right, it's SO much nicer to be put over a bike rack by bleeding heart Libs MANDATING all kinds of hand-out programs if they have to TAX the last $ you make? Isn't that so much 'better'?

And you're right, when you've got pResident who's M.O is never let a good crisis yeah yeah blah blah EVERYTHING could be your "death card". He WANTS all of us "on the bubble". The cost at the pump is his "Misery Valve" that He and He alone controls. He's found the perfect leverage.

Hang IN there! Do NOT give up!

19. CUCKOO for Cocoa Puffs! | USA In The News on May 22nd, 2011 7:48 am

[...] The Powers that Be finds it amazing what you can buy with foodstamps these days -here- [...]

20. swede on May 22nd, 2011 3:59 pm

Zilla

Hope you're still online. Just went through some major uphevals in my own life. What ever doesn;t kill you will strengthen your character and you'll come out on the other side a better person for it. I am now looking at some very promising prospects, when only a few months ago things were very bleak.

Pray, trust God and never give up.

21. Granny55 on May 22nd, 2011 7:12 pm

Swede and Zilla – No truer words spoken. 29 years ago today my 3 yr. old son died. There is nothing more painful than losing a child. The heartache never goes away. It didn't kill me but made me a stronger person. There is more to life than what some think.

22. SignPainterGuy on May 22nd, 2011 8:27 pm

I am so sorry, Granny, but proud of your recovery. Bless your heart !

23. Daily Dive-23 May 11 | adeliemanchot on May 23rd, 2011 6:57 am

[...] check out the photo in this post…While Hard Working, Tax Paying Americans Were Eating Ramen Noodles… While many Americans were struggling to get enough money to put gas in their cars and bargain [...]

24. zillaoftheresistance on May 23rd, 2011 4:12 pm

It was close, but I am back, thank you for your encouragement.

25. zillaoftheresistance on May 23rd, 2011 4:14 pm

Granny, I am so sorry for your loss! I have a three year old son and I am in tears just thinking about the pain you've endured. I am glad that you are here to show that even in the face of unimaginable sadness that life can go on. God bless you.

26. Dexter_Alarius on May 24th, 2011 6:16 pm

There is something seriously wrong with the system when this is allowed to happen. That $141 in food stamps should have bought a couple weeks worth of food for a poor family.

27. SignPainterGuy on May 25th, 2011 7:11 pm

So often, when I`m behind a food stamp / debit card user, watching the choice foods being bagged up, while hearing "Happy days are here again !", I`m thinking, "Can I go home with you ? That looks GOOD !"

28. Rachel on June 1st, 2011 12:24 am

That isn't urban legend. I worked as a checker at Wal*Mart in high school and I watched a man do that.

29. Jack Smith on April 29th, 2013 2:52 am

It was really impressive published article. I do personally learn in the post and also I will share it to my friends later after reviewing. Really interesting post indeed. Thanks.