It’s not because of her race, but that’s not about to stop somebody from putting it out there before getting to the actual reason, which I think is mandatory these days:

Less than three years into the job, first lady Michelle Obama is on her third chief of staff and third social secretary. She is on her second communications director, the White House chief usher recently departed, and her press secretary’s last day is Friday.

On Friday afternoon, the first lady’s office announced that the executive director of Obama’s signature campaign to fight childhood obesity also is leaving.

The turnover, greater than under recent first ladies, underscores the pressure and high expectations of working in an operation known for its polish and discipline.
[...]
“She is, if possible, under more scrutiny than even other modern first ladies, being the first African-American first lady,” said Katherine Jellison, a history professor at Ohio University who specializes in first ladies.

Or she could just be really, really hard to work for — but if it’s just easier to blame her race, go for it.

Besides, the First Lady doesn’t always strike me as the kind of women who necessarily caves to the pressure of scrutiny. Not one bit.

After the race thing though, we get to the actual reason(s), and it’s more like I speculated:

Sources familiar with the East Wing, who asked not to be named discussing internal dynamics, described the first lady’s office as a challenging workplace, where grueling hours and the expectations of a formidable boss intensify the demands of managing a popular first lady’s schedule, image and agenda.

“The first lady is a lovely woman, but she’s tough as nails, and that can be hard for some people,” said a source familiar with the office. “She has really high expectations.”

You can’t tell me the stresses of office for FLOTUS are more than the office of POTUS, and yet I don’t think the president’s staff turnover is as high as it is in the First Lady’s office. Maybe Michelle should try taking her staff golfing every weekend.

And if that doesn’t work, I can help take some pressure off the First Lady’s office with just one word: Autopen!

Update: According to Fact Check, Michelle Obama has the largest staff of any First Lady in US history. This means she’s under a lot more pressure than previous First Ladies because she has a lot more people to piss off than they did.

Comments

27 Responses to “Michelle Obama Has High Staff Turnover Because of Her Race?”

1. zillaoftheresistance on May 28th, 2011 3:16 pm

I think they are leaving because she's a bitch. There, I said it, somebody had to. Uh oh… is that Obama's taxpayer funded internet troll coming at me? Hey where did those black vans come fro

2. Joe Redfield on May 28th, 2011 3:22 pm

Why did she hire so many racists in the first place? Affirmative action?

3. SignPainterGuy on May 28th, 2011 3:24 pm

Keep an eye out for Code Pinkos now after your latest post at home ! Planned Parenthood is not happy with you !

4. SignPainterGuy on May 28th, 2011 3:29 pm

With a personal staff of well over 100, there has to be a lot of toes being stepped on and tempers flaring ! Being a fly on the wall could be interesting !

5. zillaoftheresistance on May 28th, 2011 3:44 pm

If those harpies want to come to my blog to tell me how they want to kill people who may or may not be disabled, they will only be making fools of themselves and I'll be sure to showcase their evil for all to see. Screw them.

6. Connie Enbey on May 28th, 2011 4:00 pm

Why would you think it's raceist? I feel sure they knew her race before they took the job. I rather think it is her demandig personalty!!

7. SignPainterGuy on May 28th, 2011 4:18 pm

In addition to her demanding personality, there is the respect she "demands" rather than "commands" ! A subtle but significant difference ! A "talent" she was not born with, nor did she learn and develop into a "skill" !

8. dandapani on May 28th, 2011 5:05 pm

Beyotch.

9. TiminAL on May 28th, 2011 5:11 pm

Exactly, the first thing I thought!!

10. creeper00 on May 28th, 2011 5:21 pm

I believe that should be "demeaning personality".

11. Marshall_Will on May 28th, 2011 8:26 pm

Yeah 'subtle' ( like a steam roller? )

Wasn't it our own MM that described her as "perennially dissatisfied" BEFORE she even became FLOTUS? She p!ssed and moaned the whole while she "worked" at her Chicago law firm employer and was never given assignments "commensurate with her skill levels"… blah blah.

Michelle's got the skinny of this utter FAKE! Sadly, now at 52, I've finally realized that it's the Active 24/7 Peter Principle practioners that get ahead in life. Certain personality types ( mostly pathological ) are best suited to deploy this very base but effective tactics.

( see below )

12. Marshall_Will on May 28th, 2011 8:32 pm

At the insistence of a co-worker, I read this book when it first came out. Described our 29 y.o brokerage firm "branch manager" to the t.

"Only a fraction of psychopaths are in prison. the rest thrive in the many target-rich environments that make up society, including business, religious, political, and social organizations, and the Internet."

FLOTUS is in the Martha Stewart mold. They've never seen a success of other's they couldn't commandeer and make their own? Given Moochelle is a generation -behind- Martha, they've perfected all the short cuts, polished the techniques to a brighter sheen and escalated backstabbing and finger pointing to an ART FORM! Seen enough?

13. SignPainterGuy on May 28th, 2011 8:56 pm

"Seen enough ?"….Yep, seen enough, worked with / under / around several. Learned to "obviously ignore" some. They hate that ! Too. Bad. !!

14. Clu Seatoe on May 28th, 2011 10:21 pm

Connie,

You miss the point!

It’s less about racism against her and more about HER racism.

And that can be easily attested to by what she does outside of state affairs, who she associates with outside of state affairs and who she brings into her house.

15. SignPainterGuy on May 29th, 2011 2:15 am

I`m getting the idea that Shrillary might be a real joy to be around ….. compared to the current FLOTUS !!

Phew….I`m feelin` sorta light headed…….

16. SignPainterGuy on May 29th, 2011 2:18 am

I just noticed the most amazing thing….your comment count / rating has taken a 228 point swing ! Fascinating !

17. Marshall_Will on May 29th, 2011 3:14 am

You mean Rap 'stars' that perform tributes to COP KILLAZ!?

So DONE w/ this woman. Color me perennially dissatisfied. Guess me and the band won't be invited any time soon?

18. dandapani on May 29th, 2011 10:01 am

You confuse me with someone else. :)

I tried dealing with ID but they stick by their "policy". Found an old wordpress Id so I reused that. Thanks for noticing.

19. cdl on May 29th, 2011 11:28 am

Is there anything more pathetic than a first lady who thinks she matters to the country?

20. SignPainterGuy on May 29th, 2011 12:48 pm

Were you not at -119 in red just a few weeks ago ? I remember asking you a while back if you really pissed off the lefties to get such an abysmal score. Perhaps that was the other dandapani who just looks like you ! I really do hate confusion ! ;-)

21. dandapani on May 29th, 2011 4:01 pm

No, you are correct. It was me -119 points ago. I didn't piss off lefties as it turned out. I pissed off some in one of our national mainstream religions. 'nuff said. Thanks.

22. SignPainterGuy on May 29th, 2011 4:33 pm

Kay Oh, kyewel !

23. Daily Dive Memorial Day, 2011 | adeliemanchot on May 30th, 2011 2:39 pm

[...] Michelle Obama Has High Staff Turnover Because of Her Race? [...]

24. Movers on November 18th, 2011 12:21 pm

The avoid what were perceived as excessive charges by Herman Hollerith's tabulating machine company although hollerith had numerous patents, Powers managed to avoid infringement and created a faster cheaper machine that was compatible.Thanks for sharing the informative post. Regards.

25. business lists on December 3rd, 2011 2:14 am

Indexing Makes Sense Indexing works well in all asset classes. A key advantage of the passive approach is low management fees, low turnover costs and greater tax efficiencies. Thanks for sharing the informative post.

26. Petit Pois on December 7th, 2011 5:15 pm

Staff turnover encompasses personnel moves including layoffs, firings and promotions. While the idea of turnover is harrowing for many businesses, I like to discuss more about this thanks for sharing the informative post.

27. nutrigold on December 8th, 2011 10:43 am

Obama’s signature is among the items accompanying a NASA rover headed to Mars. The rover, which launched earlier this week, is reportedly traveling. I like to visit this blog once again thanks for sharing the informative post.