As Drew at Ace of Spades wrote: “Pro tip — don’t tell people when you’re bluffing.”

Obama might be fun to play poker against, but maybe not (the best you could do is win back your own money).

From Politico:

When Cantor said the two sides were too far apart to get a deal that could pass the House by the Treasury Department’s Aug. 2 deadline — and that he would consider moving a short-term debt-limit increase alongside smaller spending cuts — Obama began to lecture him.

“Eric, don’t call my bluff,” the president said, warning Cantor that he would take his case “to the American people.” He told Cantor that no other president — not Ronald Reagan, the president said — would sit through such negotiations.

Of course we should consider the possibility that Obama is only bluffing about bluffing, but since Obama has accused Republicans of being the ones playing political games with the issue, he would never do such a thing. Scare the bejesus out of old people for no reason, sure, but bluff about it — never!

Comments

7 Responses to “Obama: Don’t Call My Bluff”

1. backwoods on July 14th, 2011 10:53 am

It sounds more like huffing and puffing to me.

2. Granny55 on July 14th, 2011 11:18 am

Yup – go ahead Dick Obama – take it to the American people – who when polled 69% said do NOT raise the debt ceiling. What a dick!

3. cdl on July 14th, 2011 12:44 pm

It's so fitting.

The re-publicans are playing the part of the business owners (representing the people and their money) and Ubama is playing the part of the union negotiator (representing the unions, literally).

He demands more money or the whole thing will shut down.

I sure hope the re-publicans can evolve back into vertebrates on this one.

But I won't hold my breath.

4. SignPainterGuy on July 14th, 2011 1:26 pm

I`ve been pleasantly surprised by the re-publicans lately, with a few exceptions. They seem to have spent a little time, un-covered on the top shelf of the fridge; their Jell-o spines have stiffened a "bit".

5. SignPainterGuy on July 14th, 2011 1:33 pm

Oh I love that Doug, "I`ll take the case to the American people" ! I really do wish he would. Talk about a smack down ! But of course, the "American people" he`s surely referring to are the unions.

Come on Can`t or / won`t, call his bluff ! And quit offering "little" debt ceiling increases !

6. Joe Redfield on July 14th, 2011 1:53 pm

Obama is no better at poker than he is at anything else. When he threatened to hold up Social Security checks the other day, even the dimbulbs the White House press corpse knew he was bluffing.

7. Obama bin Biden on July 14th, 2011 2:01 pm

Obama explaining economics is alot like Al Sharpton explaining the effects of global warming.