Today the blogosphere is buzzing with what Vegas casino mogul Steve Wynn said about President Obama during a conference call with analysts.

By way of Newsbusters, here’s part of it:

[T]his administration is the greatest wet blanket to business, and progress and job creation in my lifetime. And I can prove it and I could spend the next 3 hours giving you examples of all of us in this market place that are frightened to death about all the new regulations, our healthcare costs escalate, regulations coming from left and right…[I]t makes you slow down and not invest your money. Everybody complains about how much money is on the side in America. You bet. And until we change the tempo and the conversation from Washington, it’s not going to change. And those of us who have business opportunities and the capital to do it are going to sit in fear of the President…I’m telling you that the business community in this company is frightened to death of the weird political philosophy of the President of the United States. And until he’s gone, everybody’s going to be sitting on their thumbs.

Ouch. Pretty strong words, especially coming from a heavy-hitter in the business world. It’s not the first time Wynn has been critical of Obama, who Wynn voted for (see this video at about the 1:00 mark).

I’m more curious about what Wynn was thinking in voting for Obama than I am about what Obama is thinking. We know what Obama is thinking, and that’s the point. We have since before the election. I’d just like to know what Obama has done that’s come as a shock to Steve Wynn. What part of “we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America” didn’t Wynn get? Did he not believe Obama was serious? Did Wynn not understand that “this is the moment that the rise of the oceans began to slow” was just a metaphor for massive redistribution of wealth, economic health — Vegas or elsewhere — be damned?

If Steve Wynn didn’t see this coming he’s not as bright as he’s often given credit for. And he still supports Harry Reid — don’t get me started on that one. Harry Reid and Barack Obama are twins conjoined at taxpayers’ wallets, so how he can still support Reid but want Obama voted out is confusing and part of the reason why I didn’t join the chorus with some other fellow conservatives after reading the above quote by yelling “testify Steve!”

This time around in 2012 I hope Mr. Wynn can put his money, not to mention vote, where his mouth is.

Comments

26 Responses to “Wynn-ing the Future”

1. Obama bin Biden on July 19th, 2011 3:10 pm

Wynn suffers from liberalism, the mental disorder.

2. Wynning loser on July 19th, 2011 3:15 pm

If a schlub like me could see through him, why couldn't Steve Wynn?

3. Doug on July 19th, 2011 3:22 pm

I think Wynn's a lot like Trump. Look at his donation record and he clearly plays both sides so his businesses win no matter who's elected — with the apparent exception of the current president.

4. Granny55 on July 19th, 2011 3:33 pm

Wynn can bitch and moan all he wants – all he had to do was his homework BEFORE pulling the lever for Dick Obama. And you betcha Steve – lots of business owners are sitting on their savings because this administration is scary as hell and we have no idea what is coming down the pike. They are protecting their investment and their bottom line from the money grubbing government. Every time Obummer opens up his mouth it is about redistribution, skin in the game and sharing the sacrafice, as if we should just hand it over – no questions asked. Hell no!!! And we here saw it coming a long time before the election of Obummer. Wynn should have been listening to Rush, Sean and Mark instead of the MSM.

5. Marshall_Will on July 19th, 2011 3:57 pm

The, ahem, "Gaming Industry" is heavily subsidized and the barriers to entry are, insurmountable! We're never gonna' see SPG & Will's Casino!

Deep pockets, connections, top notch lawyers and friends in the Capitol at both the state AND Federal level are *Requirements* ( not nice to haves ) Steve simply assumed Hope & Change stood for; I Hope 'they' cover my employees benefits and employees keep Changing the sheets!

Steve should have known that wasn't they it was going to play out. The Player, The ULTIMATE Player got played! God, this is so funny! Now I don't feel nearly as bad about Mrs. Will's having dumped (2) paychecks at Bellagio? ( Back when it was $300 a night? )

6. Granny55 on July 19th, 2011 4:30 pm

It should also be noted that the gaming, entertainment and tourist industry DEPENDS on disposable income for their bread and butter. Right now with real unemployment teetering near 17% there is NO disposable income to spend and those that do have a little extra are saving it. Same as the business community. So like I said these Obummer supporters can piss and moan all they want – they got just what they voted for. Sad part is – they are bringing the rest of us down with them.

7. Granny55 on July 19th, 2011 4:32 pm

They can have all the deep pockets and connections they want – with unemployment and wasteful stimulus spending – the only thing that is going to help Mr. Wynn is a robust economy. And he ain't never going to see that with Dick Obama and crew.

8. Marshall_Will on July 19th, 2011 4:43 pm

Right, and that's why he's p!ssed. The industry views all that palm-greasing as a "sunk cost". Investments that are made without any assurance of a 'return' on them?

Steve knows Vegas, in fact I'd say NOBODY knows Vegas like Steve, but in the end I think it's obvious ( that is ALL… he 'knows' ) Best of luck at the tables Steve! Can I have our cocktail server get you anything? Here at Club SPG-Will?

9. Marshall_Will on July 19th, 2011 4:50 pm

They've complained long and loud about the proliferation of other gaming venues thruout the country. Wasn't that long ago there were no state lottery drawings, tribal casinos or Pick-4! action whatsoever!

Let's see… zero competition and a MOAT for a barrier to entry? Anything that jeopardizes either is understandably viewed as a threat. Wynn doesn't CARE what happens outside of Vegas!

With all the Min. Wage employment base, he'd be a net *beneficiary* of Oblunder Care. The other 56 States and 99% of NV's land mass? Pffftt, wasn't gonna' be his problem! So you're right, without 7% Unemployment and at least 15% disposable income, he might as well jump in the fountain in front and drown himself!?

10. joyannaadams on July 19th, 2011 6:31 pm

Good piece Mr. Powers! Nobody oftens wonders what happens when the Big CEO's and the rich, pay their "fee" to the politician's campaigns and then don't get what they expected to get. Warren Buffet is complaining about "private jet taxes" and just a while ago, he was complaining that he didn't have to pay as much as his secretary, and should pay more.

Following these big rich people is like trying to photograph a duck. They are always putting their butts up in the air…

Steve is in China now, and I think by Las Vegas odds, he knows, short of a National attack, it's time to switch sides.

As for Godfather lacky Harry Reid…Marshall, you can push him in that fountain for me! I'll even sell tickets.

11. Marshall_Will on July 19th, 2011 6:48 pm

Joyanna,

We'll time the Big Shove for right after a payday alright? Mrs. Will's cousin lives in LV and everyone there hangs on Steve's every word. That's -another- delusion that just.has.to.stop.

Be it Buffet, Gates, Trump, WYNN etc. There's now as many mindless people in the biz comm. as there are in the work/dole force! Stop thinking emulating some guy w/ whom you have -nothing- in common is going to lead you out of the darkness and to the Promised Land!

I'm starting to think that's becoming an equal or greater problem. 'His' solutions won't work for 'you'! Period. Unless you're on the verge of breaking out of the mezzanine into the courtside seats, their approach doesn't even matter. Get back to focusing on basics fer' chrissakes people! Run your business day-to-day.

12. SignPainterGuy on July 19th, 2011 7:31 pm

I`m thinkin` SPG & Will ThunderDome Monster Truck / SuperCross / Gambling / Massage Parlor and All-Night-Video-Rental might not be a go…….. and I had such high hopes !

13. Marshall_Will on July 19th, 2011 9:36 pm

Dude.., don't rule it out? t this point in our 'careers' I'll consider just about anything that involves 'cash'. Shame the drive-in movies died on the vine.

14. Soul on July 19th, 2011 9:58 pm

This was a popular article on many sights today.

15. SignPainterGuy on July 19th, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah, yeah, but it`s our witty host and comments that make it unique !

16. SignPainterGuy on July 19th, 2011 10:11 pm

What do you get when you cross "The Weaker" Pelosi and a Florida State Gator ? Nothing ! There`s some things a gator just WILL NOT DO !!

"At this point in our 'careers' I`ll consider just about anything that involves 'cash'." Same principle for me ! ;-)

17. OK_Loyalist on July 19th, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm glad to see Wynn take it in the South end from Obama… it's what he gets for getting in the shower with him without soap on a rope. Cry me a freakin river Stevie

18. OK_Loyalist on July 20th, 2011 3:25 am

And while I'm at it… care have me describe what him and Harry Reid have done…LOL

19. Dexter_Alarius on July 20th, 2011 10:56 am

I have a hard time understanding how these CEOs think. Does it go like this:
    I run a business.
    I have to make a profit to stay in business.
    The cost of doing business includes taxes, fees, licensing and regulation.
    The Dems are for higher taxes and fees, greater licensing requirements, and more regulation.
    The GOP are for lower taxes, reduced fees, cutting licensing and regulation.
    I'll donate gobs of money to and vote for Dems.

I just don't get it.

20. Granny55 on July 20th, 2011 12:00 pm

It is a DUH moment – but with liberals – you just can't fix stupid.

21. cdl on July 20th, 2011 1:03 pm

Uh… not sure what to comment on this one. I don't gamble. I despise the NDN casinos here in OK. Everyone talks about the bad economy and yet everytime I drive by a casino the parking lot is full.

I never understood the urge to gamble away the money we work so hard to earn.

If you want to, go ahead. But when the money is gone don't expect me to pay more taxes so you can eat.

22. cdl on July 20th, 2011 1:04 pm

Your comment must be approved by the site admins before it will appear publicly?

23. Doug on July 20th, 2011 1:13 pm

For some reason it likes to throw occasional comments into moderation… never been able to figure out why. Even benign comments sometimes get tossed into "moderate".. but I get an email whenever that happens so I can approve them from wherever.

24. cdl on July 20th, 2011 1:35 pm

It's no big deal. I'd never had it happen before. Thanks doug.

25. SignPainterGuy on July 20th, 2011 2:58 pm

So, It`s NOT just me ? ;-)

26. Hyperfobea on July 21st, 2011 11:20 am

He's just crying because he's not being treated to the kind and amount of treats he was expecting. There are a lot of Obama supporters who expected to come out on the top of the heap. But when you lay down with dogs don't be surprised if you wake up with fleas.