Oh heck, let’s go ahead and make this the Prayer of the Year:

Take that, Ricky Bobby!

Comments

11 Responses to “Prayer of the Month, NASCAR Edition”

1. SouthernReverie on July 25th, 2011 3:34 pm

Is this for real? Using a prayer as a commercial message is appalling! And thanking God for your smoking hot wife??!! Disgusting. Clergymen like this make it hard to defend Christianity against attacks from the left.

2. Doug on July 25th, 2011 3:40 pm

In NASCAR everything is sponsored.

3. Granny55 on July 25th, 2011 3:44 pm

Sorry – don't agree! NASCAR is one of the last places where a public prayer is still allowed! Let's take all the prayer we can get. And what is so wrong with a clergyman declaring in public that he thinks his wife is smoking hot? How the hell do you think they "made" those two children he also professed his love for?

4. SignPainterGuy on July 25th, 2011 3:55 pm

Our Heavenly Father wants to have a relationship with us that is like a Perfect Father with his children. HE did indeed tell us, "In all things, give thanks." It is a mistake to believe that ONLY the most reverent and stiff-collared prayer is acceptable to GOD ! HE does have a sense of humor, and unlike Allah to his muslims, GOD DOES appreciate a sense of humor in us !

The movie prayer was as bad as the movie….

5. Marshall_Will on July 25th, 2011 5:07 pm

Anyone that played HS football knows the folly of the pre-game/half-time 'prayer'. All I could think of was, Lord please don't let me get a concussion or uh broken femur..?

In fact, this was one of the very first things Proggie seized upon to 'showcase' just how ridiculous religion and Conservatives in general were! But like Granny, I'll take what I can get.

I always appreciated the coaches that said; "If you'd like, we can take a minute for you boys to pray individually on things most important to 'you'. Bob Dylan's "With God on their side" was the inception point of making a mockery of prayer a public sport. It opened the floodgate.

6. Granny55 on July 25th, 2011 5:36 pm

The look on the driver's faces was priceless too! What a way to kick off a race! I saw a lot of comments like Southern's on other sites. Those comments are what I dislike about Christian conservatives. Instead of being thankful that a prayer can still be said in public they complain about the context. I am a Christian and a conservative and I too believe that God has a sense of humor. After all look at the libs he has given us! Lighten up there brothers and sisters and smile once in a while.

7. Marshall_Will on July 25th, 2011 6:54 pm

Agreed, and a little humor goes a long way toward dispelling myths and untruths about conservatives at large. Obviously many Nascar fans have seen the movie so it delivers the set-up line for minister.

I just object to this lowest common denominator of allowing Will Ferrell to set the tone of the conversation. Much in the same way My Name Is Earl set new lows for being white and not wealthy.

Liberals like their whites in (2) classes. One, the under achieving ignorant whites that probably -should- vote Demonrat AND the rich white country club set that exploits them! Why play to that stereotype? Most of the poor whites I've know and really ppl from all races aren't poor for lack of education, drive etc.

Every time they get an opportunity to get both oars in the water, something 'else' blows up in their face. Much the way Obammie is setting us ALL up to be like?

8. backwoods on July 25th, 2011 8:15 pm

I think it was hilarious! But then, I'm not a believer so I don't have any delicate religious sensibilities to offend.

I remember a guy at a youth ministry during my church-going youth who said his nightly prayers go something like this:

"Lord, I asked you to help me quit drinking, and you did, and I thank you. And Lord, I asked you to help me quit smoking those dank cigars, and you did, and I thank you. And Lord, I asked you to help me quit chasing those wild women, and you didn't, and I thank you."

9. Doug on July 26th, 2011 12:39 am

Non-believers frustrate me, mainly because I can't mock their god — unless that person is a Hopey-Changey Kool-Aid drinker of course.

10. Hyperfobea on July 26th, 2011 9:32 am

Ah … pride, avarice, lust, and gluttony at its finest! In the upsidedown world of plastic christians, these are virtues!

NASCAR = non-athletic sport centered around red necks.
    Pretend Christianity = talk about Jesus, worship self.

11. Tammy on July 27th, 2011 12:12 am

The minister in question has a history of giving the Olde Tyme Revival-style of invocations at the NASCAR races at that track … Just google "Nashville Superspeedway Invocation" and you'll find YouTube video's of Mr Helms' greatest hits … The invocations always get fans / teams / sponsors / media geared up …

The eventual race winner told his team owner, after the invocation, "IF anything happens, I want that guy at my funeral" …

Btw – NOT all NASCAR fans are rednecks / hillbillies / uneducated / etc … One of the most powerful people in the country is a diehard NASCAR fans who travels across the country going to various races over the summer break … He's a member of SCOTUS …