Yesterday Tea Partiers in Congress were Hobbits, and today they’ve moved down a notch to terrorists.

I just read an op-ed at Politico that is so over the top that I was convinced it had to be one of those pieces that uses absurdity to point out the absurd, so I kept reading and reading to get to the part that lifted the lid and exposed the satire. That part never came.

The highlights:

It has become commonplace to call the tea party faction in the House “hostage takers.” But they have now become full-blown terrorists.

They have joined the villains of American history who have been sufficiently craven to inflict massive harm on innocent victims to achieve their political goals. A strong America has always stood firm in the face of terrorism.
[...]
As we stumble closer to Aug. 2, it has become clear that many in the tea party are willing to inflict massive harm on the American people to obtain their political objective of a severely shrunken federal government. Their persistence in rejecting compromise, even as the economic effects of the phony crisis they have created mount, has taken their radicalism beyond tough negotiating, beyond even hostage-taking.
[...]
[...]
Rather than reject the unthinkable, the tea party harnessed this potential harm as its weapon of mass destruction.
[...]
The challenge for America is to stand firm in the face of terrorism, no matter the source.

Tea party members must reassess their distorted vision of patriotism and join true patriots in Congress in raising the debt ceiling promptly until 2013

It’s called the “political process” Sparky, get used to it. Boy, the left loves rabble-rousing holdouts when it comes to laying on the tracks to stop conservative legislation, but when the roles are reversed, suddenly the stubborn ones are worse than Al Qaeda.

The entire article is a caricature of itself — almost Onion-worthy.

But it all made sense when I read the bio of the author:

William Yeomans, an American University law professor, served as Sen. Ted Kennedy’s chief counsel on the Senate Judiciary Committee and as a Justice Department official.

And if anybody is fit to judge the morals and ethics of others, it’s somebody who worked for Ted Kennedy.

Comments

23 Responses to “Tea Party Goes from Hobbits to Terrorists in Just One Day”

1. Marshall_Will on July 29th, 2011 1:41 pm

"Terrorism is a tough term, but, unfortunately, it describes tea party tactics precisely. Their first step was to vow not to vote to raise the debt ceiling."

WHAAAAT 'tactics'? What tactics precisely are we 'using'? So now when you refuse to give your DRUNK co-worker the keys to his car.., you're employing 'tactics'. Got it.

Classic projection. P'BO & Co. wouldn't hesitate to burn a cool mil. in public resources and call in every marker in the book to fix a fellow crony's parking ticket. Hey, that's just business. That's just politics.

At this late hour, Dims want to pretend TARP didn't 'happen'. It did. The reason they don't have to pretend Porkulus didn't happen is because unless you were among the fortunate few, it didn't happen either?

Their objective ( in spite of years of generous beyond belief PEU kickbacks ) is to pretend we ALL arrived here last week some time? And THAT Mr. Yeomans is TACTICS. Oh and stuff it.

2. Dexter_Alarius on July 29th, 2011 2:36 pm

I guess all the Democrat Senators in 2006, including Sen. Barack Obama, were "terrorists" when they voted against raising the debt ceiling then, right?
    What a dipstick. "Mommy! Timmy hit me back!"

3. Joe Redfield on July 29th, 2011 2:52 pm

"…phony crisis they have created…"? I'd agree that it's a phony crisis, but the Administration, with it's shrill warnings about no Social Security checks this month, market meltdowns, and crushing interest rates on future borrowing is where the phoniness originated.

4. Dexter_Alarius on July 29th, 2011 3:29 pm

How 'bout some "shared sacrifice" there, Oboyking? The private sector has been downsizing and cutting costs. How about government sharing the pain? Why don't you tell your cabinet secretaries to cut manpower by 10%? How about slashing their budgets, just like private companies have done? Until you do, STFU about "shared sacrifice"!

5. Marshall_Will on July 29th, 2011 3:53 pm

"Their first step was to vow not to vote to raise the debt ceiling."

God that fries me. No d!ckhead, It.Was.Not. Their first step was to stop the homeowner bailouts. ( See Rick Santelli's rant )

How these a-holes get away w/ re-inventing the TP at the drop of a hat is beyond me? If not for Doug, MM and few others we'd constantly be mischaraterized without the slightest objection?

6. cdl on July 29th, 2011 4:56 pm

Racists, Nazis, Hobbits, Terrorists, what will the PC crowd call us next?

Aliens seem to be the only bad guys left in Hollywierd. Maybe they could call us Martians.

Oh, I know…Klingons from the planet Uranus.

No, wait…that's already been taken by those guys always standing behind Farakahn.

?…

7. Marshall_Will on July 29th, 2011 5:15 pm

cdl,

David Wu ( FORMER U.S CONgressman ) has um… actually already called us that. Famous youtube unhinged rant in '07. You know, before the world's seas suddenly stopped rising blah blah.

Hey! How's everybody doin' on a FRIDAY out there man!? Sadly no boozing for me this weekend. Got PT coming up and at the rate we're going ( one hangover would be all it would take to push most of us over the edge anyway! )

8. SignPainterGuy on July 29th, 2011 7:11 pm

I`ll be doing my annual avoidance of the state`s nearly largest street festival – Bele Chere. The hottest time of the year, always rains, drunks always make the news just ahead of the pick-pockets and lib protests of the street preachers. If it weren`t for the crowds and having to park a mile away, I`d sneak in and out for an assortment of the eclectic foods from around the country and world.

Too much fun !

Good luck w/ pt !

9. SignPainterGuy on July 29th, 2011 8:01 pm

Some of these statements / claims are actually quite accurate…..If you turn them around and direct them toward the left / libs / proggies !

Does anyone else remember the (apparently false) claim that the "Journolist" was disbanded ? Rush today played a montage of a bunch of talking heads repeating some version of the mantra, "The republicans are holding the country hostaqe !" You have to be a total idiot to believe it`s the republicans doing it !

10. Doug on July 29th, 2011 8:16 pm

In other words, file that article under "Projection"…

11. Granny55 on July 29th, 2011 8:28 pm

Picking up a bushel of cucumbers to make pickles in the morning. I'd rather be at the cottage, sitting in my inner tube with a cold adult beverage but my kids would kill me if I didn't make pickles. They will get the usual lecture – no more pickles until I get my jars back – but as usual – I have to go to the store to buy more jars. Boy they play me like the Democrats played Boehner over the debt debacle.

12. SignPainterGuy on July 29th, 2011 8:35 pm

A friend`s sister pickles nearly everything in the garden. That`s a bit much for me, but her bread `n butter pickles are better than any store bought ones. Her pickled beets are great and when the jar is empty, drop in boiled eggs for a week or so. Oh yeah !

13. SignPainterGuy on July 29th, 2011 8:37 pm

Only at a drive-in theater do you find bigger projection !

14. Granny55 on July 29th, 2011 8:38 pm

So as a small business owner and supporter of the Tea Party – I have gone from being irrelevant, to astro-turf, to racist, to extremist, to holding America hostage, to a hobbit and now a terrorist. Geez, who'da thunk? I go to work every day, pay taxes on my business and personal income taxes and all the other BS taxes – and now they want me to go borrow money, to hire more people to help the economy after accusing me of being the most vile human being they can – they can go eff themselves.

Go ask one of those 48% who don't pay taxes and who don't contribute "any skin in the game" to do what I do to fix the economy – they will tell them the same thing – go eff yourselves – I ain't gonna work and pay taxes when the milk is free.

15. Granny55 on July 29th, 2011 9:07 pm

It is worth it in the dead of winter to have pickles, peaches and home stewed tomatoes. Especially the stewed tomatoes as I put onions, green pepper, red pepper and celery in the batches, then when it is time for chili, goulash or spaghetti all I need is a jar of the stewed tomatoes. And open up a pint of the stewed tomatoes and throw a piece of salmon, lake trout or steelhead on top, seal in foil and bake in the oven. Easy and tasty!

We have a farmer's market/ local grocery store that has bread-n-butter pickles that are better than mine so I don't do those anymore. The only other thing I do is called garden special – pickles, cauliflower, carrots and hot peppers and lots of garlic all in one jar. It is yummy! And then I do several small jars of just pickled garlic just for the bloody mary's!!! Extra Yummy!

16. SignPainterGuy on July 29th, 2011 9:16 pm

Oooh, that all sounds yummy ! You just had to mention baking the fish with the tomato stuffs, gee whiz …… I haven`t tried a bloody mary in 30+ yrs; should since my tastes have matured since then in grand fashion ! And I just popped a frozen lasagna dinner into the nuker….. :-(

17. SignPainterGuy on July 29th, 2011 9:19 pm

You got it !

18. Ray on July 29th, 2011 9:28 pm

Hello Doug Powes,

We are still having problems over on MM's blog. Delayed postings and multiple postings. Hope you can advise the admins. again. Thanks.

Hey, Sign Pinter Guy, what are you doinig over here?

19. SignPainterGuy on July 29th, 2011 11:13 pm

This is home for me ! BTW, welcome !

I`ve been a reader of MM`s since early `09 but only started commenting when she opened registration last year (Or whenever it was) been here well over a year ! Some of us give Doug credit for talking MM into opening reg.

I haven`t had the issue at MM`s, but lots have. Sometimes it`s funny !

20. Daily Dive 31 July 11 | adeliemanchot on July 31st, 2011 5:52 pm

[...] Tea Party Goes from Hobbits to Terrorists in Just One Day [...]

21. Frederick Lang on August 2nd, 2011 5:55 pm

Let me introduce myself. I'm a Hobbit and my Hobbit name is Derf Gnal of Oeder (aka Fred Lang of Rodeo). I'm am not a terrorist and I have no weapons except my intellect and a conservative cause some say is the equivalent of terrorism. Perhaps keeping more of my money in my pocket is terrorist….or not spending more than I make terrorist…or believing laws should be followed terrorist. Guess by their definition…I'm a terrorist but to my children…I'm a hero. :0)

22. Tea Party Hobbits Vs. Sauron and His Minions | Constitutional Writes on August 4th, 2011 9:02 pm

[...] will bring about the end of the Nanny State and entitlement culture. We should all be so lucky. Link I believe that members of the Tea Party, and patriots of all persuasions should consider the hobbit [...]

23. Tea Party Hobbits vs. Sauron and His Minions on August 4th, 2011 10:56 pm

[...] Not only are conservatives being called hobbits, but terrorists as well.  Apparently the left-wing apparatchiks fear that terrorist hobbits will bring about the end of the Nanny State and entitlement culture.  We should all be so lucky.   Link [...]