Wisconsin is finally getting to a point where the state’s economy is in good shape and they’re responsibly digging their way out of debt — which of course means the left is pissed off.

The recall elections are upon us:

The latest chapter in Wisconsin’s turbulent politics is set to be written Tuesday as the state gets ready to hold recall elections that could result in Democrats wresting control of the state Senate back from Republicans.

Six state Republican senators are facing the possibility of being recalled as voters head to the polls in a key test of early voting strength in the battle over union rights in this traditionally liberal voting state.

Analysis by the nonpartisan Wisconsin Democracy Campaign suggests as much as $30 million has been spent by outside groups in an attempt to win a divisive and intensely partisan local battle, now seen by many as a national barometer ahead of the 2012 elections.

Ahead of Tuesday’s elections, outside interest groups had outspent the candidates themselves 5 to 1, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

Two Democrats are facing recall elections on August 16th, so it’s possible which way the state Senate ends up leaning might not be decided for another week. The good news is that even if voters give those two the boot, they’ve accumulated enough frequent lodger points at the Heritage Inn & Suites in Illinois to have a place to stay for the next couple of weeks.

Tabitha Hale has a good post at Red State entitled “Why Wisconsin Matters.” Give it a read here.

If you’re in Wisconsin, don’t forget to go vote — but just do it quietly please so you don’t wake up this guy.

Update: Michelle and I are keeping up on any news on the Wisconsin election over at her place. Head here and scroll down for the updates. And as always feel free to share whatever you hear going on in comments.

Update II: Dems fall one short of taking back the state legislature. This basically means that union/left-wing activists spent $30 million to get two state senate seats.

Comments

14 Responses to “Wisconsin Recall Election Day; Updated

1. Marshall_Will on August 9th, 2011 2:56 pm

"Bob Schafer said. “The district required educators to teach six hours a day instead of five, took them from two preparation periods down to one, and eliminated four paid days: one teacher work day and three paid holidays.”

Doesn't mean they have [no] paid holidays, trust me they're getting plenty! Just National Arbor Day, Secretary's Day and some obscure Italian poet's birthday?

Having teachers 'teach' for a full 6 hours? Outrageous..! Yes, these people need to be recalled post haste!

2. ScottB on August 9th, 2011 4:59 pm

I wish I could, but they're not in my district.

wait! Where's the nearest ACORN office? ;)

3. SignPainterGuy on August 9th, 2011 11:48 pm

So, Doug, or anyone….has anyone heard anything from WI yet ? I`ve looked at Drudge and MM`s and a couple other blogs, but nuthin` yet.

The last couple day`s emails from concerned folk have painted a fairly rosie picture of the conservative prospects.

4. Doug on August 9th, 2011 11:53 pm

I've been poking around and so far there's not much worth noting — I'll update Michelle's site (and here) if I get anything before heading up to bed, but I think the polls closed in Wisconsin less than an hour ago.

Plus the media's going to be EXTRA careful in calling races now, thanks to the "Kloppenberg wins!" embarrassment not long ago.

I just found a live blog at the WaPo that has some early info:

5. SignPainterGuy on August 10th, 2011 1:04 am

Eewww, I actually went to WaPoo. Ick ! Saying dims leading 3 of 4. How many car trunks will the ballots pass thru before counting ?

6. Doug on August 10th, 2011 1:08 am

WaPo (and others) kept saying "dems lead" in many races but all their updates are Republican wins. As it stands now, Dems need to run the table on the final 3 uncalled races to have any hope of controlling the Wisconsin Senate, and from what I'm seeing that's very unlikely.

I'm a little surprised Drudge is virtually ignoring all of the Wisconsin stuff…

7. SignPainterGuy on August 10th, 2011 1:20 am

Yeah, just checked MM`s place and it looks better AND more complete there. Good job !

8. SignPainterGuy on August 10th, 2011 1:25 am

NOTHING at Drudge ! Hmmmm…..

Foxnews.com/ only one story with more history than current numbers.

9. SignPainterGuy on August 10th, 2011 3:41 am

It`s done. The Rs kept the dems at 2 and maintain majority. Of course, the dims are accusing the Waukesha Co. clerk Nickolaus of trying to cheat. Whine !

Drudge STILL hasn`t touched it. Foxnews.com, Wash. Times and WaPoo kept a thread going. I would have thought they`d do more. What do I know ?

Again, good job Doug and MM, thanks !

10. Granny55 on August 10th, 2011 10:54 am

$30 million of union dues down the proverbial liberal toilet – they should be so proud of what they have wasted. I hope the next two recalls go to the GOP and give the unions the final slap in the mouth that they so richly deserve. Come on Wisconsinites, stand up for what is right and show the rest of the country just what to expect come 2012. We are proud of you for turning out and doing what is necessary to take this country back from the union goons and Marxist progs.

11. Doug on August 10th, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks SPG!

Somebody now needs to say to those unions, "you spent $30 million for two state senate seats? Imagine how many teachers that could have hired!"

I see Drudge finally mentioned it this morning.

12. SignPainterGuy on August 10th, 2011 9:13 pm

File this under "Not Surprised" or perhaps "Not Unexpectedly":

My local fishwrap made NO MENTION of the dem defeat last night in Wisconsin in either the print or the on-line w/s. They ARE however all over Obama trying to compromise with the evil republicans over the debt crisis AND the Tea Party is to blame for the credit downgrade. The paper is AP sourced, so they can`t say they were unaware of last night`s election results.

13. ScottB on August 11th, 2011 5:57 pm

We may get those two seats right back as two of the 'flee bag' Dems are being recalled this Tues (Aug 16).

14. SignPainterGuy on August 11th, 2011 9:37 pm

That will be interesting to watch. I hope the conservative voter turnout is at least equal to this past Tuesday !

Will the unions spill another $30M on this run ?