Did you see the debate last night? I watched it while flipping back and forth to the Tigers/Indians game and blogged about it a little bit.

Newt Gingrich kind of surprised me… in a good way. BUT, not enough to erase the picture in my head of him on the global warming loveseat with Nancy Pelosi. I thought Bachmann performed well through a spirited sparring session with Tim Pawlenty.

What surprised me a little was that Mitt Romney’s people didn’t think to prepare a comeback to “elitist” jokes that were sure to come his way. Instead Romney just stood there and took the arrow, welcoming the opportunity to move on quickly:

Team Romney had better think of some way to effectively respond to this, or the next debate there will be three of four of these kinds of cracks made. “I know you are but what am I” or “I’m rubber and you’re glue” would have been better than what Romney did.

Just got this on Twitter: “My response: ‘Being good at what I do hardly makes me an elitist!’”

There. Somebody’s already out-prepared several paid campaign consultants.

Comments

12 Responses to “Romney’s People Had Better Think of a Good Comeback to Jokes Like This”

1. Dexter_Alarius on August 12th, 2011 1:31 pm

I was getting kind of ticked that a lot of the debate was the Bachmann/Pawlenty Slugfest, initiated and fueled by Chris Wallace. Attacking each other is not helpful. They need to stick with "I'd be a better President than Obama because…".

2. The Zoo Keeper on August 12th, 2011 2:22 pm

Doug, my same thoughts, as well. Everytime I get an e-mail form the Gingrich campaign, I reply, "Thanks, but no thanks. Time for new blood and next time, think twice about cozying-up with Pelosi." However, in my opinion, he actually came across better than most of the others.

I kept wanting to hear Herman Cain knock it out of the park, but he just can't seem to do it.

3. Joe Redfield on August 12th, 2011 2:31 pm

Forget 'elitist'; what's his comeback going to be when we call him "Squisho the Great"?

4. SignPainterGuy on August 12th, 2011 2:53 pm

Rush is saying right now that Romney won the debate. I agree with him most of the time…..not this time. Romney avoided answering directly, looked slick and sounded so, but, he`s still Rino Romneyscare to me. He won`t escape that.

Gingrich was fun to listen to; did his best to push Chris Wallace out the door. Chris seemed to be auditioning for a spot at MessNBC.

Bachmann`s response to Byron York`s "submission" question was great. Should never have been asked, but since it was, she snarked back a "Thank you …" and then, for it to have been perfect, she should have ended with, "So there, now get outta my grill, Byron !"

5. SignPainterGuy on August 12th, 2011 2:56 pm

I thought Herm did very well. It would have been a lot better if he`d suggested completely eliminating corporate taxes, as did Santorum, instead of lowering them to 25%.

Herman`s point that the country needs a sense of certainty was spot on. That`s the biggest deal right now….biz. has no idea what`s coming next.

6. Doug on August 12th, 2011 3:04 pm

Cain's problem (and, oddly enough, asset), is that he's not a politician. He doesn't have a boatload of canned, phony responses that just roll off his tongue. But yeah, so far he hasn't had even a triple let alone a knock out of the park. I want him to do well but it's not resonating so far. He needs to highlight where he came from and what he's done in business — which is taking over failures and turning them into successes — which is what America's going to need in a next president. Wish he could find a way to work those things in more.

7. Doug on August 12th, 2011 3:07 pm

Whenever I hear Romney I just feel like there's a guy trying to sell me something. If it comes down to Romney and Obama, sure I'll vote for Romney, but I'd rather have a different nominee.

Bachmann should have turned it around and asked Byron if he's a Christian, and if so, does he make HIS wife submit to him.

8. Marshall_Will on August 12th, 2011 3:26 pm

Doug,

Having worked for dozens of guys just like Mitt, Mutual Fund managers, Sales managers, I can honestly say I know what he's thinking before HE does! They're all pretty much the same. Personally I've no issues w/ someone try to 'sell' me something.

It's how the process starts. What Mitt can't seem to get past is, his intended audience isn't a shareholder's, board member's or sales staff meeting. These people don't know "the code". Most of which is in deciphering what is -not- said.

He gets past that he'll do alright. Side note; in the Securities Industry you can't use The G-Word ( Guarantee! ) So in order to convey the concept that risk is minimal, rewards are near certain, we've developed our 'own' language. One Mitt needs to unlearn.

9. SignPainterGuy on August 12th, 2011 7:40 pm

Ditto ! Romney looks too slick, always smiling, canned responses, etc.

I loved Michele`s response, "Thank you for THAT question, Byron !" What was he looking for ? "Why yes, Byron, I hit the mattress every time Mark points and snaps his fingers !" ? For cryin` out loud ! Her response was classy, respectful and complete enough for anyone !

10. Marshall_Will on August 12th, 2011 9:35 pm

Mitt is a very intelligent guy. He's already dumbing it down the best way he knows how. I'm sure if you say him in "acquisition mode" he's not going to suffer fools ( like the one in IA ) gladly?

I always felt that if their wives knew what they were like at the office they'd have never married them. You can tell b/c when there's a corporate function and no one more important than -yourself- is around they'll rush you w/ light hearted banter to show Mom what a great guy they are!

Following Monday you think you're "buds" and it's right back to WhoTF are YOU mode?

11. SignPainterGuy on August 12th, 2011 11:10 pm

It`s really buggin` me that nearly every w/s I see has Romney as the winner last night. I just don`t remember anything he said that was a winner.

12. mcmeador on August 14th, 2011 11:54 pm

I thought his response was funnier than the joke. I can always appreciate someone who takes a jab with good humor and doesn't feel the need for a witty comeback. Owning more than one acre of land is hardly anything to be ashamed of.

But I understand your point. It's the perception that will hurt him if he allows it to persist.