It’s Iowa Straw Poll day, but also today, Texas Governor Rick Perry made a semi-official “I’m in” announcement — though some say a “formal” announcement will happen in Houston sometime next week. Perry’s entrance will make quite a dent in the numbers, barring any unforeseen campaign blunders or embarrassments of course.

One sticking point for Perry he’ll have to address is that in 1988 he was Al Gore’s Texas campaign manager. Perry’s since gotten increasingly conservative, and Gore’s gotten increasingly nuts.

As far as the overall GOP field, I remain in a “hold” pattern when it comes to backing any one person. It’s becoming clear there will probably be no single candidate I’m totally gung-ho about, but ultimately this is about defeating Barack Obama — hopefully with the most conservative candidate possible.

Here’s Perry’s speech today. Pardon the bizarre framing but it’s the only video I could find of the entire speech:

*****

Update: Michele Bachmann wins the Iowa Straw Poll.

Comments

30 Responses to “Video: Rick Perry Throws His Hat in the Ring — Plus, Iowa Straw Poll Winner Announced”

1. Granny55 on August 13th, 2011 8:06 pm

I can't really get behind any of these candidates. As for the Iowa poll – ya know Uncle Ron's crazies will pull one out for the lunatic.

2. AC Chickadee on August 13th, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm not enthused about anyone yet. I'm hoping for Palin.

3. Doug on August 13th, 2011 8:35 pm

I'd like Sarah to get in, but we'll see. She said the other day she'll announce by September if that's what she decides.

4. OK_Loyalist on August 13th, 2011 8:59 pm
  5. SignPainterGuy on August 13th, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks OK_L, that seems clear as tea. Sounds like a definite maybe not !

6. SignPainterGuy on August 13th, 2011 9:41 pm

Good on ya, Michele ! You beat Paul and Romney !

I love and respect Sarah as much as any rational person, but I think she is best in a support position and if we can reform / restructure the R party, then she`d be great as Chairwoman ! In the interim, I`d like to see her endorse and support Michele.

Not a Perry fan after his Dream Act work and lax immigration enforcement stance ! Issues too important to give him a pass !

7. OK_Loyalist on August 13th, 2011 10:16 pm

Maybe it will be less volatile if I say it over here. I'm not pushing Perry, I'm just stating what I believe is true. Rick Perry signed a voter ID bill for Texas for what it's worth.

8. Marshall_Will on August 13th, 2011 10:18 pm

As much as I love Michele, her taking a commanding lead at this juncture is a strategic error. With LSM tough guys in P'Bonius' corner, all they need is for us to "paint the target" to make it as easy as possible for them.

Keep them guessing for all I care. The LSM "convergence" on the GOP front runner will be heretofore UNSEEN! They'll throw their full force into it. And THAT will be 'embarrassing' ( Donna! )

9. SignPainterGuy on August 13th, 2011 11:09 pm

A real point in his favor then.

I heard NH did, but it won`t take effect till `13. NC`s govner vetoed ours, while at the same time signed in "E-Verity". Lots of head-scratching on that one; we figure she wants the votes of the illegals who don`t pay taxes and the taxes from those who do pay them. (fake IDs ?) She`s a real piece of work !

10. Doug on August 13th, 2011 11:09 pm

I lean towards thinking Palin won't run, but not enough that I'd bet more than a dollar on it.

11. Doug on August 13th, 2011 11:12 pm

Every Iowa Straw Poll I crack up hearing people say it's meaningless because all it consists of is politicians buying votes and bribing people with goodies. I don't call that "meaningless"… I call it "good practice."

12. SignPainterGuy on August 14th, 2011 1:03 am

"Buyin` votes and Pimpin` ain`t easy" !

13. Marshall_Will on August 14th, 2011 1:14 am

"I call it "good practice."

Or in this instance "unbuying goodies" ( and/or votes? ) I hear my MOTHER in Michele's every word! Pick up your room, NO… you -cannot- 'borrow' the car. "With 'friends' like you ( who could afford enemies? )"

What this country really needs to ask themselves is, has it really come to this? Gone are the heady days and lofty ambitions. Gone are the dreams of American Exceptionalism, we're down to "Throw those FILTHY magazines under your bed away or I'll show them to Father Driscoll".

How can anyone 'blame' Michele for having been forced into a parental role? Do you think this is WHAT she ( or OUR Michelle and Doug visualized they'd spend their 40's? ) Fighting tooth and nail staving off almost CERTAIN insolvency..?

Hey, I love a 'challenge' too, and frankly get a little bored when things run 'too' smoothly, but spending day after day fending off Invasion of the Progs is getting EXHAUSTING..!

14. Doug on August 14th, 2011 1:28 am

Kind of liked what Perry said today just because you could almost hear the progs running for the hills:

“And I’ll promise you this… I’ll work every day to make Washington, D.C. as inconsequential in your life as I can."

We'll have some good discussions in coming months about the narrowing GOP field, but in the end I'll be voting to get rid of Obama, whether that candidate is Bachmann, Pawlenty, Perry or Palin. Whoever the nominee is, I just don't want to be forced to "plug my nose" when I vote like I did last time for McCain. We'll see.

15. SignPainterGuy on August 14th, 2011 1:49 am

Ditto buddies !

16. SignPainterGuy on August 14th, 2011 1:55 am

http://peskytruth.wordpress.com/ for some fairly extensive info on Perry. I`m in the middle of it now.

So far, there`s no mention of the Dream Act.

17. Marshall_Will on August 14th, 2011 2:32 am

Golly. Wonderful. Because right 'now' they consume our every waking moment and much of our nightmares. I can see Oblame thru my eyelids.

Had I wanted such a relationship, I'd have married LiLo or Tila Tequila. One catastrophe to the next. ( No amount of "wild s_x" could be worth all the Odrama ) Strangely, they're so self-absorbed and drug-addled, I doubt either is capable of delivering?

Hoping for Joey Herrington's speedy recovery! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44125622

( Whatever LIONS fans might want to think, we really gave you the best Oregon has to offer! ) Genuine stand up guy and he can play piano in MY band any day! I'd rate his boogie keys along side Nicky Hopkins ANY day!

18. SignPainterGuy on August 14th, 2011 3:04 am

Check out the Perry info at the link below. Add that to his speech today and you`ve got some real positives and an interesting candidate. Still not a real fan, but it`s good to have more info.

I say OUCH to Joey and wish him a speedy complete recovery. No broken bones till now ? He made up for lost time !

A racer friend was fast before, but after his crash at Daytona where hit a guardrail head first and then the 1000cc bike hit him in the chest, he died and was revived, the helmet broke like a boiled egg shell (Arie took it to study it), he recovered like no body`s biz. and even faster (racing speed) than before. And one of the calmest, nicest guys you`ll ever meet.

19. Marshall_Will on August 14th, 2011 3:56 am

When Greta Van interviewed Rick, I was fairly impressed. GVS let Rick know she'd flown in a chopper before.

Progs love to point to NYC, CT/SF etc. ( where hedge funds sprout up daily ) and say.., SEE! The system works! 'Well'… ( d!ckhead ) those guys can TRADE 'anywhere'!? Belize now a fave.

They slowly are realizing endless layers of frivilous Gov't isn't necessary. And it scares the HELL out of them! They're quick to exclaim, "Look at all the POVERTY just outside Belize's capitol!" and all we can say is… Look at *DC* and the REST of the country and say, "TELL me about it!"

20. Ken in Texas on August 14th, 2011 8:55 am

As a Texan, Rick Perry gets my vote. Texas has and is prospering like no other state I can think of. No state income tax; low cost of living; business is flocking to the Lone Star, and the only problem is, I sort'a expect Nancy Pelosi to show up any day now.. Perry is now in his third term as gov. of the only "boom" state we have. I reckon he can do the same for the USA.
    PS: All you Californians who suddenly have found Texas so attractive, please stay where the hell you are. We don''t want you and the Botox Bitch anywhere near us, y'hear?

21. Ken in Texas on August 14th, 2011 8:59 am

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, in case y'all don't know……we're also heavily armed.

22. Doug on August 14th, 2011 11:16 am

For me, Ken's like EF Hutton — when he talks, I listen. Mostly because he's a bright guy with valid opinions, and partly because he's heavily armed.

There will be raps on Perry… certain immigration things, being Gore's state campaign manager over 20 years ago, etc… but his HUGE selling point is that he's been at the head of a huge economy for years and has a proven track record of success. The numbers don't lie.

Question: With an influx of California libs, how long can Texas survive without being dragged into left-wing hell? Years ago I wrote a column about how that can happen:

23. Ken in Texas on August 14th, 2011 2:27 pm

As long as the libs sray in or around Austin as they do now, we can contain 'em. And thanks for the kind words, Doug!

24. SignPainterGuy on August 14th, 2011 3:50 pm

A commenter at MM`s yesterday said (paraphrased), "I`m a 5th generation Texas conservative and believe me, you don`t want Perry !"

It`s gonna be tough separating the good from the bad about him; the wheat from the chaff. It will be interesting !

I hope Ken is right; the good sounds really good !

25. SignPainterGuy on August 14th, 2011 7:51 pm

Reading around about Perry. It seems he`s curried some favor with muslims, CAIR supports him, but on the other hand, he pissed the muslims off by not inviting them to pray at The Response event. (Would muslims have contributed anything positive at a Christian event ? Not in my mind.)

Also seeing him as a member of the Bilderberg Group, a group of elitists with a global agenda, favoring NAFTA and the North American Union and the NAFTA SuperHighway. (My jury is still out on these, but I`m leaning toward NO)

I Binged; "Rick Perry + Bilderberg Group" and "Rick Perry + CAIR". Also from "ANTI C.R.A.P.T.A.S.T.I.C.S.", Zilla`s FaceBook blog.

I`m hearing alarm bells !

26. Jimbo on August 15th, 2011 1:39 pm

Google "Rick Perry" and

Merck
    HPV
    Immigration
    Trans-Texas Corridor
    Al Gore
    Bad Grades
    Pretty Pony Hair

And the alarm bells will not only go off, but they will melt down.

For anyone who thinks that the Texas economy is due to the intelligence or will of Rick Perry: WE HAVE A WEAK GOVERNORSHIP HERE IN TEXAS. All our fortunate economic activity is due to the wisdom of the people of Texas and their elected representatives.

27. Doug on August 15th, 2011 1:41 pm

Oddly enough, out of all those on the list, it's the "Pretty Pony Hair" that has me the most curious. You sure this is Rick Perry we're talking about and not John Edwards?

28. Dexter_Alarius on August 15th, 2011 2:59 pm

Doesn't the state legislature also only meet for 120 days… every OTHER year?
    The US Congress should do the same. Don't let them "work" long enough to create disasters.

29. SignPainterGuy on August 15th, 2011 9:35 pm

I too would like to see our reps spending less of our money and less time in session and a whole lot more time in townhalls LISTENING to their constituents.

30. SignPainterGuy on August 16th, 2011 12:03 am

Add Atlas Shrugs to the list of w/s with Perry / islam connection stories.

I haven`t found anything refuting it. Maybe Perry believes in a benign side of islam ala GWB, but I do not.