As a free market capitalist, I don’t begrudge anybody financial success of any level that they came upon honestly through hard and/or smart work. That said, some rich people sure do go out of their way to earn some of that contempt that comes their way:

Warren Buffett, the third wealthiest man in the world with a net worth of around $80 billion, is demanding the U.S. government make the rich like him pay higher taxes and says they should no longer be protected like endangered “spotted owls.”

In a New York Times op-ed on Monday, titled “Stop Coddling the Rich,” Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway’s chair and CEO, said he and his “mega-rich” friends have been spared the “shared sacrifice” the country’s leaders have asked for as the country veers toward a double-dip recession.

The reason Buffett’s proposal is preposterous as a “solution” to US financial nightmare is simple. The net worth of Buffett — one of the richest men in the world — could be confiscated (which frankly wouldn’t bother me much at this point) and it would run our government for about a week, give or take another bailout or stimulus. And we’d run out of Warren Buffett types — the “mega rich” — real fast.

I’ve mentioned it before, but the government would welcome a voluntary donation from Warren Buffett in any amount. Or, he could send each and every American living today a check for about $225. Hey, I wouldn’t argue with him.

I just don’t get it. There is a group of wealthy people, Warren Buffett included, who are sitting around looking at what’s being done to America’s economy and saying this to themselves “If only more of my money were wasted by the government things would get better” when money wasted by the government is the problem!

It’s true what they say: Some people are wealthy in spite of themselves.

Comments

8 Responses to “Warren Buffett Begs the Government to Raise His Taxes”

1. OK_Loyalist on August 15th, 2011 1:26 pm

This is all show … http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/12/warren_buf… tells the true story of Warren.

2. Doug on August 15th, 2011 1:43 pm

I think that's true with a lot of guys like Buffett… they don't mind if the government takes their money because they know they'll get it right back… with interest.

3. SignPainterGuy on August 15th, 2011 1:58 pm

It amazes me how stupid and unthinking some really smart thinkers can be !

4. OK_Loyalist on August 15th, 2011 2:16 pm

ROFL … Pat Buchanan gives Warren a put up or shut up challenge … http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2011/0

5. Granny55 on August 15th, 2011 2:27 pm

Although I think Pat Buchanan is a pain in the arse – he at least called out Buffett with the put up or shut up challenge. But you will only hear crickets from good ole' Warren. Unless, he might be willing to pull out the credit card and pay for Dick Obummer's "Magical Misery Bus Tour".

6. Dexter_Alarius on August 15th, 2011 3:09 pm

Yeah, it would be "raise my taxes… if you can find my earnings/assets!"

Capital is like water– it follows the path of least resistance. Put taxes in the way, it it will find a way around it. The rich just put their money where it will be taxed least. Andrew Mellon, uber-rich businessman and Coolidge treasurer, understood this and pushed for tax cuts… leading to a huge increase in revenue when the rich brought their money back from their tax shelters and put it to work.

7. joyannaadams on August 15th, 2011 3:28 pm

Yeah, how many times has Warren been to the White House? I've lost count.

Making money out of thin air…might be hard work I guess, but trying to influence the rest of the world by constantly being Obama's messenger means that somehow he thinks he will make money off people agreeing to grap more taxes from the disappearing middle class: because we all know, Warren is NOT going to lose any money if he can help it.

8. gwlintl on August 16th, 2011 12:48 pm

The Content/ remarks were helpful. From hyderabadonnet dot com(send flowers and gifts to Andhra Pradesh).