A lot of these “calls for bipartisanship” coming from private sector “no labels” types are just liberals expressing how disappointed they are in the Democrats they’ve been supporting but who can’t quite bring themselves to say it. Case in point, the CEO of Starbucks:

(CBS News) NEW YORK – The chairman of Starbucks is calling for a boycott on campaign donations to incumbents in Washington until President Obama and Congress find agreement on the deficit.

In an open letter Howard Schultz wrote “the government needs discipline, the people need jobs – and leaders need to lead. Our country is better than this.”

According to Newsmeat, since 2000, Schultz has given almost $100,000 to politicians and party causes — all of it to Democrats.

Somebody who has only given money to one party in the past decade-plus is disappointed that his money didn’t help fund bi-partisan cooperation? Sure.

Fun fact: I once treated a group of friends to Starbucks and within five minute I hit my debt ceiling.

(h/t Mediaite)

Comments

11 Responses to “Starbucks CEO Calls for Boycott on Campaign Donations; Democrats Hardest Hit”

1. SignPainterGuy on August 16th, 2011 4:50 pm

Looks like he`s in new territory. You`d think a CEO would have to be on a faster, more vertical learning curve !? Baby steps…….baby steps.

Yeah, Starbucks is not my kind of place. It tears them up when I ask for "100% Colombian coffee" !

2. Dexter_Alarius on August 16th, 2011 5:00 pm

Hey, Howard, you ordered the grande kenyan mulatto with a double-shot of progresso– now drink it up!

3. Marshall_Will on August 16th, 2011 5:04 pm

Golly Progs, be careful who you snub! Recently Howard was scheduled to speak at a Church ( I know God forbid huh? ) and a petition on Change.org forced him to withdraw:

Past speakers have included former President Bill Clinton, GE's Jack Welch and rock singer Bono.

A Starbucks spokeswoman confirmed Schultz would not speak as scheduled, but she declined to say more"

Howard's had an AMAZING ride! Right place at the right time kinda' guy. Things had come pretty easy to him. HELL, I've made a lot of money off that stock so it's not like I'm complaining? But it's finally come time for HS to GTFU. Welcome to the world most of us live in Howard!

4. joyannaadams on August 16th, 2011 5:49 pm

He's just mad because McDonalds came out with a cheaper version of Starbucks.

5. SignPainterGuy on August 16th, 2011 6:36 pm

"Staahbuss been reaw goo fo me Howard !"

6. OK_Loyalist on August 16th, 2011 7:00 pm

LOL

7. Marshall_Will on August 16th, 2011 8:37 pm

OMG!

Oh and get one to GO for Steve Wynn will ya'? Aren't these wanker Dim CEO's in charge of a lot of capital to be doing this much driving in the rear view mirror?

8. Hyperfobea on August 17th, 2011 9:00 am

The grande kenyan mulatto (with or w/o the progresso) is only available for a limited time!

9. Dexter_Alarius on August 17th, 2011 10:43 am

Can we compare Starbucks' profit margin (9.52%) with, say, Exxon-Mobil's (8.51%)?
    Who's really sticking it to the consumer?

10. SignPainterGuy on August 17th, 2011 3:22 pm

Will it be avail. till it`s sold out or will it be pitched on the expiration date ?

11. SignPainterGuy on August 17th, 2011 3:25 pm

I can count the times I`ve patronized Starbucks on one hand, but I buy gas twice a week, every week.