Photo(s) of the day: Loyal dog watches over his master and fallen patriot for a final time:

Petty Officer Jon T. Tumilson was laid to rest Friday in Rockford, Iowa, where an estimated 1,500 mourners came to pay respects for the fallen Navy SEAL, including his dog Hawkeye. In fact, Hakeye’s loyalty to his owner at the funeral was visible, creating a heart-wrenching image as he laid down by the casket of his owner during the entire service:

I’m sufficiently choked up — how about you?

Comments

9 Responses to “Man’s Best Friend Guards America’s Finest”

1. Laura on August 23rd, 2011 5:03 pm

There are no words and not enough kleenex. God bless them both. God bless all our military, their families and four-footed friends who love and miss them.

2. SignPainterGuy on August 23rd, 2011 5:48 pm

3. SignPainterGuy on August 23rd, 2011 5:56 pm

I`m reminded of the movie "Hachey" (correct me if I`m wrong) of the dog who mourned and waited for his master for years after his passing.

It`s a shame that there isn`t a "general / universal" love, loyalty to family, friends and country demonstrated by these 4-legged companions !

Thanks Doug ! Prayers all around !

Prayers for all the earthquake victims this afternoon, as well. While relatively minor by comparison to those felt on the left coast, the easterners are not used to this type experience and there was some significant damage.

4. sizemorew on August 23rd, 2011 6:52 pm

Very much agreed.

5. OK_Loyalist on August 23rd, 2011 10:26 pm

The wonderment of the Canine!

Prayers to all of our soldiers ….

6. Obama bin Biden on August 24th, 2011 3:56 pm

Pulitzer.

7. Rosalie on August 24th, 2011 9:08 pm

I saw the movie Hachi (sp.?) and cried for weeks after that everytime I thought about that dog. They're love is unconditional; no strings attached.

8. SignPainterGuy on August 24th, 2011 9:27 pm

It was a Japanese name, it was spelled "Hachi". I just looked it up. You are correct ! And yes, they could teach us much if we`d just pay attention ! ;-)

9. alison on August 24th, 2011 11:05 pm

Breaks your heart It doesnt say who the dog goes with now. I remember watching a CNN special about war dogs left behind during world war one and two though they fought by our soldiers courageously and the military didnt want to spend the exspense of bringing the dogs back this dog at the casket I pray they aboloished leaving the dogs in these forign countries. My daughter a soldier I wish she had the comfort of such a loyal cpmpanion for life. One of the soldiers on this special spent thirty thousand in court to try to bring his dog back he even paid to go to Korea to find the dog though he heard stories about the dog he never found him and was visibly shaken. Now the Thanks our soldiers get for fighting for our country in a forign land facing such obstacles we will never know they talk about cutting their pay while they are risking their lives, so sad for us all. If anyone knows what would happen to the dog who will take him please share God Bless America and all soldiers who protect her!