Did you feel the earthquake? Some people here in Michigan are reporting that they felt the ground move, but usually when that happens it turns out to be that Michael Moore fell out of his chair reaching for the KFC bucket.

The quake was felt on Martha’s Vineyard, and you’ll never guess where President Obama was at the time — or maybe you will:

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was half a mile deep. Shaking was felt at the White House and all over the East Coast, as far south as Chapel Hill, N.C. Parts of the Pentagon, White House and Capitol were evacuated. There were no immediate reports of injuries.

It was centered near Louisa, Va., which is northwest of Richmond and south of Washington.

Obama and many of the nation’s leaders were out of town on August vacation when the quake struck at 1:51 p.m. EDT. The shaking was felt on the Martha’s Vineyard golf course as Obama was just starting a round.

Who looks stupid for wearing a helmet now?

Tweet of the day:

Wild prediction: This earthquake will make its way into Obama’s coming jobs proposal outline as a contributor to the crumbling infrastructure we need to spend billions more dollars to shore up.

Here’s the White House and Capitol during the quake — if Congress and the White House weren’t on a break you’d have seen lobbyists flying off like fleas from a shaking dog:

*****

Update: By way of Hot Air, Obama gets word of the earthquake while on the golf course. If my lip reading skills aren’t failing me, I believe he’s asking if TOTUS is okay:

*****

Oh, and when I made the Caddyshack reference in the comments I swear I hadn’t yet seen Mike Nelson’s Tweet. He worded it a lot better anyway.

Comments

15 Responses to “Tuesday Afternoon Open, Earthquake Edition; Updated

1. Marshall_Will on August 23rd, 2011 6:25 pm

Visiting w/ my regional rep. and we had CNBC on in the background at the time. Kind of embarrassing we both had this cautiously 'optimistic' look on our faces hoping against hope..?

Drat!

2. sizemorew on August 23rd, 2011 6:54 pm

"The quake was felt on Martha’s Vineyard, and you’ll never guess where President Obama was at the time — or maybe you will…"

I so called it.

3. Joe Redfield on August 23rd, 2011 7:05 pm

This was caused by either the Tea Party, or Al Gore falling out of bed.

4. Marshall_Will on August 23rd, 2011 7:33 pm

"Apparently, Perry supporters are as rabid and blind as Obamazombies and Ron Paulists. Do you know who else supports Rick Perry? Terror tied CAIR does supports Rick Perry – that alone should tell you all that you need to know, but there is more, much, much more…"

Ya' know… Michelle lost a few 'friends' over RP too? ( I don't think she's losing any sleep over it and neither should you )

5. SignPainterGuy on August 23rd, 2011 9:13 pm

In the WH vid, the two guys in the lift at the front of the bldg, that`s two "puckering strings" that won`t loosen for at least a week !

The "Bush`s Fault" name-change is circulating like nothing I`ve seen !

I`ve heard that the quake was felt 100 miles SE of Chapel Hill, NC and as far north as Toronto. Granite really transfers / transmits a good rock n roll !

6. OK_Loyalist on August 23rd, 2011 10:27 pm

"In DC there hasn’t been as many people saying “did you feel that?” since the last time Congress held pickpocket practice."

ROFLMAO !

7. Doug on August 23rd, 2011 11:18 pm

I was picturing The One's putt stopping right on the edge of the cup, and then the ground tremors dropping it in, ala Caddyshack.

8. Doug on August 23rd, 2011 11:20 pm

With the way the GW scheme is going, maybe Al fainted.

9. Marshall_Will on August 23rd, 2011 11:53 pm

You know… Sheriff Joe 'does' somewhat resemble the Caddyshack Gopher..?

To this day, Mrs. Will snickers and boogies to "I'm Alright, ain't nobody worry 'bout me!" In our house, no matter what we're doing, everything comes to a halt when Caddyshack comes on. We even have the "19th Anniversary Edition".

So much of what they were doing was strictly ad lib. Kinda' like our current Administration?

10. sizemorew on August 24th, 2011 11:46 am

I could see that happening. The question is would it still count as one stroke?

11. Granny55 on August 24th, 2011 11:52 am

Was on vacation in northern Michigan – and I did not know there was an earthquake until I got home and turned on the TV last night – so no, didn't feel a thing. That is one of the nice things about "getting away" – no tv, internet, etc. It is nice to take a break from ALL of it.

12. Hyperfobea on August 24th, 2011 2:42 pm

Funny thing about some Michiganders claiming they felt it. What did they think they felt?

13. SignPainterGuy on August 24th, 2011 3:05 pm

I didn`t notice it, if it could have been felt at my home. My house thumps, cracks and pops so much, I could almost miss a train in my back yard. Then again, sometimes noises several blocks away sound like they`re right outside my window.

Some folks 15 miles east in the SanFran of the East Coast did feel it and are milking it for all it`s worth !

14. Granny55 on August 24th, 2011 5:54 pm

It was just Michael Moore taking a dump at his vacation villa in Traverse City.

15. Granny55 on August 24th, 2011 5:57 pm

As I said earlier, I was up in northeast Michigan on vacation. There are three quarries within 60 miles and an Air National Guard Base just west of us. When they blast at the quarries or the jet fighters take off – everything shakes, rattles and rolls so we wouldn't have known if it was an earthquake or not.