Normally I’d say that the latest Keynesian kookery going around is too good to be true, but since it allegedly comes from the same Nobel-winning “economist” who touted the economic benefits of the government faking a space alien invasion it sounds about right.

With that said, please please tell me this is real:

From most accounts I’ve been able to find, it is a genuine quote from Krugman. But you never know. The snark was flying fast and furious yesterday.

Even if it’s fake, if that doesn’t nicely sum up liberal economic theory — which is “ruin = prosperity” — nothing does.

Update: Yeah, it was too good to be true, dangit. Back to the space alien idea…

Update II: I couldn’t have put it better than Krugman:

So if you see me quoted as saying something really stupid or outrageous, and it didn’t come from the Times or some other verifiable site, you should probably assume it was a fake.

Comments

7 Responses to “Another Paul Krugman Classic? — Updated: Too Good to be True?”

1. Dexter_Alarius on August 24th, 2011 10:56 am

If damage = economic growth, I guess London should be starting its boom times about now. Let's repeal all laws against vandalism, riot, breaking and entering, and burglary. That ought to get us back on the road to prosperity!

2. Doug on August 24th, 2011 11:21 am

And Japan should have its best economy ever by now.

3. Dexter_Alarius on August 24th, 2011 11:58 am

If DC were completely wiped out I can see a lot of economic growth… in the rest of the country.

4. Marshall_Will on August 24th, 2011 1:09 pm

Dex,

Good point. The sheer consolidation of POWER in Washington, and MONEY on Wall Street post 9/11 is alarming. Our repentent tone for that logistic error lasted all of 6 mos.

Years ago we had the American Exchange in Philly, of course the Pacific Stock Exchange and even the Spokane Exchange ( which traded largely mining co's ) Even though the ind. is trending toward non-centralized, virtual exchanges, make no mistake ( the money's stayin' HERE! )

Rebuilding and reinforcing DC's domination in a country as large as the US is almost as PRIMAL as Asia. Where there's Manila, Bangkok, Singapore and… desititute MILLIONS! Basically Prog's wet dream.

5. SignPainterGuy on August 24th, 2011 4:43 pm

This is truly fascinating; PK wants us to check the NYTimes to be sure a quote is genuine, but never implies that what he says won`t still be "stupid or outrageous" !

BTW, YES Paul, we ARE laughing AT you !

6. Granny55 on August 24th, 2011 4:49 pm

Spot On SPG – that is exactly what I was going to say. EVERYTHING that comes out of that pie hole is stupid and outrageous!!! I can't believe people think he is smart.

7. SignPainterGuy on August 24th, 2011 5:18 pm

People think Greenspan was Smart…….Shrillary, The Bernanke, and especially The OneWe`veBeenWaitingFor ! Someone thought BiteMe is smart; they sent him to China ! (getting dizzy from shaking my head)

The list goes on !