Remember this?

“If you like your health care plan, you can keep it.”

Well, unless you can’t:

Nearly one in 10 midsize or large employers expects to stop offering health coverage to workers once federal insurance exchanges start in 2014, according to a survey from a large benefits consultant.

Towers Watson also found in a survey completed last month that an additional 20% of companies are unsure about what they will do.

Another big benefits consultant, Mercer, found in a June survey of large and smaller employers that 8% are either “likely” or “very likely” to end health benefits once the exchanges start.

Employer-sponsored health insurance has long been the backbone of the nation’s health insurance system. But the studies suggest some employers, especially retailers or those paying low wages, feel they will be better off paying fines and taxes than continuing to provide benefits that eat up a growing portion of their budget every year.

The idea all along was to make it much easier and even cheaper for companies just to dump their health care plans and turn their employees over to the government.

If the Obamacare law isn’t repealed, that 10% will rapidly climb, because the wonderful “we need to pass it to find out what’s in it” scheme is designed to do just that. Everybody (except the fat cats who supported ramming the law down our throats) will have lousy, rationed coverage. How much more fair can it get?

Comments

21 Responses to “‘If You Like Your Health Plan, You Can Keep It’ Update”

1. Granny55 on August 25th, 2011 1:39 pm

Well reasoned adults knew this was going to be nightmare. This Obamacare plan has been brewing for 40 years. The libs just kept adding crap to it year after year. Lots of freebies for the lazy asses to get their votes. Hillary tried to put it into effect and we had people on our side who actually possessed a pair of cajones and put a stop to it. This time – no one – and I mean no one really stood up and said no except the American people who knew this scheme was going to be a big cluster f&*k. Our insurance and our health care will never be the same because of this fraud.

2. swede on August 25th, 2011 2:03 pm

‘If You Like Your Health Plan, You Can Keep It’ – assuming

It still exists
    You are still employed
    Your employer still offers it
    You can afford the co-pay
    You don't need it

3. SignPainterGuy on August 25th, 2011 2:31 pm

You`re exactly right Granny and swede, it was ALWAYS a scam. The ol` bait n switch. The work-at-home scheme, where you never produce your quota or the required quality.

It was never about health care or health care cost coverage; it was / is about power, control and huge amounts of money in the pockets of a select few.

4. SouthernReverie on August 25th, 2011 2:48 pm

My husband has owned his own business since 1994. The business grew at a nice pace until the Dems took over Congress in 2006. He now works on his own with no employees. We have had health insurance through his business for years. We provided medical insurance free of charge to our employees. We were notified last month that medical insurance for the two of us (basic coverage with a $3000 apiece deductible, no dental or vision) will increase from $800 per month to $1100 per month due to provisions in the Affordable Health Care Act. Of course, technically, we could keep the coverage we had, but we can no longer afford it. We are currently shopping for a private insurance plan. I hope we can find one we can afford on the small amount of money we make now, thanks to the business-strangling policies of our current government.

5. Dexter_Alarius on August 25th, 2011 4:04 pm

Obama just held a news conference where he stated that he was wrong, Obamacare was a huge mistake, and he called on Congress to reconvene and repeal it as soon as possible and begin working on a bill with market-based solutions to the rising cost of healthcare!

Wait. Where am I? Why is there a puddle of drool on the desk?

6. SignPainterGuy on August 25th, 2011 4:56 pm

I knew you were in "dreamland" ! ;-) Were there unicorns and Skittle rainbows ?

7. sizemorew on August 25th, 2011 6:44 pm

I was about to start looking for all the beards. For a moment I thought I'd fallen into the Star Trek mirror universe.

8. SignPainterGuy on August 25th, 2011 8:24 pm

I wear a beard in any universe I happen to be in ! 26 yrs now !

9. Dandapani on August 25th, 2011 11:53 pm

We got a note from the practice of our family doctor of 5 years that he had resigned effective immediately last month leaving my wife and I to scramble for a new family doctor for our upcoming scheduled appointments (she's 59 and I'm 56). We got no warning he was he resigning (or was he forced out by the managed care practice). He was a young and enthusiastic doctor and the first gp in ten years to correctly diagnose my high PSA as possible prostrate cancer sending me to a specialist for further diagnosis and treatment.

Keep our doctor? Nope. I'm starting to think this is early fallout of upcoming Obamacare.

10. SignPainterGuy on August 26th, 2011 2:16 am

Bless your hearts ! I hope you both can find a new and enthusiastic GP. Prayed for you both already.

11. Dandapani on August 26th, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks, SPG. I wasn't sure my comment was posted. Looks like moderation is turned on now.

Google "Da Vinci Robotic Radical Prostatectomy".

12. Dandapani on August 26th, 2011 9:09 am

But this post went straight thru. Weird. Perhaps I was on secret double probation.

13. backwoods on August 26th, 2011 10:00 am

Big Brother is watching you!

14. Doug on August 26th, 2011 10:30 am

I don't moderate each comment, but for some reason sometimes the "filter" gets triggered and it puts it into approval then, but I usually can clear those through within a few minutes because I get an email.

15. gwlintl on August 26th, 2011 1:48 pm

I like the article. Visit chennaiflowerplaza dot com (send gifts and flowers all over Tamil nadu).

16. SignPainterGuy on August 26th, 2011 4:07 pm

My Dad had bladder cancer. The operation to remove it also took his prostate. For him at least, it wasn`t the end of the world. Twenty yrs since then, I`m sure techniques and post op treatments have greatly improved !

Best wishes !

17. SignPainterGuy on August 26th, 2011 4:08 pm

You must have a "quick-draw" smart phone holster; you`ve gotten pretty quick !

18. Divin’ for The King Penguin….30 August 11 | adeliemanchot on August 30th, 2011 5:18 pm

[...] ‘If You Like Your Health Plan, You Can Keep It’ Update The whole bogus pitch for Obamacare was that there were millions of uninsured that should be covered — so naturally among the first things that will happen is that people who already have coverage will lose it and be thrown into a bureaucratic sausage grinder that is the government-run system. [...]

19. kkdsa on November 23rd, 2013 3:40 pm

A very fine article and exceptional blog. Is there any way I can subscribe to new articles, you know I like acquiring them on email or something like that.

20. jjdsds on November 23rd, 2013 3:41 pm

That is very good comment you shared.Thank you so much that for you shared those things with us.I'm wishing you to carry on with Ur achievements.All the best.
    Dr. Ricks:  Boise Auto Accident Pain