How many jobs were added in August?

Proof-positive that the president and the economy are inextricably linked: Both of them took a lot of time off last month as the net increase in jobs was zero:

Employers stopped adding jobs in August, an alarming setback for an economy that has struggled to grow and might be at risk of another recession.

It was the weakest jobs report since September 2010. The unemployment rate remained at 9.1 percent.

And there’s this “Ack!” factor:

We’ll now await Jay Carney’s afternoon “blame Bush” press conference.

Don’t worry though, I’m sure Obama’s “jobs speech” next week will make everything better by recommending the application of the same remedies that have been proven to do nothing except perpetuate the ailment.

Update: By way of Hot Air, here’s Dean Wormer informing everyone how many jobs were added in August:

Update II: Gettin’ outta Dodge:

Comments

21 Responses to “Latest Jobs Report Shows the Economy Went on Vacation in August Just Like the President”

1. Marshall_Will on September 2nd, 2011 12:11 pm

"by recommending the application of the same remedies that have been proven to do nothing except perpetuate the ailment."

More leeches! I will say, the sidebar on Kerry ( he served in Viet Nam you know ) was almost refreshing. Now I in NO WAY agree w/ his approach to dealing w/ -job killing- over reach but… he's admitting there's a problem within the Fishing Industry.

An important first step. Another pol on the ropes finds the Tea Party! I say, embrace them! Mass. Conservatives need to be melting his phone lines in approval, but also to drive him a step further.

Send him a spatula and plastic bags MA! Side note, I was good friends w/ the Liberty Funds rep. in Gloucester and he considered himself the luckiest man in the world to serve that community!

2. The Zoo Keeper on September 2nd, 2011 12:33 pm

The next time Perry is questioned about Creation, he needs to say, “My views on Creation are the same as my views on job creation – something never comes from nothing – as we’ve seen with Obama’s ‘green jobs’ initiative.”

3. Doug on September 2nd, 2011 12:39 pm

Speaking of that, I've never been able to wrap my head around Stephen Hawking's embrace of the "first there was nothing, then it exploded" theory.

4. SignPainterGuy on September 2nd, 2011 1:25 pm

Headline in local fishwrap: "At last, Economy Points to Growth"……

Reminds me of the cartoon showing the Blamer-in-Chief pointing "over there" to place blame.

5. The Zoo Keeper on September 2nd, 2011 1:26 pm

Hawkings "….sets out to contest Sir Isaac Newton's belief that the universe must have been designed by God as it could not have created out of chaos."

He believes it was created out of "chaos"? – So he proceeds to title his book, "The Grand Design".

6. TexasMom2012 on September 2nd, 2011 1:33 pm

I was considering playing a drinking game, a shot for every "I, Me, My" uttered by the president but I was afraid I would pass out in the first 5 minutes… So I am going for the sip of margarita for every possessive pronoun. Hopefully I will be able to stay upright enough for the GOP response… But I will DVR just in case!

7. SignPainterGuy on September 2nd, 2011 2:17 pm

pResidentin` is so hard ……. pResident ZERO is already needin` another vacay. He hasn`t been off vacay for a full week has he ?

8. Marshall_Will on September 2nd, 2011 2:57 pm

SPG,

If they were ref. to NC 'locally' that may well be true. My investment guru-group has long held NC will be among the first rise to the surface for a gasp of fresh air. Solid infrastructure, business friendly ( comparatively! ) technology and BIO-technology leading the way. Not to mention the upswing in the trucking hub when commerce resumes Jan. 2013. You've already bit the bullet on Wachovia.

In that regard we are hopeful. Additionally, other than one-truck-johnny builders and their fraudster buddies, most of the economic fallout resides 'elsewhere'. So some New Yorker bought a summer place on the Shelter Islands and defaulted? It was w/ HIS local bank = NMP! We're watching Boise, ID for basically the same conditions.

9. Marshall_Will on September 2nd, 2011 2:59 pm

TM'12,

At 52 I'm thinking wine spritzer, lots of ice but don't let 'me' spoil the fun!

10. Dexter_Alarius on September 2nd, 2011 3:11 pm

In this case, I believe that 'growth' is a tumor.

11. SignPainterGuy on September 2nd, 2011 3:26 pm

The headline was for a "nat`l" story, FWIW.

I noted some time back that w/ our state leg. changing to R majority, NC is becoming more biz friendly and I am hopeful / prayerful !! Unless I heard it wrong, Gov. "Ma Bev" Purdue (D) set a record for vetoes and the R leg. set a record for vetoe over-rides. Fascinating !

As of now, it`s much more likely a "tumah", and it`s growing wildly !

12. SignPainterGuy on September 2nd, 2011 3:28 pm

I figure I`ll just drink coffee (I HATE hangovers). I`ll be vibratin` like a tuning fork !

13. SignPainterGuy on September 2nd, 2011 3:34 pm

RE: Update III; Yes, it`s nothing but BS, a re-election ploy !!

"Oops" and "admitting mistakes" is not in the left`s vocabulary ! Look for its return later, when no one is looking because of another made-up crisis !

14. Marshall_Will on September 2nd, 2011 7:35 pm

"This was an actual headline used in 8/26 edition of The Oregonian."

Ok DOUG.., we've all had our little yuck at the Beavers' EXPENSE now haven't we! That's what YOU guys do on a slow day in the newsroom, sex it up a little? Have a great Labor Day my friend!

And yes, you are ALL now on Double Secret Probation!

15. OK_Loyalist on September 2nd, 2011 8:59 pm

"Update III: Obama halts planned EPA regs. Gee, it’s almost like he’s admitting over-regulation is bad for the economy but it only matters when he needs to get re-elected."

You can bet your sweet Bippy that as soon if he/they get re-elected, that they will re-instate any policies.

16. Doug on September 2nd, 2011 11:55 pm

You all have a great weekend too!

That "Beavers" headline was my second favorite… my all time favorite was the one that was about a hurricane name and a town that happens to be named after a former president: "Bonnie Blows Clinton"…

17. Doug on September 2nd, 2011 11:58 pm

Even more maddening, what'll probably happen is that Obama will take to the campaign trail to tout himself as a proponent of throwing out job-killing regulations, and they'll all be regulations he proposed that weren't even implemented yet.

18. SignPainterGuy on September 3rd, 2011 12:43 am

Much like the Porkulus signs on construction projects that were already planned if not actually started.

19. Marshall_Will on September 3rd, 2011 12:17 pm

"Gee, it’s almost like he’s admitting over-regulation is bad for the economy but it only matters when he needs to get re-elected."

Can there be any doubt BHO's 'plan' from Coronation was to substitute make-work GOV 'positions' for actual Private Sector JOBS on a one-for-one basis?

Every pink-slipped former pvt. sector employee was viewed as nothing more than a freshly-minted, Prog/Dim 'convert'. Whether or not they ever re-entered pvt. employ was of little concern.

The biggest failing of 'the plan' ( as will be the new, NEW plan ) is the much anticipated upswing in business activity will simply again fail to materialize. Obama only ever intended for enough of a pvt. recovery to support the 'loose ends' they'd swoop in and expropriate later.

20. Pasadena Phil on September 4th, 2011 1:44 pm

There is one difference this time around. More and more CEOs are standing up to the crony capitalism lately. If they are vocal about it as the deals are struck, Obama's "plan" (I will drop the parentheses when he actually puts something in writing that can be properly analyzed) will weigh heavy around his neck as he tries to use it in his campaign speeches.

There has been a pronounced change of sentiment over the past two weeks at CNBC (which is staffed mostly by well-connected liberal New York Democrats) where they are openly voicing frustration with Obama and the Democrats. This could be an important signal of a tide shift. Suddenly, ridiculing QE3 and reckless government spending is fashionable. I expect Hillary to step into this mess and finish Obama off once it is clear Romney is the GOP nominee.

And I just listened to William Krystol admitting that Bush and Perry are/were crony capitalists (Romney's only advantage in this race). I won't be voting for Romney but there is no evidence whatsover that he is a crook. He just cannot be believed on the most important conservative issues. Perry is a crook.

21. adeliemanchot on September 7th, 2011 2:24 pm

[...] Latest Jobs Report Shows the Economy Went on Vacation in August Just Like the President And there’s this “Ack!” factor: It’s the first time since February 1945 that the government has reported a net job change of zero. [...]