Last night I was talking to my wife, and we both found it hard to believe it’s been ten years since September 11, 2001. It’s cliche, but it “seems like only yesterday.”

That day changed many of us in our own ways. For me, 9/11 was the reason I switched from writing about more generic topics throughout the 1990′s (“doesn’t it suck losing your hair,” “people who take way too long to fill out their check in the grocery store line,” etc) and started focusing on politics as well as other national and world events — but with the intent of adding some humor to otherwise somewhat serious topics. I believe my first politically-oriented column was in early October of 2001 (it’s here, but be warned that I wasn’t into proofreading much back then — in other words, not much has changed in a decade).

That day we saw human tragedy caused by the attack on the United States, but what I remember most is the subsequent unity. Gone were liberals and conservatives, “Native Americans,” “Hispanic Americans,” “African Americans” etc., and for a brief moment in time we were simply Americans. Maybe it didn’t last long, but if there was a splinter of hope gleaned from the rubble of that day, it was that Americans, in time of crisis, will find common purpose and come together to defeat those who seek to do her harm.

Sure, the conspiracy theorists, “fire can’t melt steel” Hollywood moonbats and the “blame America first” crowd wondering what the US did to make somebody so angry crawled from the knotted woodwork almost immediately, but — select elected officials and assorted wackos aside — Americans in general were, and are, unified to defeat a common enemy.

In late 2001, the world saw that America had strength, resolve, and a president who threw a strike when we needed it most:

*****

On the subject of finding light during our darkest hours, give a read to Zilla’s 9/11 post.
*****

This brings back memories because I happened to be online at the time of the attacks: What the front pages of the web looked like the morning of 9/11/01.
*****

As I said before, most of America understood the implications of 9/11, but there were those who just didn’t get it and don’t to this day. Here’s Paul Krugman from January of 2002:

I predict that in the years ahead Enron, not Sept. 11, will come to be seen as the greater turning point in U.S. society.

People still take that guy seriously? And he’s still at it (h/t Pasadena Phil in comments).
*****

Continued thoughts and prayers for the families of those who lost their lives on 9/11, as well as those in our military who have given their lives and those who risk their lives to make sure 9/11/01 is never repeated.

Comments

10 Responses to “10th Anniversary of 9/11”

1. laree on September 11th, 2011 1:31 pm

Bill White Imus’s Guest on Imus In The Morning Fox Business New.
    Three Days after the attacks of September 11th 2001, Bill White and the folks at Intrepid, decided to change the view of what OBL would be viewing on his television. Turns out Bill White was right OBL, liked to watch the response to his handiwork. Bill White, we changed what he would be watching when he turned on his tv, it was like giving him the middle finger. September 11th, 2001, "A Room With A View" I will never forget- never submit

2. zillaoftheresistance on September 11th, 2011 2:42 pm

Thank you for linking my post today, Doug.
    Never forget what happened and never ever forget that it was done to us for islam.

3. SignPainterGuy on September 11th, 2011 3:28 pm

My Dad told me back in the `80s that islam posed the greatest danger to America; even greater than socialism / communism. So, on the morning of 9-11-01 as I watched HHN as the first tower was burning and the talking heads were wondering if this was a terrorist attack or just a horrible accident …….. and then saw the second plane fly directly into the South Tower, there was no doubt in my mind; this was a deliberate terrorist attack on America BY islam FOR islam !!

4. OK_Loyalist on September 11th, 2011 3:47 pm

"That day we saw human tragedy caused by the attack on the United States, but what I remember most is the subsequent unity. Gone were liberals and conservatives, “Native Americans,” “Hispanic Americans,” “African Americans” etc., and for a brief moment in time we were simply Americans. "

This is what I remember most as well.

5. OK_Loyalist on September 11th, 2011 8:00 pm

The word 'surrealistic' struck quite deep into my mind as well.

6. Granny55 on September 11th, 2011 9:24 pm

As we watch the events today, please keep another group in your thoughts and prayers. Many US veterans are coming home to limited work opportunities and join up with contractors and re-deploy to theater thru private contractors. My daughter left her husband and 16 month old son today for Afghanistan with the private contractor that she is employed by for 2 months after serving 3 tours in the mid east with the US Army. Her husband just returned in April from Iraq after a 14 month tour with a contractor. He has served 4 tours with the US Army. This will be the new face of the military.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 as well as our brave men and women in the military and those that back them up in private contracting.

7. mcmeador on September 11th, 2011 10:43 pm

I agree that it is hard to believe that it has been 10 years since 9/11. It really hit home when watching "102 Minutes That Changed America" this morning and seeing someone using what looked like a Nokia 5110. That is a day that will forever feel like just yesterday.

8. Granny55 on September 12th, 2011 12:21 am

That was by far the best documentary that I have seen yet. It has been on several times before and is the most un-biased I have seen. God Bless all those who left this world that day and those who must carry on in this life with this horror. God Bless America and Our Troops who protect us.

9. zillaoftheresistance on September 12th, 2011 9:42 am

Here is how the ten year anniversary of the 9/11 islamic terror attacks were observed across the pond:

Londonistan Mohamadeens Burn US Flag, Stab EDL Members

Religion of pieces.

10. Hyperfobea on September 12th, 2011 10:27 am

There are those who have convictions and those who claim to have convictions. The difference is the consistency with which those convictions are applied. When those convictions involve violence, the victim in fighting back must adopt the very same conviction as the attacker. There can be no compromise.

Islam must be utterly crushed by the West and eradicated from the West before Islam crushes the West. For a relook at history, read Hillaire Belloc's notes on the resurgence of Islam.