It was perplexing enough that President Obama memorialized the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks by packaging meals (did Al Qaeda attack us because we don’t spend enough time volunteering in soup kitchens?), but it’s important to remember that the White House did call attention to the real meaning of that day:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2011, as National Grandparents Day. I call upon all Americans to take the time to honor their own grandparents and those in their community.

Hey, Bush made similar proclaimations on 9/11. Well, he called it “Patriot Day,” but it was all about the grandparents.

My grandparents are no longer here, but if they were, they’d be scratching their heads over this.

Comments

10 Responses to “The White House’s Singular Focus on the Meaning of 9/11”

1. Hyperfobea on September 12th, 2011 4:24 pm

Move along, move along, nothing to see here at ground zero …

2. Dexter_Alarius on September 12th, 2011 5:06 pm

Un. Friggin'. Believable.
    I suppose next he will make a slight spelling change for the 4th of July: Dependence Day.

3. maladroit on September 12th, 2011 5:53 pm

Now THAT was funny!
    The sad part is that I'm gonna steal it from you….yet I remain a conservative Republican.

4. joyannaadams on September 12th, 2011 6:45 pm

You do NOT want to hear what MY grandparents would have said about this.

5. Pasadena Phil on September 12th, 2011 6:49 pm

Did Teh Won make this proclamation in English or in his native Kenyan? He grew up in a culture that is markedly different from America. It might have lost a little something in translation. What he meant to say was: "I'm with Paul Krugman. Screw America!"

6. sizemorew on September 12th, 2011 7:05 pm

Just when I thought Obama couldn't get more clueless.

7. SignPainterGuy on September 12th, 2011 8:15 pm

Sure we do, Shirley, go ahead and tell us ! ;-)

8. What the hell?: Obama Declares 9/11….(wait for it)….National Grandparents Day « Mayrant&rave on September 13th, 2011 1:21 am

[...] Doug Powers – The Powers That Be – 09/12/2011 [...]

9. backwoods on September 13th, 2011 12:42 pm

Apparently his only hope for reelection is to be considered grandfathered in, therefore he gets to stick around for four more years.

10. Pattye Bagshaw on September 13th, 2011 1:28 pm

Jimmy Carter proclaimed the first sunday following Labor Day as National Grandparent's Day, back in 1978.