Most major online news outlets are running this picture of Obama with other leaders at the UN (this is a cropped version):

Here’s a full-size version at MSNBC.

Getty Images published the picture with their watermark along with this caption:

NEW YORK – SEPTEMBER 20: U.S. President Barack Obama waves while standing with aother leaders during the Open Government Partnership event at the United Nations September 20, 2011 in New York City. The United Nations General Assembly kicks off September 21, with leaders from around the world attending. (Photo by Allan Tannenbaum-Pool/Getty Images)

Yahoo is running it too, as is Daylife.

I’m always up for an Obama gaffe, but this picture seems just too good to be true. I’m reading a 50/50 mix of “it’s fake” vs. “it’s real.” If it’s a ‘Shop, even Getty fell for it. Photoshop sleuths, feel free to weigh in (the MSNBC version is the best to see details). Something about the arm and how the hand looks over the other guy’s face doesn’t seem right, but then again, to me, nothing seems right about this presidency. But if it is real it’s yet another gift from the gaffe gods.

The photo’s authenticity aside, a commenter at Pajamas Media had the perfect caption: “Who wants to see Obama re-elected?”

Comments

33 Responses to “Is This ‘Obama at the UN’ Photo Real?”

1. sizemorew on September 21st, 2011 12:29 pm

Great caption by Pajamas Media, but I take the image with a grain of salt. If this is legit, I can barely wait until next November.

2. Pasadena Phil on September 21st, 2011 1:12 pm

It's really hard to detect photoshops with Obama because he always strikes the same pose with the same practiced smile. A couple of years ago, some blog highlighted this by posting several pictures where he looks exactly the same, as if people were posing next to a cardboard cutout of the president.

3. The Zoo Keeper on September 21st, 2011 1:56 pm

Without hi-rez image it's hard to tell, but looks legit to me.

4. Lee on September 21st, 2011 2:22 pm

But, people think the Birth Cerificate was a Photoshop fake… and were absolutely SURE!!!

5. sizemorew on September 21st, 2011 2:53 pm

I forget where I saw it, but it was a gif picture that switched between Obama pics with his face in the middle of it. It never changed. Creepy.

6. Joe Redfield on September 21st, 2011 2:55 pm

My initial reaction was that it must be fake because even President Pinata isn't that stupid, but on further review…too close to call.

7. Pasadena Phil on September 21st, 2011 2:58 pm

That's probably the one I'm referring to. I seem to remember that the title included "cardboard cutout" in it. I've noticed ever since how quick he strikes the same pose and smile when he greets people and turns to the cameras. It's a very practiced move.

8. don on September 21st, 2011 3:03 pm

The shadow of Obama's fingers appear on the other man's face.

9. Doug on September 21st, 2011 3:11 pm

So far I've found nobody proving it's a fake — or even trying to for that matter. Getty no doubt would have pulled it by now if it wasn't genuine.

If it does turn out to be real it'll be one of those "instant classics."

10. qr4j on September 21st, 2011 4:00 pm

Yep. I can see that now. I am inclined to think it is real. If it is fake, it is one helluva fakein light of don't comment.

11. backwoods on September 21st, 2011 5:56 pm

Ed Morrissey over at Hot Air says he has confirmed that it's real.

12. SignPainterGuy on September 21st, 2011 6:10 pm

As usual, this doofus doesn`t understand protocol. One question though; is someone standing out of frame with a cue-card saying, "Smile and Wave – It`s ALL About YOU !" ?

13. backwoods on September 21st, 2011 6:14 pm

I think he owes an apology to the guy whose face he blocked with his hand.

14. SignPainterGuy on September 21st, 2011 6:30 pm

The guy IS a UN member; he probably stands a good chance of getting one !

15. backwoods on September 21st, 2011 6:34 pm

Oh, excuse me. The Useless Nuisance owes us an apology for being here.

16. Truesoldier on September 21st, 2011 6:42 pm

Another thing I noticed was the woman above and to the left of Obama. She sure does see to be looking at him with a bit of a dissaproving look.

17. SignPainterGuy on September 21st, 2011 6:44 pm

I usually call it the Useless Nations; "Nuisance" is better. Consider it stolen ! ;-) And YES, they do owe us and much of the rest of the world HUGE apologies !!! And refunds !!

18. SignPainterGuy on September 21st, 2011 6:52 pm

He`s falling in everyone`s estimation !

19. SignPainterGuy on September 21st, 2011 6:56 pm

Agreed, but it would have to be a lot more like him. And I still wouldn`t be one !

20. backwoods on September 21st, 2011 7:03 pm

If I ever meet him I'm going to ask him why he retired from the Senate so young (72). Where I come from guys serve in the Senate till they're 100.

21. SignPainterGuy on September 21st, 2011 7:24 pm

Ol` Strom Thurymon (tryin` fer the accent) was an exception in many ways. What a difference a little longitude makes ! (isn`t Miller from GA ?)

22. sizemorew on September 21st, 2011 7:44 pm

Gonna prevent a double post by posting an update:

*headdesk*

23. backwoods on September 21st, 2011 8:00 pm

Yes he is, from the little town of Young Harris. I think the speech he gave at the 2004 Republican National Convention was the best and most dynamic speech I ever heard. I have tried in vain to find video of him giving his "A Deficit of Decency" speech on the Senate floor. I bet it was well worth hearing. I read the book by the same title. He has my respect.

24. SignPainterGuy on September 21st, 2011 8:13 pm

I actually heard that speech; it was inspiring. The dims reaction to his "betrayal of party" was snort-worthy as well !

25. backwoods on September 21st, 2011 8:18 pm

It's on YouTube if you want to hear it again.

26. Marshall_Will on September 21st, 2011 9:21 pm

Which 'version'?

27. Marshall_Will on September 21st, 2011 9:26 pm

Prog Privvies. Given Duh Wun envisions himself as The Leader Of The Prog World, these little indescretions should be over looked. That 'man' ( whomever he might be ) is of little consequence.

Only He matters. Now all we need is a "Do you swear to tell the Truth, the WHOLE truth and nothing BUT the Truth..? So help you… 'God'..?

28. SignPainterGuy on September 21st, 2011 10:00 pm

IF it comes to "TheOneHe`sBeenWaitingFor" having to swear an oath, I bet he flubs it just like he did twice before. No third-time`s-the-charm for him. No, he`ll choke on GOD !

29. joyannaadams on September 22nd, 2011 2:20 am

"Yes, I DID have sex with that woman…Beyonce…and I admit it, but this was before I met Michelle."

30. Portia on September 22nd, 2011 12:33 pm

Actually, there's a film of what was going down and this is not fake. I'm pretty sure though that he MEANT to showcase his new $42,000 bracelet but somehow forgot to slip it on as he was leaving the house…..so Michelle grabbed it to show off at the evening affair with billionaires he approves.

31. Chris on September 22nd, 2011 9:53 pm

It looks fake but even if the picture is authentic what's the big deal here? It was probably taken from a digital camera with dozens of more shots with this group. Just delete it and take another picture. Do they think the public is that stupid? Anything for another dumb story…

32. Barbara on September 30th, 2011 1:03 am

Great screwup, but nothing can top when he went to England and toasts during "God Save The Queen". Absolute proof that he is an idiot. Media didn't report it, only Fox News did.

33. samson99 on November 18th, 2011 12:36 pm

The adoption of the steam driven rotary printing press distribution via steam trains to rapidly growing concentrations of urban populations helped ensure the profitability of the paper and its growing influence.Thanks for sharing the informative post. Regards. Energy efficiency rebates