When I ran across the headline at the Raleigh News & Observer that said N. Carolina Governor Perdue had “joked” about suspending upcoming elections until the economy can be turned around, I started reading the story waiting for the part that made it clear that she was joking. I still haven’t found it:

“You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things. I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that. The one good thing about Raleigh is that for so many years we worked across party lines. It’s a little bit more contentious now but it’s not impossible to try to do what’s right in this state. You want people who don’t worry about the next election.”

Hmm, sounds like somebody is worried about the next election. Maybe a video of this would make it clear she was exaggerating, but I think it was more a peek inside the head of another Dem who senses the house of power crumbling around her.

I’d like to submit a “joke” that Perdue might find as funny as I find hers: Instead of cancelling next year’s elections, let’s move them up to next Tuesday!

Perdue’s office was the one that later insisted she was engaging in hyperbole (too late… the GOP already has a nice quote for their ads):

“Come on … Gov. Perdue was obviously using hyperbole to highlight what we can all agree is a serious problem: Washington politicians who focus on their own election instead of what’s best for the people they serve,” Perdue spokesman Chris Mackey said in an email to TheDC.

In explaining away the Governor’s “hyperbole,” what they’re basically saying is “in a perfect world, elected officials could only truly do what’s best for the public if they could take comfort in the fact that the public doesn’t have any redress against their actions.” That won’t exactly smooth things over with those who have a problem with what Perdue said.

Update: Former Obama Budget Director Peter Orszag joins in: We need less democracy.

“Democracy” is a great thing until it starts holding people accountable for the consequences of their actions, at which point those same people have the audacity to revolt against Democracy rather than admitting their policies led to ruin.

Update: Listen to the audio from Perdue’s speech. “Joking”? Not at all.

Comments

21 Responses to “Governor Perdue’s ‘Joke’ was Funny… Just Not ‘Ha Ha’ Funny”

1. sizemorew on September 28th, 2011 12:50 pm

A shocker to no one that they want to hold off being voted out of power.

2. Hyperfobea on September 28th, 2011 1:04 pm

"You want people who don’t worry about the next election.”

The goal then is to make sure there are no more "next" elections … until Barry and his pinkos have concluded their task of taking the American people to Third World status.

Time frame here, anyone?

3. TexasMom2012 on September 28th, 2011 1:17 pm

I agree, let's move the election to this November… Then the Congress will have the next two years to do the 'RIGHT thing'!!!!

4. Nick on September 28th, 2011 1:56 pm

I live in NC unfortnately, I don't think it has so much to do with her being a Dem, but rather a dim-wit.

5. Joe Redfield on September 28th, 2011 2:25 pm

That line about "Washington politicians who focus on their own election instead of what's best for the people they serve" sounds a lot like a certain President we all know.

6. SignPainterGuy on September 28th, 2011 3:04 pm

I`m guessing you`re NOT our usual "troll Nick". He would have wondered what`s wrong with people not thinking Ma Bev was right !

I`m a WNC native btw.

7. Dexter_Alarius on September 28th, 2011 3:07 pm

Trial balloon? I suspect that BO is trying to think of some way to suspend elections to maintain power. I think the 2012 Apocalypse will be some terrorist attack that provides the justification for Teh Won to declare he will stay president to maintain 'stability' during the crisis.

8. SignPainterGuy on September 28th, 2011 3:15 pm

Ma Bev Perdue was our past govner`s right-hand girl, thickly involved in the criminal activity that made him now a convicted felon. You should have seen her work before the Rs took the majority of the state leg.; she was way far left.

This year, she set a record for vetoes of bills, only to see the R controlled leg. deliver a record # of veto over-rides.

Ma Bev vetoed "Voter ID, but signed "E-Verify". We figure she wants the votes of illegal aliens who don`t pay taxes and the taxes from aliens who do.

I wonder if she wasn`t "joking" about STATE elections and not necessarily FED elections. It does look like a trial balloon when you consider that Peter Orszag also said the same(ish) thing !

I`m hoping she will be replaced next election.

9. path on September 28th, 2011 3:19 pm

That's exactly what I thought! And the Dem Congress doesn't even bother with what they are charged to do – make a budget. It's been what – two years now??

10. SignPainterGuy on September 28th, 2011 3:20 pm

That`s what I`ve been saying since his emaculation !

11. SignPainterGuy on September 28th, 2011 3:25 pm

As Rush explained it, the dims can`t pass a budget. That would expose what they`re really up to.

The Rs haven`t had the #s to pass one and would rather go along to get along, it seems !

And yes, Ma Bev must have been referring to the Campaigner-in-Chief !

12. ironhorzmn on September 28th, 2011 3:33 pm

LISTEN to her words and the tone of her voice for yourself. __I have and I know she's not joking.

13. Doug on September 28th, 2011 3:35 pm

I just heard Rush play it a while ago… you're right, no, she's wasn't joking!

14. Hyperfobea on September 28th, 2011 3:48 pm

Uncanny.

Hey, you're not in on it … are you?

15. Hyperfobea on September 28th, 2011 3:54 pm

The larvae appear to be entering the next phase of their development. But if they have the courage of their convictions they will boldly proclaim to the USA before the truth is manifest … "communist and proud of it"!

16. Pasadena Phil on September 28th, 2011 4:55 pm

What she is arguing is that government works best when it is immunized from being held accountable by the voters. The reason our democratic republic holds elections in the first place is to allow voters to weigh in. It is the most important of the many checks and balances created to frustrate the consolidation of power into the hands of those few who would rule by tyranny.

No society survives for long that fails to win the approval of the population. The reason we are at a stalemate recently is that the half of us who don't pay taxes are demanding even more from those of us who do. By shutting down elections, someone is going to decide who can speak and who must shut up. Is that person also elected or is it going to be a disposable tsar?

You can't have a democracy where the government is always working to subvert the will of the people.

17. Jimbo on September 28th, 2011 8:11 pm

Tyrant. Note the snitty tone Perdue's office takes when called out on the carpet. It shows the typical liberal hatred of the stupid commoners they despise. How dare we analyze their statements with an eye to the preservation of our rights?!

Naked tyrants.

18. zillaoftheresistance on September 29th, 2011 12:44 pm

Bev Perdue has Ample Motivation for Wanting to "Suspend" Elections
    She is a career corruptocrat with a long and very dirty political history. You can read about some of her other scandals over at my place. I think those scandals are her motivation for wanting to do away with elections. She needs to be removed from office via impeachment ASAP, I don't think it's a good idea to wait around for the next election when the state's executive officer hopes to eliminate it.

19. zillaoftheresistance on September 29th, 2011 12:48 pm

I don't think North Carolinians should wait till the next election, she can, and should be impeached! And it ain't just me saying so.

20. SignPainterGuy on September 29th, 2011 4:09 pm

She should be impeached and no you`re not the only one saying so; the story made the top of Drudge Report 2 days in a row, numerous talk shows and national tv news. Rush lead off with her story yesterday !

Wow, what a way for NC to get in the news ! :-(

21. SignPainterGuy on September 29th, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks, Zilla. Your post is very well done, here and especially at your place.

I think the idea of impeachment is gaining some traction. No telling yet if it will actually happen though.