The irony was inevitable. The “Occupy Wall Street” movement is getting greedy:

The youth behind the original movement are organized into factions or committees, including legal, medical, and finance, and they are pulling away from association with the union protest movement now. The people behind the original movement recognize that their strength is in their youth, and we found little evidence to confirm reports that they’re not organized.

They now have $40,000 in the bank, in an account at Amalgamated Bank.

“At first, Victoria [Sobel, one of the movement's unofficial leaders] was sleeping with $10,000 in the park,” says Darrell Prince, who works on the finance team. He and others on the team wear a gold “$” sign as an elbow patch to identify themselves.

“We’ve collected $40,000 from donations and buckets on the street,” Prince says, and “the money is really going to start rolling in now.”

The movement is certainly trying to earn their place on Wall Street, don’t you think? How long before Occupy Wall Street incorporates and has an IPO? No wonder Michael Moore likes this them so much.

They might soon have to admit that they can’t do battle with rich people without accumulating some wealth — but by then it’ll be too late — they’ll have become what they hate.

Hey, there’s a song in there somewhere.

Comments

19 Responses to “‘Occupy Wall Street’ Irony Alert: ‘The Money is Really Going to Start Rolling in Now’”

1. John Wiseman on October 6th, 2011 11:57 am

The song is, "Won't Get Fooled Again," by The Who. We have all seen this movie before, and it'll end in the same way.

2. Arthur Graham on October 6th, 2011 12:09 pm
  3. Hyperfobea on October 6th, 2011 12:28 pm

That's the trouble with zealotry. What begins with perhaps a modicum of honesty (typically built on a foundation of envy, i.e., the catalyst) becomes dishonesty when the objective is realized.

4. Pasadena Phil on October 6th, 2011 12:48 pm

Just wait until these "do gooders" succumb to the leadership of the greediest and most ruthless among them. Without the accountability that comes with capitalism, all you have are power-hungry people spouting compelling ideals behind a mask of good intentions. It never EVER works out. Lots of their own end up before firing squads established by their own leaders and voila! Cuba!

5. sizemorew on October 6th, 2011 12:48 pm

"They now have $40,000 in the bank, in an account at Amalgamated Bank."

Wait. Wasn't part of the protest about being against banks? Irony right there.

6. Marshall_Will on October 6th, 2011 12:57 pm

"Without the accountability that comes with capitalism, all you have are power-hungry people"

Wrong! ( What you 'have' Fellow Tea Partier is Portland Oregon! )

Sport that I am, gonna' let that one slide. Besides, Mrs. Will and I are celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary! ( By working ) She mentioned something about having Mexican food? ( IN MEXICO! )

7. Pasadena Phil on October 6th, 2011 1:07 pm

Congratulations to you and the Mrs. But I'd wear helmets and kevlar if I were going to Mexico.

8. Pasadena Phil on October 6th, 2011 1:11 pm

Off topic but Obama is in the middle of a press conference right now and is sounding like a child again.

"Every independent economist, you know, people who do this for a living, agree that my jobs bill will create lots of jobs."

If you want to see the DOW jump 2000 points fast, resign Mr. TOTUS.

9. Marshall_Will on October 6th, 2011 1:11 pm

John,

I've even memorized the lyrics!

Meet the NEW Prog,

Same as the OLD Prog!

That's when Pete smashed his *Gibson* SG on stage. Heady daze my friend.

10. sizemorew on October 6th, 2011 1:17 pm

I have one question for the president: "Are those independent economists given donations by you or any of your administration?"

11. Granny55 on October 6th, 2011 1:48 pm

My mother is going to be 81 and she is one of those wealth envy types and it drives me right up a wall! Glad I got the "good" conservative genes from my dad. That said, looking at the pic of these "protestors" all I see is a lot of people I would never dream of hiring. Blue hair, dog collars, piercings, tats galore. Give me a break, they are barking up the wrong tree. And…. if they are so against greedy capitalists, one would think they would give up all of their worldly possessions – namely their cell phones and Ipods. Creeps!!!

BTW – did you see where the lunatic moonbat from Westboro Baptist Church tweeted that they are going to protest at Steve Jobs funeral. And…….she tweeted it from an IPhone!!! What a phony!!!

12. SignPainterGuy on October 6th, 2011 2:22 pm

28 years of puttin` up with …… er uh, uh sorry, I mean CONGRATULATIONS to the both of you ! ;-) Good goin` lad ! Give the Mrs. a hug for me ! Kisses optional ! My coffee mug is raised for you !

Yep, Phil is right, Kevlar and take your own bottled water ! Maybe if the "Newest Senior Staff" is on the ball, you can afford the trip ……

13. SignPainterGuy on October 6th, 2011 2:25 pm

No, No, those "independent economists" donate money to pRes. Zero for the opportunity to be "HIS" economists !! Pay attention girl ! ;-)

14. SignPainterGuy on October 6th, 2011 2:30 pm

Wealth Envy …. the new stupid ! (not so new, just given new life) Ah, Zombie Stupid ! Yeah !

15. sizemorew on October 6th, 2011 2:33 pm

Oops! My mistake! Thank you, SignPainterGuy! :)

16. Marshall_Will on October 6th, 2011 2:38 pm

Thanks guys! No, we wouldn't consider MX on a BET! Haven't given it a serious thought in years. Just my way of saying these things keep on getting more -expensive- the longer you've been together!

Here's a thought? How about this year as a gift we give future generations of AMERICANS at least a chinaman's chance of living in a Democracy! Restore Capitalism? Diamonds? Gold?

I know, more PAPER $$$$$ !

17. Marshall_Will on October 6th, 2011 4:47 pm

Granny,

Wealth Envy is the chip on your shoulder that just keeps on giving and giving…

It is like that, 'thing' that puts a craw in your throat or… chaps whatever hide you might be, wearing. It is like a *snake* to your mongoose! (WTF?)

Anyway, small wonder so many of us have such a hard time letting go of an efficient Excuse Generator. It 'explains' so much!

18. ScottyB on October 6th, 2011 5:23 pm

Granny55 beat me to the punch… I was gonna mention there's a good chance most of these people have a Mac or iPhone (or both and other iOS devices) which they bought from something like an EVIL Best Buy Corporation that has executives and stock that's traded on Wall Street, who, in turn, was supplied by the EVIL Apple Corporation that also has executives and stock that's traded on Wall Street. Along with the clothes they're wearing to the car that brought them there… all corporations of some kind. Yet they bark at the evil rich people….

19. SignPainterGuy on October 6th, 2011 6:58 pm

Clueless hypocrites …… a dangerous combination !

So far, the Asheville,NC "occupation" hasn`t yet involved union thuggery; they have been very peaceful and obedient of the police when told to move, but they are so clueless of how they get the things that make their lives comfortable !