Super rich hippie-crites are a neverending source of amusement.

From the Ben & Jerry’s website by way of the Washington Examiner:

We, the Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors, compelled by our personal convictions and our Company’s mission and values, wish to express our deepest admiration to all of you who have initiated the non-violent Occupy Wall Street Movement and to those around the country who have joined in solidarity. The issues raised are of fundamental importance to all of us. These include:

•The inequity that exists between classes in our country is simply immoral.
•We are in an unemployment crisis. Almost 14 million people are unemployed. Nearly 20% of African American men are unemployed. Over 25% of our nation’s youth are unemployed.
•Many workers who have jobs have to work 2 or 3 of them just to scrape by.
•Higher education is almost impossible to obtain without going deeply in debt.
•Corporations are permitted to spend unlimited resources to influence elections while stockpiling a trillion dollars rather than hiring people.

We know the media will either ignore you or frame the issue as to who may be getting pepper sprayed rather than addressing the despair and hardships borne by so many, or accurately conveying what this movement is about. All this goes on while corporate profits continue to soar and millionaires whine about paying a bit more in taxes. And we have not even mentioned the environment.

Good call on not mentioning the environment, B & J’s. When you’re talking about Occupy Wall Street, it’s probably a good idea not to open that particular can of worms.

Here’s a flashback to what our Wall Street protest supporters were doing in the spring of 2000:

SOUTH BURLINGTON, VT — April 12, 2000–Ben & Jerry’s Homemade, Inc. (NASDAQ:BJICA) and Unilever (NYSE:UN – news; NYSE:UL – news), have agreed to a unique and ground-breaking combination in which Ben & Jerry’s will join forces with Unilever to create an even more dynamic, socially positive ice cream business with global reach.

The Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors approved Unilever’s offer of $43.60 per share for all of the 8.4 million outstanding shares on a fully diluted basis, valuing the transaction at $326 million, taking into account net cash and option proceeds. Ben & Jerry’s had sales of $237 million in 1999 with operating income of $13.5 million before a one-time charge.

Ben & Jerry’s have done their share of occupying Wall Street… just from the other side of the wall.

Everything the Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors lists as their reasons for supporting OWS are “problems” that Ben & Jerry themselves endorsed Obama because he was capable of fixing them. Now they’ve all given up on Obama and instead put their hope in a bunch of unemployed vagabonds and do-nothings who are turning public parks into cesspools? That can’t be good news for Obama.

Comments

28 Responses to “Hypocrisy Nut Cluster: Ben & Jerry’s Supports ‘Occupy Wall Street’”

1. joyannaadams on October 10th, 2011 5:24 pm

Dear Ben and Jerry,

Wwe the people of America wish to express our deepest outrage at the inequity of the prices for your ice cream during this deep depression, a hardship that you have bestowed on us all.

Since we are in an unemployment crisis, we find it almost criminal that you have not lowered the price of your ice cream so that even the poor can afford it.
    Many people have to give up breakfast, lunch and dinner just so that they could have a gallon of your very fatting deserts.
    (sorry about mistakes your server is not letting me correct them)

The issues raised are of fundamental importance to us all. Therefore we expect you to put your beliefs into your actions: Free Ben and Jerry's ice cream for every household in America until this depression ends. Since of course, you help put Obama into office with your own money made off of the poor suffering people.

2. Marshall_Will on October 10th, 2011 6:08 pm

FREE Ben & Jerry's for everyone!

( +10,000 Joyanna! )

What schmucks. Want to play it that way? We should swamp their distributors ( or is that re-distributors? ) for Free Ice Cream requests! Why not, Granny55 says it goes GREAT with saltwater lobster and Mountain Dew?

3. Granny55 on October 10th, 2011 6:23 pm

I got busy and forgot to post the latest one. A cashier sent a copy of a receipt from another loser on the doles. Guess what the balance was on his taxpayer funded cash food card? $5300.00!!! Evidently, your benefits roll every month and you only have to use your card once a month to keep collecting. So instead of use it or lose it – they get to build cash benefits on the card.

Yup – they just keep on stickin it to the ones who pay, and pay and pay.

4. Marshall_Will on October 10th, 2011 6:36 pm

The Obama Player's Club Card: Don't leave home withOUT it!

BANK… fool! Wow, saving up for a major SCORE I'm guessing..? Even if she/they/whomever only hauls in 50 cents on the dollar that's (1) BIG bigscreen TV! And that's just a basic human right, 'right'?

To think I spent Saturday night w/ some very talented musicians that haul their own gear, set up their own gigs and JAM until 1, 2 o'clock in the morning to split $500 bucks ( 6 ways! ) Most them have day jobs at the hospital. Which is practically like Unemployment.

They asked if I would "sit in" but I had to pass. After the COLD I just got rid of I said, Guys, it took all my strength just to get DOWN here!

5. cdl on October 10th, 2011 7:35 pm

I heard they are coming out with a new flavor.

It's called "55 gallon barrel of Kool-aid."

It's supposed to taste like marijuana brownies, but I don't know for sure.

6. SignPainterGuy on October 10th, 2011 7:44 pm

This whole Occupy ______ can`t be good for O`Zero. Ask any representative of the movement what they are opposing; you`ll get a list as long as your arm. But ask any of them what they think might be solutions to these grievances, you either get crickets, or a rehash of that arm`s long list ! They haven`t got the first clue how to solve anything, nor do they even have a clue how hypocritical they are !

Even the AP is dumping on pRes. Zero now. It looks like the first signs of preparations to toss Teh "Used to Be" Teh One under the bus ! Today it was reported that Two Realities exist: one in his speeches and one in DC !

Perhaps B & J can come up with a new "flavor" ! For FREE of course !

7. Pasadena Phil on October 10th, 2011 7:59 pm

It doesn't matter. The Dems and MSM are super-imposing a heroic message onto the story. I can't believe this is happening in my own lifetime. Anyone who isn't deeply cynical yet is being willfully ignorant.

8. SignPainterGuy on October 10th, 2011 8:08 pm

Yeah, it`s too difficult to believe anyone could be this ignorant
    by accident". It must be desired or drilled in !

9. Marshall_Will on October 10th, 2011 8:40 pm

DeMSM's! Super 'impose' THIS!

Phil, just got a call from a headhunter and had to talk him off the ledge. So many of these rep's are underwater ( they couldn't move if they wanted ) He said everyone he talks to just feels totally powerless. Frustrated.

This HAS to be a tough time for those guys. No one's moving anywhere. They really are the canary in the coal mine for the broader industry.

Oh and I'm designating Beatty, NV as Tea Party Sanctuary City (TM) or Prog-free Zone! That or Tonopah..? Pahrump?

10. Joe Redfield on October 10th, 2011 9:18 pm

I wonder, does B&J Inc pays all its employees equally, or do some make more than others? And has B&J continued to hire new employees even as demand has remained steady? And have any of B&J's employees turned themselves in for aiding and abetting the epidemic of obesity that is making our youths heads as fat as Michael More?

11. Pasadena Phil on October 10th, 2011 9:26 pm

I made a very smart and timely move in 2006 when I abandoned the major wirehouse that had hired me in 1992 to go independent. Although it is frustratingly difficult for everyone to do business these days, I still AM in business and working with some great people in a great environment.

Most of the brokers I left behind are now out of business or retired. Those that are still there are miserable. It really sucks to be trapped in a company that is forever cutting expenses while reading one bad headline after another. They have lost a ton of business.

I left when the wirehouses were "persuading" us smaller producers to "team up" with the big producer arguing that this would propel our businesses to higher levels. But it actually enabled the bigger producers to cherry-pick accounts while enabling the company to consolidate business under fewer and fewer brokers. The smaller brokers were squeezed out and unable to take accounts with them, most were forced out of the business. That is why the head hunters are frustrated. Even the big producers who would love to move can't and those of us who went independent are just not interested.

I get calls almost daily from various head hunters, branch managers and others who want to talk to me about "taking my business to the next level" but I laugh them off. I value my independence over income and they really have nothing to offer. Besides, even with the demise of the bond business, I still make more money than I could elsewhere.

Some want to buy my book but I intend to work until I drop. I really love this business. I can't believe I have some of the clients I have. Sometimes I look around the office and wonder how I got so lucky to work around such people. There are big things going on that I can't talk about but will end up being national headlines eventually.

As to Tea Party Sanctuary City, I've been to Tonopah. There are worse towns but I've visited some NV towns are populated by some truly creep people. I mean worse than "Deliverance" creepy. I'd rather lay a claim to some highly desirable town or city and simple crowd out the population like the illegals do.

12. Marshall_Will on October 10th, 2011 9:54 pm

Phil,

Great breakdown of the biz. I can't thank you enough for that kind of feedback. It's so important to have right now. I'm finally noticing a reduction in headcount. About.freaking.time!

I got tired of losing accounts that like you say ( how'd I ever LAND 'that' one? ) b/c someone's niece just grad'd and got hired on at____? From what I understand there are virtually NO young people coming into the business and many older guys are chucking it.

I'm hopeful that w/ a Change at the top Hope can be restored. The way He sat on his hands until the 11th Hour on the Bush Tax 'Cuts' I know was the last straw for a lot of people.

I just thought it would be fun if the Tea Party nominated some podunk town to say… You can't MESS w/ us.., 'here'! just for a goof. Well it was abandoned and we didn't think anyone would mind?

13. Pasadena Phil on October 10th, 2011 10:03 pm

It has been one of my pet peeves about Republicans and conservatives that we don't stand our ground. "Why don't you leave that hopeless state!", "CA is hopeless. We ought to just give it back to Mexico." Why don't we figure out what prime location we want to take over and do it? Why do we always have to abandon the best places to the libs? We outnumber them anyway. It's really hard to feel optimistic about conservatism and Republicans when we are always running away and compromising.

I say we declare San Diego as Tea Party Sanctuary City. The best of everything.

14. Pasadena Phil on October 10th, 2011 10:11 pm

BTW. my motto these days is "Survival by doing the right thing". I put all of my faith in doing what is right rather than worrying about maximizing my income. There are bad months but they are usually made up by the good ones. It amounts to doing the right thing at the right time but the income seems to even out. And when I get referrals, they are usually good ones. There is nothing more thrilling than when a big fish jumps into the boat and you weren't even fishing! I believe in karma.

15. SignPainterGuy on October 10th, 2011 10:40 pm

Just be careful that your karma doesn`t run over your dogma ! Aaaah ha ha ha haaaa !

Sorry, couldn`t resist ! Hanging curve ball !

16. Pasadena Phil on October 10th, 2011 11:17 pm

That's why I never made it as a pitcher; I even threw hanging fastballs.

17. Pasadena Phil on October 10th, 2011 11:31 pm

I hate to break this to you Doug but the Lions just took a 7-0 lead in the 2nd quarter. I guess we'll finally get to see if they can play well when they aren't trailing by 20 points in the first half.

18. Doug on October 11th, 2011 12:16 am

But in the final two minutes of the half they fell behind, so thankfully I'm back into the comfort zone I'm most familiar with heading into the second half!

19. Hyperfobea on October 11th, 2011 9:31 am

Maybe in order to be patronized they (B & J) must in turn be patronizing.

)Not that it has anything to do with the flavor of this article, but I've never found Ben & Jerry very palatable.)

20. Granny55 on October 11th, 2011 10:09 am

Do you suppose B&J is on the list of "millionairs" that the moonbats are going to protest at today. They are actually going to residential areas now. That should work out really well.

21. Marshall_Will on October 11th, 2011 11:17 am

Phil,

You could say I'm a Bear at heart and was deathly concerned even in the very early going of the housing bubble. I was a regular contributor at several of the more respected Housing blogs going back to 2003.

They say… the ones that get hurt the worst in a car accident are the ones that see it coming. I sold my home, rented, stopped taking on new clients and put existing ones in gold, commodities and CASH.

In short, I did all the right things. The fact things still turned out *disastrous* doesn't mean I was 'wrong' to handle this inevitable debacle the way I did.

22. Marshall_Will on October 11th, 2011 11:22 am

Part II,

My neighbor ( my NEIGHBOR! ) went all in! Worked for now defunct Hollywood Video and bought the most expensive home the bank would lend on. Took 'equity' out and bought up several more lots in our upscale community.

Suffice to say he's now divorced, working at the Walmart Dist. Center in Godknowswhere Nebraska and was completely wiped out. Guys like him CAUSED the whole damned mess ( and ushered in the economic backdrop that ALLOWED for Teh Wun to get elected ) but we're -both- living w/ the SAME nightmarish 'economy'?

23. Pasadena Phil on October 11th, 2011 12:09 pm

I can short my managed accounts so none of my clients have been hurt…. so far. But I never feel like I have figured it out. I've dodged three major bullets since 1992 and each time I felt like I got lucky.

If I went to gold and cash, I'd be out of business. I need to generate income for most of my accounts and "draw downs" of stock or gold appreciation doesn't cut it. I'm very good at generating income even without bonds.

And I can tell you many horror stories too. Most of them are people my age who now understand why their silly parents and grandparents, my "millionaire next door" clients, were such sticklers about staying out of debt and living within their means. My generation was supposedly the "moral" generation instead we destroyed this country with our neediness and irresponsibility.

I too sold my home in 1996 and paid off all of my debt and have rented since. I lost most of my 401k after I went independent because of all the restricted company stock and stock options I had to watch tank to $1. I've lost over $1 million in retirement savings from companies I've worked for that went under. Sometimes even when you do everything right, life still finds you.

24. Marshall_Will on October 11th, 2011 12:50 pm

Phil,

With as much as the mkt has "mispriced risk" I haven't touched a bond in years? Pretty much replaced those w/ Master Limited Partnerships etc. ( btw for those even reading: Standard Disclaimer! This should not be construed as an offer to purchase securities blah, blah )

Yeah, during the dot.com implosion my boiler room boss didn't think it was 'right' to go to cash in our 401k's and if that's the way we FELT about it.., then why don't you just QUIT right now!? I'm sure HE went to cash.

Being in a small market ( and what of Oregon isn't? ) the real potential for disaster was blowing clients up! This isn't L.A and you can't always "just go out and find more clients!" The number of people w/ over say, $250k liquid here is very def. 'finite'.

25. Pasadena Phil on October 11th, 2011 1:02 pm

Ditto on the MLPs. I liken buying 10-year treasuries yielding under 2% to stooping to pick up nickels in front of a moving steam roller. But finding business in LA is not much easier than in OR. There are a lot more brokers out here too and many of them are very connected to wealth and fame. I'm not.

26. Marshall_Will on October 11th, 2011 1:47 pm

Didn't mean to imply it was 'easier' but simply that there ARE clients of means down there, or any major metro.

I watched from my office window as our local Ed Jones guy *imploded*. Also a Linsco PL rep. Cookie cutter approaches to complex problems. The LPL guy threw in the towel and left his CFP daughter holding the bag.

I just couldn't DO that to my kids and I REFUSE to do that to clients. I'm guessing he had a breakdown. The kid was bleeding AUM left and right so he made an UN-auth trade to 'anchor' one of my clients accts.

I don't believe the daughter is holding up much better. The Jones guy's clients won't return his calls. I've no idea who he talks w/ all day?

27. SignPainterGuy on October 11th, 2011 3:06 pm

A Townhall cartoon shows the brain of an "Occupier". At the front is a tiny lobe labeled "Common Sense"; the rest of the brain is labeled "Ideology, Angst, Rage-The Other 99%". Accurate !

28. Managed IT Services on July 10th, 2015 8:55 pm