The Detroit Tigers lost another 11 inning game last night to go down 3-1 in the ALCS.

A reader named Pat from Texas just emailed this to rub it in:

I could be really childish by responding, “Oh yeah, look at Detroit vs. Dallas in the NFL standings!” But I won’t because that would be immature.

Update: The Tigers live to see another day!

Comments

15 Responses to “Rangers Fan Rubs It In”

1. Marshall_Will on October 13th, 2011 1:24 pm

Pat,

Nice house you got there. Be a shame if something were to.., ya' know 'happen' to it?

Kidding! All White Sox fans by default cheer the Tigers in our post-season absence. Which is a lot. Most of us still consider the Rangers an 'expansion' team?

2. Granny55 on October 13th, 2011 1:35 pm

It's just a shame that the Tigers had such a great season with good, solid pitching and it seems to falling apart when it counts the most.

3. backwoods on October 13th, 2011 2:04 pm

Unfortunately, the late-season collapse of my beloved Braves left me with no dog in the postseason fight.

College football, on the other hand, has me very excited. The Clemson Tigers are 6-0 and became the first team in ACC history to beat ranked teams three weeks in a row. The teams were Auburn, Florida State, and Virginia Tech.

4. Pasadena Phil on October 13th, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey, my Red Sox were down 3-0 to the Yankees a few years ago (2004?) and didn't lose another game the rest of the playoffs. But that was the old Bobby Valentine, Theo Epstein Red Sox.

5. Royapple4 on October 13th, 2011 3:02 pm

Why not? Isn't Texas still considered just another expansion state by the Left Coast and north east liberals? We'll take that designation and run with it. See ya in the World Series!

6. Marshall_Will on October 13th, 2011 3:06 pm

Good point. I recall actually BEING at the Seattle Mariners game that started what looked like Just Another Epic Fail for the White Sox before they went on to win the '05 Series.

That was mid-August. They'd led the Div. from Opening Day and had a comfortable lead. Perhaps 'too'' comfortable we thought? If you have to go thru the 'Yips' mid-August is the time to work them out.

Still, I like Pat's sign. Taxpayer-funded, grandchildren OWED 'bailouts' should be as team, group, industry, region specific as possible. It's the only fair way!

7. Ken in Texas on October 13th, 2011 3:21 pm

Geez, Pat! Gotta love that Texas arrogance! Reminds me of when I learned that you should never ask a new acquaintance if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you right away and if he isn't, why embarrass him?

8. Marshall_Will on October 13th, 2011 3:46 pm

Roy,

Good one! I was just bringing to light that by Chicago sports standards ( you'll be lucky to see [a] championship in 'your' generation's lifetime! ) Cubs fans are still in the back of the bus?

But I like where you're taking this. Post 9/11 there was a well founded sentiment to de-centralize wealth, defense and information. It was a golden opportunity to move data storage and even stock exchanges to St. Louis, San Antonio, even Spokane.

Then elitists decided.., nah! Screw it. Leave everything right where it is! And… we see how well 'that' worked out?

9. Pasadena Phil on October 13th, 2011 3:47 pm

I took the immature route a couple of weeks ago by rubbing Doug's nose in the news that his Lions were losing 20-0 in the first half. Bad karma. Lions rallied to win and my Patriots (who were ahead) lost to the Bills. I won't make that mistake again.

10. Pasadena Phil on October 13th, 2011 4:03 pm

I was hoping Tonopah would become the new financial capital of the world.

11. SignPainterGuy on October 13th, 2011 4:06 pm

Oh yeah, "sure" you were ! ;-)

12. SignPainterGuy on October 13th, 2011 4:09 pm

Great coolness of beans ! ;-)

13. SignPainterGuy on October 13th, 2011 4:15 pm

Live and learn ……

Why did the chicken cross the road ? To prove to the `possum that it CAN be done ! ;-)

14. SignPainterGuy on October 13th, 2011 4:19 pm

Something strange does happen at playoff, tournament time. I only played one year of baseball; didn`t fit in with the clicques to get out of outfield. We lost every reg. season game, but won the championship big time ! Odd that ! Good times !

15. Marshall_Will on October 13th, 2011 4:43 pm

There's no perfectly good logistic reason it couldn't? All Exchanges are now electronic/virtual and the "traders on the floor" are nothing more than stage props!

BUT… then all the flash-traders would have to pack up and move. I know.., bummer.

Before I left the Bank of New York just months prior to 9/11 they moved their client acct. data to Mil. WI. Cheaper office space, cheaper employees, cheaper overhead across the board!

Oh and it didn't wind up at the bottom of a pile of rubble. DEFENSE in particular! What sez hit us where we've got all our eggs in one basket quite like the Pentagon?