Many of you know my views on Mitt Romney. He lost me back in 1994 when he tried to out-Kennedy Ted Kennedy. Then came the flip-flopping, Romneycare, a swig of global warming Kool Aid, etc.

That said, my issues with Romney do not trump my understanding that Barack Obama must be voted out next November, and it’s nice to see some fellow conservatives have also come to that realization:

Most self-affiliated members of Tea Party Nation, one of the largest national organizations for the grassroots conservative movement, would vote for Mitt Romney as president if confronted with a choice between him or President Obama, according to a poll of members released to The Hill on Friday.

The group surveyed its members this week in an informal poll posted at the group’s website. The question asked was: If Romney is the GOP nominee, what will you do in the general election?

Fifty-two percent of about 1,150 respondents said they would “hold their nose” and vote for Romney if he becomes the GOP nominee, while 23 percent said they would vote for an unspecified third-party candidate. Twelve percent said they would not vote in the presidential election at all if the choice is between Romney and Obama.

I’m willing to bet that by the time the election rolls around, a sizable chunk of those 23 percent who say they’d go third party would also reconsider.

There’s still plenty of time. I know the media already has Romney down as the default nominee, but I’m not convinced yet. I really don’t want to “plug my nose” when I vote yet again… but I will if it means making Barack Obama move back to Chicago.

Comments

14 Responses to “Poll: Over Half of Tea Partiers Say They’ll Vote for Romney if He’s the Nominee”

1. Marshall_Will on October 21st, 2011 6:37 pm

Well 'I' thought Michele with (1) L was swell but….

Here's the deal: WhomEVER it is that takes the nomination must first set up an Office of Transition/REPEAL ASAP. I'm not kidding here. Start telling the base R stands for Repeal! And I'm not just talking O'Drama Care. Everything. Period.

All the disastrous/ridiculous/prog wet dream events since 2008 Just.Didn't.Happen. You're not trying to 'salvage' ANYTHING from Teh d'UNCE's reign of stoopidity.

It's called an "assumed close". Why not, it's exactly what P'BO did? Only he can't begin to pull that off again. Kinda' burnt that ace didn't ya' sport. I hear he's pulling out all the K-9 Troops by the end of the year. You didn't think he was talking about 'people' troops did you?

2. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2011 6:54 pm

Coincidentally, I got an "URGENT DELIVERY" letter today from the NRSC that looks for the world like UPS`s ! Yep, as expected, it`s nothing but a plea for money very thinly veiled as a "survey" with all the right "conservative" questions. There`s one noticeable difference; no blank space for "additional comments". Hmmmmm, could they be un-interested about my opinion ?

Well, I`ll answer the Qs and include my own sheet of paper covered in writing that I promise, they don`t seem to want to hear ! Oh, and NOT ONE RED CENT !

3. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2011 7:01 pm

I participated in a phone poll a few months ago that seemed to be lefty originated by the placement of all the left`s candidates first. Half way in, the survey was taylored to my pol. leaning, and even then, they had Romney as the front runner. I did say I`d vote for him IF he was the candidate. No "PRESS 7 for – Will Be Holding My Nose" though ! Danggit !

My suspicions were proven right when at the end they said it was "Public Policy Polling" – NC based, very left leaning, used for WH inside polling.

4. Marshall_Will on October 21st, 2011 7:16 pm

Good for you! Did you remember to "MM it"? ( Line thru zero upper left to lower right ) I'll be very curious and hope Phil weighs in on this. For my part, rather than focus on the nose-holding, I'm all about tactics.

The Tea Party needs to get back to its core. No more dumping all… the trad. GOP/Conserv. baggage on us! Less gubmint, personal accountability, more FREEDOM! Please don't try and hitch anything else to our bandwagon.

Dead weight is what we're trying to get RID of. Can you help us get RID of the EPA? Great! Are you willing to CUT the Dept. of Ed's nay-nay's off? Great! Will you help us STOP the Prog Agenda dead in its tracks..? No?

See ya'!

5. clu on October 21st, 2011 7:25 pm

This could be the presidential election when the president is swept into office on the coattails of the vice president and the large block of Tea Party congress members. The president will still have to get his conservative legislation through congress.

6. SignPainterGuy on October 21st, 2011 8:35 pm

Gonna add those points along with lots of reasons how Romney isn`t conservative and that we insist on CONSERVATIVE candidates with CONSERVATIVE principles , n stuff ! Breaking out my red Sharpie now !

Ain`t gonna mention that IF Romney winds up being our candidate, I`ll hold my nose and vote for him. I`d love for the RNC to believe I`d vote 3rd party if Romney gets in, but I ain`t lyin` to nobody for no reason and I don`t think the controlling Rockefeller wing of the RNC is afraid of that anyway. Sorry P.Phil !

7. Pasadena Phil on October 21st, 2011 8:37 pm

I guess it all depends how they determined how to poll us. While I am publicly registered as a member of the Pasadena Tea Party Patriots, lots of people claim to be Tea Party only because they kinda sorta confuse us as being Republicans and so would claim that they too are Tea Party. If they claim that they would hold their noses to vote for a candidate who would defend NONE of the Tea Party principles and blatantly distances himself from us, they are NOT Tea Party.

If the GOP insists again in ordering us to vote against someone instead of for someone, I will continue to do what I have been doing: voting for the best conservative on the BALLOT, not the one who claims to be the least liberal.but "electable" of the two contending wings of the Democratic Party.

It won't matter who wins next year if they fall far short of winning a mandate.

8. Marshall_Will on October 22nd, 2011 4:10 pm

Phil,

Points taken. Before going any further, and someone has to say this, for all HER support, Michelle's Place is by NO means a Tea Party Friendly Zone. The slightest of missteps, misphrasings or mis-anything and you're not only fighting off die-hard Prog trolls, you'll have RINO's form a circle for good old fashioned gang "jumping in". Often times, you can FORGET a free exchange of ideas. It's "Accuracy by Volume" I'm afraid. Multiple and -redundant- posts carry the day I'm afraid.

There. I said it.

I belong to and SUPPORT several chapters of the OR Tea Party. It's kinda' like that here in Oregon. If your daughters don't go OUT for baseball.., we won't HAVE 9 players! So, absolutely GD right. Never get out of the boat! ( Unless you're going all the way )

Soft polls from potential/likely voters that on odd numbered days 'lean' toward TP principles will fail to impress us. If you REALLY want poll us, show up at a freaking EVENT. Oh, but they won't 'do' that..?

9. SignPainterGuy on October 22nd, 2011 4:48 pm

Often, poll numbers look just too fantastic / made up. You have to wonder, who did they poll, union members on the way out of a meeting ?

Reminds me of the "official" definition of the length measurement "rod"; the left feet of the first 16 men out of church on Sunday. You can count on them wanting outta there in a hurry (heel to toe) / unions are gonna give you precisely the "right" opinion !

10. Marshall_Will on October 22nd, 2011 5:17 pm

SPG,

As in; If I WANT your 'opinion' ( I'll BEAT it out of you! )

For me, and I guess as a Conservative you're on eggshells anyway, but attending a Tea Party event has some of the same qualities of going to church.

We're humans. We forget! Who couldn't use a little brushing up on the lessons of the Old Testament? "I" sure could! We can't attend 'all' of the events, we try to schedule them around a BUSINESS Owner's hours as much as possible. Life happens.

But look at the way PROGS work/screw over the system/taxpayer for support? You've got TEACHERS for chrissakes using SCHOOL time to print up flyers, mass-cast spam emails ( set up hate-sites ) and even attend PROTESTS! Along w/ their 'students' ( read brainwashed masses/Prog-indoctrinees/dealers/crushes )

11. Pasadena Phil on October 22nd, 2011 6:00 pm

You might have noticed that I have had my own personal attack trolls for years at Michelle's Place. Michelle kicked a couple of them off last year when they went over the top but most are still there including a couple of new ones who are particularly puerile, vulgar and obnoxious. I mostly ignore them.

I believe most of Michelle's readers are very Tea Party friendly but not the commenters who seem to be mostly nose holding Republicans (who don't seem to read her posts very carefully) like to engage in cross-chatter as if it was Facebook. It is utterly impossible to engage is honest debate. It just doesn't matter what I say, by the end of the thread I am being attacked for being from CA or being a Catholic or being a liar or Obama-lover. Anything to derail intelligent discussion.

12. Marshall_Will on October 22nd, 2011 6:49 pm

Phil,

Often it's just more frustration to your day. I'll stick to my guns and say most if not ALL of the trolls are Gubmint 'employees' that spend large swaths of their time UN-supervised. As in the Navy, on the internet, you can BE who you'd LIKE to be! Just like all the guys on E-Harmony that are 6' w/ "athletic" builds and a full head of hair?

When confronted, they'll feign at self-employment ( but don't know what a 1099 is? ) let alone Sched. C. Which any gal that runs a beauty shop out of her BASEMENT is well familiar with.

You're right, before you can get to that all important "troubleshooting" aspect, there has to be -intelligent- discussion. But they'll brush aside really, really important posts to play whack-a-troll just for kicks. Which is PRECISELY WHY trolls take up residence. And never leave unless they're finally banned! Also notice, for all their 'passion' for the Prog Agenda, they take weekends off! No Audience, No Trolls. They prefer the prime blogging hours. Attention Whores on OUR tax $'s.

13. Pasadena Phil on October 22nd, 2011 11:16 pm

The trolls don't really bother me. The noseholder get out of control but like you said, usually late in the day after the thread has already stalled. The progs never attack me. Besides, it's like I've stated several times (do a search on "Pasadena Phil's Commentor Manifesto" for the full lowdown), I comment for the benefit of the blogger and I never comment at blogs I don't support. My past experience as a little-visited blogger myself sensitized me to what it feels like when commenters trash your blog and/or comment without reading what you might have spent a lot of time carefully putting together.

I always ask myself why Michelle (or anyone else) even allows comments.

Update: I tried to find the manifesto but it doesn't come up anymore. I used to be able to google it and search for it at Michelle's. Damn DHS!

14. Hyperfobea on October 24th, 2011 9:31 am

The poll is as suspect as Romneycare. The libs and their tool, the media, love Mitt, and they want him. He's *their* man, because Obama is going down and they know it, and it's better that he go down to another liberal than to a conservative. If the choice comes down to Obama and Romney, there is no difference, folks. Sorry. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. And yes, I will be staying home with a very clear conscience while bracing myself for another 4 year reaming.