Watch this web ad for Herman Cain featuring his Chief of Staff Mark Block and you can almost hear Michael Bloomberg’s sphincter slamming shut at the end of it:

*****

After reading this I think it makes more sense:

The New York Times reported Saturday that as president of the the National Restaurant Association, Cain allied himself with cigarette makers that were fighting restaurant smoking bans.

Prior to joining the Cain campaign, Block served as Wisconsin state director for the Americans for Prosperity Foundation, a group that has advocated against state smoking bans.

Knowing that background, the ad seems to be more of a thumb in the eye of nanny-state promoting over-regulators rather than an attempt to win the votes of the smoker demographic. But Block insists there was no subliminal message intended.

Comments

17 Responses to “Cain’s Chief of Staff Stars in Smokin’ New Campaign Ad”

1. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 5:16 pm

Good for him! Loved Megyn's description; "dizzified".

The latest Prog-response is pretty predictable. We now have the Ghost of Jimmy Hoffa telling us Herman's 999 "is frankly laughable" and Morning Joe calling Mark's ( God forbid ) smoking in an ad "More SNL than anything?"

Which would've went over better if anyone still watched SNL. I just love this. It's perfect. Yeah, I'm smoking. I'm an ADULT, what OF it? Goes hand in hand w/ my SCREW Recycling Campaign. See, I said this was catching on.

2. joyannaadams on October 25th, 2011 5:29 pm

He should have taken a bite out of a hostess Twinkie too.

3. Joe Redfield on October 25th, 2011 5:35 pm

At the next debate Herman ought to light up on stage and blow a few smoke rings at Mittsy.

4. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 6:00 pm

Nice touch Joyanna! Ball Park's anyone? Here, let me help you w/ that keg o' Bud.

That's what his campaign really needs to be about. Enough. Enough w/ the lot of them already. As a follow on, and I think this is huge, "Imagine an America where you can be YOURSELF again!"

Be yourself without worrying if you're going to get your @$$ kicked for lighting up. Be yourself without worrying you'll be ridden for driving an SUV. Just be yourself. Wow, how long has it BEEN America?

5. harleyrider1978 on October 25th, 2011 7:40 pm

Cains warning the second hand smoke MYTHOLOGISTS that times up and your nazi smoking bans are done!

Scientific Evidence Shows Secondhand Smoke Is No Danger

Written By: Jerome Arnett, Jr., M.D.
    Published In: Environment & Climate News
    Publication Date: July 1, 2008
    Publisher:
    .org/policybot/resul
    ts/23399/Scientific_
    Evidence_Sho…

myth-of-second-hand-
    smoke

ders.com/2009/01/the
    -myth-of-second-hand
    -smoke

BS Alert: The 'third-hand smoke' hoax

The thirdhand smoke scam

6. Truesoldier on October 25th, 2011 7:52 pm

One of the things I love about the commercial spot is how it has the left in an uproar trying to find some hiden meaning or subliminal message in the spot. It is so much fun to watch the left get dizzy while their heads explode.

7. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2011 8:33 pm

With Cain leading in the polls, he being black and NOT a dimocrat, advocating freedom from nanny statism, the Cain Derangement Syndrome can`t be far behind ! The left will attack him as expected, but the Rockefeller Wing of the Republican Party will too; he just doesn`t fit into any of their "round holes".

This "looking for Subliminal Messages" reminds me of my ex.; always looking for "what I really meant", splitting syllables so she could "read between the lines" ! No, idiot, just because you say "other than what you mean" doesn`t mean I do !

8. Pasadena Phil on October 25th, 2011 8:40 pm

After today's report that FLOTUS is spitting mad at Paula Deen for her comments about how FLOTUS never stopped eating on her set, even between takes, I say Cain should get her endorsement and work her into his ads.

9. harleyrider1978 on October 25th, 2011 10:49 pm

When asked to defend the video all one has to do is lite up another TORCH of FREEDOM!

10. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2011 11:08 pm

Please surprise me and tell me Paula Deen is a republican, or at least conservative. I haven`t heard.

An endorsement from Paula would push FLOTUS right on over the edge; no ash tray in the WH would be safe ! ;-)

Herm could be shown in an ad including Deen and him eating one of her famous fattening desserts or something fried in Paula`s favorite food -BUTTER !

11. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2011 11:11 pm

Hmmm, much better than "coffin nail" !

12. Pasadena Phil on October 25th, 2011 11:18 pm

I actually met her last year. I had never even heard of her before she was selected Marshall for last year's Rose Parade. I was the co-captain for the big celebrity-studded kickoff luncheon responsible for scripting and supervising the event (Pasadena is a very busy and complicated place on New Year's Day). She was a featured speaker who entertained about 40 of her family and friends backstage. She was exactly the same person on and off the stage, whether entertaining the public or partying with her family and friends. I am very sure that what you see on TV is the real Paula Deen. She is a larger-than-life personality who loves entertaining people. She just lays it all out there. What you see is what you get.

I have no idea what her politics are and I have a feeling she doesn't really care about politics. But I can see why she is so popular. She would be a big boost to Cain if she endorsed him.

13. SignPainterGuy on October 26th, 2011 12:13 am

Your repertoire incl. some rather interesting events. Good for you.

Deen`s consistently stable personality is indicative of an individual who`s comfortable in her own skin, not fearful of outcomes or new meetings and such. I know that much of her life was a struggle; her success has made her a fun person, not a snooty, self-absorbed jerk. Sounds rather "Non-Lib" to me !

14. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2011 12:22 am

harley,

I can dig it. In fact, w/ the Prog-movement faltering even in Amsterdam West ( Portland Oregon ) the whole Tobacco Debate has surfaced anew! Any time they're getting their tail kicked, they bait & switch over to "the evil weed".

How can you say it's a "personal choice" when it's so clearly a burden on ALL of us!? It really was the basis for nearly every facet of the -practical- application of the Agenda. Alinsky tactics in their truest form. It was such an easy stretch.

With the fairly recent failure of Prohibition, smoking became the natural target. I'm SO pleased now when I see people lighting up within a foot of the bar's door, IN the doorway of just off the backdeck in the beer garden etc. SCREW 'em. Being in a band, I appreciate not having to breath it, but I've always challenged Eddie Rabbit's claim he DIED of second hand smoke.

15. Pasadena Phil on October 26th, 2011 1:08 am

I've seen her interviewed and what came across to me was that she is as surprised at her own success as anyone and feels very, very lucky and doesn't want to waste it. The person I met was someone who just jumps into life trying to enjoy every moment and making sure everyone else is enjoying it too. It's really something standing behind someone who is addressing an adoring crowd. If FLOTUS now hates her, she is probably the only person on earth who does and it tells you a lot about what kind of ego she has. Very thin-skinned.

16. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2011 1:23 am

Too awesome. Sounds like so much Greek Mythology. Was that the Evil Loki that crafted the one weed so insignificant it would never harm Achilles?

Paula, WATCH yourself! No seriously, I'd love to meet her. Glad you guys had a good time. Besides it's New Years for crying out loud! People are supposed to have fun.

Btw great to see even the supermarket tabloids turning on FLO/TOTUS.

17. Hyperfobea on October 26th, 2011 8:08 am

Cain better nab the GOP ticket (so long as he doesn't pick Romney as his running mate … gag, choke, retch). Perry is still suspect.