As you read this try and keep in mind that this is a guy who was honored by having a Navy ship named after him.

Last week’s release of FBI documents finally put in writing what nobody had ever said on the record: The FBI suspected that former Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.) and lobbyists close to him were running a scheme to funnel earmarks to sham companies and nonprofits to benefit the lawmaker’s friends and former staffers.

Bits and pieces of this story were kicked around for years before Murtha died in February 2010. The Los Angeles Times, Roll Call, the Washington Post and others had documented the odd appearance of earmarks for tiny defense contractors that just happened to open an office in western Pennsylvania and just happened to hire one of the lobbying firms close to Murtha and just happened to begin making campaign donations to Murtha and other Members of Congress close to him.Reporters could do little but assemble the coincidences and couldn’t prove there was anything wrong with the bigger picture.

But it turns out the FBI was reading the stories and was very interested — interested enough that the Justice Department had opened a criminal investigation into Murtha and some of the lobbyists in his orbit, a fact that never leaked while Murtha was alive.

In part, the probe never leaked precisely because he was alive.

Let’s just say that Murtha’s post Marine Corps service was less than exemplary — Abscam, endless wastes of money ($150 million for a 20 passenger-a-day airport being one of the less expensive pork projects done in his name), Haditha and now this.

Time to change the name of that ship.

Comments

24 Responses to “The John Murtha Legacy Just Keeps Getting Better”

1. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 11:01 am

Sailors are superstitious by nature. This is not a good omen. Isn't there a garbage scow or oil tender they could name after him? These LPD's are quickly becoming the backbone of the Fleet, second only to aircraft carriers.

No doubt her crew would go on to perform courageously, honorably and with distinction. Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

2. Hyperfobea on October 25th, 2011 11:20 am

Rush is right … the Left-wingers are infamous for their elaborate money-laundering schemes. Now beg the question: why aren't they prosecuted? Even that animal Al Capone was finally put in a cage. This isn't about politics. It's about right and wrong. Good vs. evil. Tolerance is the virtue of people who don't believe in anything.

3. Doug on October 25th, 2011 11:24 am

Yeah, Murtha might be gone, but others he was involved with aren't. Why no perp walks with these people?

The story makes it sound as if the FBI/DoJ were afraid to do anything about it. Kinda makes you wonder just how many Murthas there are in Congress.

4. Pasadena Phil on October 25th, 2011 11:47 am

Murtha was also a "flat earth" pioneer long before Thomas Friedman won a Nobel Peace Prize for coining that term. Just as China was learning about the genius of getting "wealthy" by building empty cities, Murtha was already wealthy building an airport that no one uses and other memorials that will never wear out.

Never a slave to fashion, Murtha always could see the future and the future was ka-ching!!!

5. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 11:47 am

Doug,

Part of me says, WTH let 'em go ahead w/ the christening ceremony. Let it serve as a living memorial as to why as MM often shares "Entrenched incumbancy is NOT a case for entrenched incumbancy!"

Next up, a Light Cruiser for Patty Murray, The U.S.S FICA.

6. Hyperfobea on October 25th, 2011 11:51 am

I like your site Doug. The humor and sarcasm is much appreciated. And though I certainly appreciate MM, I had to wean myself off her site. She is a brilliant, formidable journalist, but digs far too deep for my tastes, exposing the pit of hell one too many times. I know very well what it looks like. No reminders needed. It's the face beneath the liberal facade.

7. Pasadena Phil on October 25th, 2011 12:04 pm

Michelle operates on the principle that sunshine is the best disinfectant. What annoys people about her (not me, I love it) is that she is not shy to bare the truth about everyone. This annoys the noseholding Republicans who comment wish she would focus exclusively on corrupt Democrats.

Republican voters are every bit as stubborn and obtuse as blacks and Jews who vote Democrat no matter what. Truth and reason are relative to such people. It is self-defeating. You can't lie, cheat and steal your way to virtue. If we keep voting for crooks, we will keep getting corrupt government.

We are rapidly running out of time to find an option to LOTE. We keep getting entrenched corrupt one-party government because we keep voting for it. Michelle does us a great service by pointing out how bad "our" side is too,

8. Doug on October 25th, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I like to think of Michelle M as a sort of coroner for government, throwing the body-politic on the table and slicing it open. Some can handle it, some get offended at the sight of it, and some barf and never want to look again. I just sit back and make wise-cracks about how bad the smell is and how the colon sort of looks like Henry Waxman.

9. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 12:16 pm

Some days I have the stomach for the pit of hell, others..? This has gone WAY beyond my preferences on any given day. You HAVE to look at it. And, get involved!

Not just endless 'posts' either. Like I say Tea Partiers, let those gutters and rose bushes go! Who cares!? Reclaim the country, THEN go back to tending your garden.

I've been an MM fan since long before there was an internet. Only recently I was given posting priv's. After many, many requests. Anyway, the important thing is to put the information she shares to practical use! Being some recluse who's only form of interaction IS posting won't be what saves this country. IMHO.

10. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 12:29 pm

"I like to think of Michelle M as a sort of coroner for government"

Now that you mention it? That or forensic auditing. Either way, they've already expired but the bloody LOT of us get blamed for "only making things worse!"

Dude, we're just trying to determine Cause Of Death! That aside, there's conversations you can HAVE here that simply will never materialize at M's. Through no fault of her own.

11. Pasadena Phil on October 25th, 2011 12:33 pm

My Tea Party activism tends to focus on attending protests. Most Tea Partiers out here are mostly about fighting for Republicans who have no chance of getting elected because the focus always seems to be on winning the support of the Republican State committee which are the people who always stomp on the conservative candidate in favor of a Fiorina (over Chuck Devore) or Whitman (no one even tried) or Schwarzeneggar (Tom McClintock). I really don't know how to be effective out here and I am not going to waste my time campaigning for yet another generic ambitious non-name Republican offering himself/herself up to the Tea Party and sleep-walking through his campaign and losing 70% -30%.

I am involved, however, in a project that could amount to something. The Pasadena TP is behind a TV series that I have posted about ("Courage, NH) about colonial America leading up to the Revolution. I was an extra in the first two episodes. The second episode premieres Sunday. The cast is made up of local Tea Party activists including Andrew Brietbart and other notable conservatives. It is a professional production with excellent production values and professional actors that could get picked up soon by a cable channel.

I really don't know what else to do. I'm not going out there shooting people.

BTW, I'm more effective talking to liberals face-to-face than to Republicans who are just stuck on stupid. Hyperpartisan politics is the biggest obstacle we face and that applies to everyone. Once you start pointing out that we share the same interests and want the same things, the political barriers start melting away. Truth wins over blind dogma.

12. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 12:46 pm

Phil,

Too cool! Did you get to meet Andrew? Can't wait to see that. Post a link etc.

Yeah, I worked on Scott ( The Titanic ) Bruun's campaign here in Oregon and it was crushing. He was basically leading in the polls only to get nosed out yet again by our Dim Kurt Schrader.

Like the lot of them, they morphed into just enough of a 'conservative' to be disassociated w/ Teh Wun. But.We.Came/So.Close! And that has to be encouraging. I'm working to help Rob Cornilles take David ( Tigger ) Wu's abandoned seat.

A little plug from Andrew, yourself, Doug or MM wouldn't hurt!

13. Pasadena Phil on October 25th, 2011 1:03 pm

I didn't get to meet Andrew since his scene (hanging scene) was on a Monday. I was asked to show but the markets were too rocky to be out on that day. Don't get the idea that I am an actor or important to this project either. This is just a fun project that I feel strongly about and I'll do whatever I am asked to do.

Here is a link with some clips and the project's blog.

If you're in the area while a shoot is going on, you could probably be included as an extra, especially if your wife and kids are with you. It's a great once in a lifetime family experience.

14. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 1:14 pm

Phil,

One sure fire way to ensure there'll be above avg. mkt. volatility ( is to check what days I'll be in for the Air Guard? ) It's a near perfect contrarian indicator! We're down 'how' much!?

Thanks for the links and I'm sorry you missed AB. Unless they had Filipinas in the Colonies..? I'm sure Mrs. Will could pitch in at the caterer's tent! Good on ya'! Reminding voters The Constitution is more than just "guardrails" will become our daily task!

Andrew kind of looks like he BELONGS in that period anyway?

15. Pasadena Phil on October 25th, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm always looking for a way to rationalize Michelle doing a cameo and the best I can do is argue a very stretched but remotely possibility that Filipinos from the village of Saint Malo Louisiana could find their way up to NH.

Filipinos were in the new world before the English colonies were established but unless we found historic evidence that they found their way to NH, it would look too contrived.

16. Granny55 on October 25th, 2011 1:35 pm

Hyper – MM really does provide an invaluable service by doing the ugly and time consuming digging that, we, as everyday Americans, don't have time to do. I appreciate her hard work in exposing ALL the corruption not just the liberal shennanigans. It gets to me sometimes too, because it so disgusts me what the politicians are doing to the American people. But it also keeps me on my toes, yearning for more knowledge and that leads to common sense choices when I go to the ballot box.

By keeping up with MM and TPTB and other sites, I have convinced my once, very liberal sister, to look at the other side instead of being a sheeple to the Democrat Party. She now is a Herman Cain fan. It took about 6 years of gentle prodding to get her to look at an alternative but I think it is paying off. There is hope out there.

17. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 1:49 pm

Way cool link! Just when you think you know everything? However slender the connection, given the cause, I'm sure she'd be happy to.

I've… long lamented the end of the US/Phils. relationship. Regardless of what the left-leaning media had to say about it, the turth is about 40,000 G.I's a year married local gals. Yours truly among them.

On avg. they brought back (2) hard-working, articulate well mannered [LEGAL] Christian children. Populating and elevating communities wherever they settled. It was a positive influence wherever they went.

However these days, seems we 'prefer' immigration ( such as it is ) be extended to illiterates, criminals and jihadists. Great trade off huh?

18. SignPainterGuy on October 25th, 2011 2:18 pm

Good on ya Granny !

19. Hyperfobea on October 25th, 2011 2:41 pm

Doug, your guest writing for MM is what hooked me on TPTB.

To make myself clearer than mud, MM's reporting should be the standard, not the exception. What many folk fail to grasp is as base as human nature. Politicians are free to call themselves whatever they want—and they do, e.g., whatever appeals to the majority (which could very well be *mob rules*). Talk is cheap. And that is the product politicians are peddling. Sadly, there will always be followers just as there will always be charlatans.

20. Hyperfobea on October 25th, 2011 2:43 pm

Ditto and amen.

21. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 2:50 pm

Granny,

And would it be 'as' ugly and mentally draining if at least a HANDFUL of other 'reporters' were covering some of this bolderdash?

I've been forced to root out corruption in both the military AND at some of the brokerage firms I worked. Yes, "going it alone" is bound to get ugly. One of the things I admire most about Doug and Michelle is how they manage to keep their OWN spirits up!

What choice do we have other than to support each other? The way this has weighed on myself, Mrs. Will and countless millions of hard working Americans is beyond belief. I'm fairly convinced Michelle does Yoga or some discipline we haven't even heard of for stress management, health, rest and appearance!

I tried alcohol in 2009. Bad choice…

22. Marshall_Will on October 25th, 2011 3:17 pm

Hyper,

In fairness, even though I've cut way WAY back since then for fitness reasons ( hard to pass PT w/ a beer gut ) I don't believe I was drinking all that much more?

It's just that, w/ this… utterly despondent state of mind and some very harsh economic realities staring us all down, the drinking I DID do seemed to have an incredibly neg. effect. How else do you explain the better part of TP on Friday night still leaving you w/ a hangover on Wed. afternoon?

The label should in addition to Operating Machinery and being Pregnant say, "Watching your country and Constitution circle the drain 'may' intensify intoxication".

23. Truesoldier on October 25th, 2011 5:59 pm

Doug, that was an uncalled for insult. I mean the colon at least has a viable function in life.

24. Truesoldier on October 25th, 2011 6:03 pm

Speaking of Murtha and his Haditha comments, isnt it funny how the LSM forgot all about that when Obama was out their scolding the GOP candidates over not coming down hard on the two or three people who booed the gay soldiers question? I seem to remember Obama saying something about standing up for the troops instead of trying to score political points.