Unless you’re a loyal Hope & Change™ customer, that headline might prompt you to reply, “I did?”

Yes, you did:

The State Department has bought more than $70,000 worth of books authored by President Obama, sending out copies as Christmas gratuities and stocking “key libraries” around the world with “Dreams from My Father” more than a decade after its release.

The U.S. Embassy in Egypt, for instance, spent $28,636 in August 2009 for copies of Mr. Obama’s best-selling 1995 memoir. Six weeks earlier, the embassy had placed another order for the same book for more than $9,000, federal purchasing records show.

About the same time, halfway around the world, the U.S. Embassy in South Korea had the same idea and spent more than $6,000 for copies of “Dreams from My Father.”

Why is the administration giving Obama’s books as gifts on the taxpayers’ dime? Because they were all out of iPods loaded with his speeches.

I wonder how many copies of FLOTUS’s book we’re going to end up buying.

Comments

16 Responses to “You Bought Barack Obama’s Books”

1. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2011 2:29 pm

"One month later, the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, spent more than $3,800 for hardcover copies of the Indonesian version of Mr. Obama’s “The Audacity of Hope,” records show."

I realize this is Indo but even by black market standards, that's awfully expensive toilet paper. What a joke.

2. Joe Redfield on October 26th, 2011 2:35 pm

Is "authored" the same as "written"? Other than his own word, there is no evidence that El; Presidente has ever written anything longer than a shopping list.

3. Doug on October 26th, 2011 2:36 pm

In other words, you're wondering if Bill Ayers earned commission on these sales?

4. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2011 3:31 pm

So those revenues go towards paying down the Debt right? Oh wait, WE fund the Embassy's budget. At $70k they'd barely cover Meanchelle's weekend. Probably went right into that Bil. he's raising for the big 2012 pResident fo' LIFE push huh?

5. Hyperfobea on October 26th, 2011 4:02 pm

Urrgh. I really hate to sound like the cynic here (nudge nudge wink wink) but brace yourselves for a flurry of eleventh-hour shenannigans orchestrated by Thulsa Obama Doom.

6. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2011 4:36 pm

"The title has been announced for first Lady Michelle Obama’s book about the White House garden. “American Grown: How the White House Kitchen Garden Inspires Families, Schools, and Communities” is scheduled to hit bookshelves April 10, 2012."

Just in time for Impeachment Season! Order yours today!

7. clu on October 26th, 2011 4:59 pm

The regime makes deals with the publishers whereby an unassociated individual takes orders and payments from regime entities for the virtual purchases, splits the payments, in this case $70K, into two payouts. One of $50,000 or more is channeled back (laundered) to the regime or some individual and another payout to for a radical discount to the publisher (maybe even below cost hedged by future guarantees) thereby pilfering the national treasury.

8. Marshall_Will on October 26th, 2011 6:06 pm

Clu,

For those of us not in that circle..? Or English!

Doing the American Taxpayer over a bike rack for such a paltry sum, just doesn't sound like Bammie's style yo'? If he's going to have us hike up the skirt and call us Nancy wouldn't you think at least a mil. be involved?

Must be slipping. OR… oh, gotta' chill w/ the green boondoggles for a bit. This is all I can send for now! Stay coo' and I'll get back atcha'.

9. SignPainterGuy on October 26th, 2011 6:10 pm

Bill Ayers admits writing Dreams of My Father, he is still looking for a way to get the royalties. Too funny !

10. Portia on October 26th, 2011 8:33 pm

So, the corruption stinks to high heaven and I haven't heard one word in one debate about it. I haven't seen any ads either. When are Republicans going to start yelling their bloody heads off about all this graft and cronyism?

The economy stinks; our foreign policy stinks (handing Iraq over to Iran is a VERY high crime); but the essence of the US is also disappearing. As bad as everything else is, we are losing America through arresting children for selling lemonade or bunnies, for saving birds from cats, from prosecuting SEALS for supposedly giving a terrorist a bloody nose, for refusing to answer letters from the Congress, for saying political speech is "dangerous"….outrage after outrage. I could do the commercial…using a fade away of the American Flag to Taps….

11. clu on October 26th, 2011 9:57 pm

Portia,

You must begin differentiating between ‘Republicans’ and ‘conservatives’. It may once have been true that they were indistinguishable but today there is quite a large ideological gap between the two. Many office-holding ‘republicans’ are ideologically closer to Liberals (RINO’s) in many ways, thus the Tea Party’s rise.

12. SignPainterGuy on October 26th, 2011 10:13 pm

Just today, I received yet enough plea for money from the RNC so they can "fight" against the dims` corruption. It seems to me the Rs can`t pick their noses without a wad of cash in hand.

13. clu on October 26th, 2011 11:21 pm

I preach sending any monies to Tea Party individuals on their web sites and not to RNC.

One problem the RNC has with fighting corruption on the left is that in using a bar of soap (or cash) to wash the dirt away requires both hands consequently cleansing the left will also remove some swamp dirt from the right hand resulting in unwanted exposure on the right. That exposure might result in more Tea Party replacements next November. Not good for the RNC.

Very suspect letter.

14. SignPainterGuy on October 27th, 2011 1:47 am

Suspect indeed !

The RNC would be well served by giving Right-Bloggers a regular monthly donation; they`re the blogs we read, not just the MSM sites and newspapers. A whole lot cheaper than spending money on TV ads and would be seen by a better targeted audience.

15. Hyperfobea on October 27th, 2011 8:29 am

Anybody catch the toxic Al not-so-Sharpton last night on the mainstream cable news (he was dishing on Cain)? I was just flicking out of a rare few minutes of boredom when I saw Uncle Al and it quickly dawned on me why I don't watch the boobtube. I want Cain to run for practical reasons, but there is a slightly provocative and somewhat unhinged part of me that wants to hear all the hypocrites on the Left whine about conservatives being racists. Bahahahahahaha.

16. Portia on October 28th, 2011 2:23 pm

Oh, I'm aware of that…except a 3rd party is a sure bet for Obama victory and I keep remembering that the Republicans kept it together on Obamacare and the stimulous. And Darrell Issa is a Republican. I do NOT know where they got that Rance Previous person, but I'm very sure that the party and Fox news and the candidates pay attention to these blogs. If we all start raising blog-hell over it, someone will pick it up and then it will be copied.

Someone also needs to do a simple commercial LISTING all the jobs Obama has eliminated on purpose like off-shore drilling and in the coal industry and energy industry and against Boeing….and why wasn't there a commercial with Obama in front of that bridge saying we needed to rebuild it and then someone pointing out that they COULD rebuild it with the money Obama handed out to his chosen few bundlers, like Solindra.