President Obama has been going around trying to scare people by telling them if he’s not re-elected, a painful era of self-reliance will mercilessly rain down upon them. That’s the pioneer spirit!

The First Lady also got the “scare ‘em with the threat of independence” memo:

“It’s about whether we as a country will honor that fundamental promise that we made generations ago, that when times are hard, we do not abandon our fellow citizens. We don’t let everything fall apart for struggling families. Instead, we say, ‘There but for the grace of God goes my family.’ Instead, we say we’re all in this together and we extend a helping hand. That is why even though there are some trying to stop this bill from moving forward my president — and my husband — he is not going to give up. He is going to keep fighting.”

Making independence synonymous with heartlessness and misery tells me all I need to know about what the Obamas really think about freedom. Who says anybody is going to “abandon their fellow citizens”? It’s precisely because I care about the future of my kids and other “fellow citizens” that I’ll be more motivated than ever to go vote the Obamas back to Chicago where they’ll be free to organize the community and tell people to eat celery while wolfing down cheeseburgers & fries. Obama has thrown enough anvils to a drowning country.

And if the chance at re-election looks bleak, there’s only one thing to do — tell your diminishing ranks of supporters to get physical:

“I mean are you really ready to make this happen? Because this is going to require each of you to grab somebody by the shoulders and make them understand what’s at stake, how their self interest is directly tied to how our country develops. It’s up to each of you to work like you’ve never worked before.”

Grabbing disbelievers by the shoulders would require temporarily removing their hands from our pockets, which isn’t likely.

FLOTUS really needs to retire this line. This is from yesterday in Florida:

“Believe me, Barack knows what it means when a family struggles,” she said. “I hear (it) in my husband’s voice when he returns home after a long day traveling the country, in the Oval Office, and he tells me about the people he’s met. . . . And I hear the passion and determination in his voice. He says, ‘You won’t believe what folks are going through, Michelle.’ That’s what he tells me. He says, ‘It’s not right. We have so much more work to do.’ “

From July 1st:

She said: ‘I see the worry creasing his face. I hear the passion and determination in his voice.

Four months is too long to be repeating the exact same fib. If the President genuinely wanted to reverse the trend he’d stop pushing the same things that have only made the situation worse. Fact is, they want dependence — the more the better. Without dependence, “Vote for us or you’re on your own” would fall on completely deaf ears.

Comments

13 Responses to “FLOTUS & POTUS Show Off His & Hers ‘Re-Elect Us Or You’re On Your Own’ Threats”

1. Hyperfobea on October 28th, 2011 12:21 pm

Giving is only truly charitable and thus virtuous when it is NOT compulsory. Guess the Obamas just don't get it.

2. Marshall_Will on October 28th, 2011 12:30 pm

Imelda Obama said:

”You won’t believe what these folks are going through;’ he told me that last night."

I do -nothing- but give of myself and STILL they resist me!

Speech patterns are hard to break ( look at mine? ) but why does Meanchelle insist on inserting that 'that' in there? Wouldn't everyone else simply say… "he told me last night"? Her adding that… 'suffix' or syntax or whatever tends to deify her husband's words as if they are from some great prophet?

Like He's calling on the wisdom of the ages! Ever get the chance, read Stanley Karnow's "In Our Image", particularly the chapters devoted to Ferdinand Marcos. In the years before he was forced into exile Karnow documented how Marcos began to "call on his inner Shaman" for longevity, guidance, even immortality.

3. Doug on October 28th, 2011 12:53 pm

If she's implying that them running government is the best "charity" they're going to have to do better than having 140 percent overhead costs to convince me.

4. Pasadena Phil on October 28th, 2011 1:04 pm

There is no nobility or virtue in giving away other people's money, especially if you are carving out a big slice for yourself. How about doing something noble instead?

5. Marshall_Will on October 28th, 2011 2:12 pm

Had an older sister like that. She liked the high life too. Always broke.

One year ( right before she and her husband declared bankruptcy ) she ran up a tab on all her plastic to "give everyone a Christmas to remember!" Then promptly defaulted.

Dude, I can't even LOOK at the CD's and bullcrap she 'bought' me. They're still in the shrink wrap. Almost random. Like what, you just grabbed a fistful alphabetically? Being Polish ( and since her passing ) I can't bring myself to toss them out.

6. Portia on October 28th, 2011 2:34 pm

So, throw it back! Wouldn't it be wonderful to be on our own?

7. clu on October 28th, 2011 2:48 pm

“Believe me, Barack knows what it means when a family struggles,”

Believe me; he gets an ear full from me along with my patented menacing scowl when on our bi-monthly vacations our whole family struggles to get there on one taxpayer-financed plane.

8. SignPainterGuy on October 28th, 2011 3:43 pm

Precisely !

For some odd reason, each time I hear FLOTUS and POTUS say "We", I`m hearing "The Democrat-controlled giverment" ! I`m not hearing "We the people" as prefaces our Constitution, but rather in the context of China`s definition of "the people", as in "The Government".

9. SignPainterGuy on October 28th, 2011 3:47 pm

Interesting ! As usual, I might add.

So many, incl. the Oblamers, use "that" when referring to people when the proper word is "who" ! Their disdain for others is so obvious !

10. SignPainterGuy on October 28th, 2011 3:50 pm

Now that there was funny, I don`t care who you are ! NAILED !

11. Marshall_Will on October 28th, 2011 4:21 pm

SPG,

Much of what I know about the Philippines naturally comes from Mrs. Will. She often explained how liberties were curtailed so gradually no one noticed at first. For a country rich in natural resources, they were paying more for sugar and RICE than we paid in the States at the time.

Every commodity was up for export leaving domestic markets scant for even basic necessities. Crashing the economy.., ( sound familiar? ) led to UNREST which in turn had to be "kept down" to "restore law and order"!

Journalists that were critical of the regime were placed under arrest, raped and frequently never heard from again. Jails were used for political prisoners and common ones roamed the streets. Which leads to… wait for it… MORE crackdowns!

I was only there for the tail end of it. In fact Martial Law had just been lifted when I fist arrived in the late 70's. Marcos loyalists to this day insist his "generous" lifting of ML was "what led to his downfall".

12. SignPainterGuy on October 29th, 2011 12:37 am

Well, at least to some degree those loyalists would be right.

That is a haunting tale, too similar to what could be planned here, with just a few tweaks !

13. Barack and Michelle: The “Vote for us or you’re on your own” Strategy « Mayrant&rave on October 30th, 2011 8:36 am

[...] by Doug Powers – 10/28/2011 [...]