Hey, look! We have a black candidate for president with a background that the media actually cares about scrutinizing. That’s of course because he’s conservative — but nonetheless, from here on in, whatever it is that happened, Herman Cain can look forward to getting the Clarence Thomas treatment.

Politico:

During Herman Cain’s tenure as the head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, at least two female employees complained to colleagues and senior association officials about inappropriate behavior by Cain, ultimately leaving their jobs at the trade group, multiple sources confirm to POLITICO.

The women complained of sexually suggestive behavior by Cain that made them angry and uncomfortable, the sources said, and they signed agreements with the restaurant group that gave them financial payouts to leave the association. The agreements also included language that bars the women from talking about their departures.

In a series of comments over the past 10 days, Cain and his campaign repeatedly declined to respond directly about whether he ever faced allegations of sexual harassment at the restaurant association. They have also declined to address questions about specific reporting confirming that there were financial settlements in two cases in which women leveled complaints.

In my 20 years experiencing corporate America at varied levels, I’ve seen two sexual harassment accusations (not directed at me, but I knew the people involved). In one, I didn’t witness the alleged offenses, so I can’t vouch for the veracity of the accusation. But another I was familiar with, and I can safely say that the accusation was complete BS. Nevertheless, the women received a settlement and went away.

I mention this merely as a reminder that an accusation and subsequent payment doesn’t automatically equate to guilt of the charge. Companies often just want these things to “go away,” so they sometimes pay the accuser to do just that, which also unfortunately implies guilt on the part of the accused, which isn’t necessarily the case.

We’ll now await the rest of the MSM that continues to fawn and gush over a married ex-president who used an intern as a cigar humidor to aggressively investigate and critique the morals and sexual ethics of Herman Cain.

Here’s what Real Clear Politics cites as the “most damning part” of Politico’s “not well sourced” report:

There were also descriptions of physical gestures that were not overtly sexual but that made women who experienced or witnessed them uncomfortable and that they regarded as improper in a professional relationship.

Sounds like Cain might have made the same gesture I make every time I hear somebody in the White House say the stimulus created millions of jobs or that the health care law will save people money (cue the “five knuckle shuffle” motion).

Update: Cain confirms he was accused, but says the accusations were false.

Comments

27 Responses to “On the Herman Cain ‘Sexual Harassment’ Story”

1. Pasadena Phil on October 31st, 2011 11:13 am

My first question is: Who released this? The Dems or Karl Rove?

If spurious accusations are fair game, maybe it's time to finally get serious about looking into this about Obama's gay relationships:

2. Marshall_Will on October 31st, 2011 11:56 am

Generally speaking, it's been my experience when it comes to SH, the guys/gals that are actually engaging in it, escalate their behavior and -continue- to get away with it! They're serial predators that go from company to company when or IF the heat ever comes down?

Then there's the 99.9% nothing burgers where happily married guys pay the price specifically BECAUSE they are great guys making them easy targets for quick settlements due to a rude and unwarranted blindsiding!

Fellow employees struggle to identify a TIME, PLACE or OPPORTUNITY for such behavior to have actually manifested itself!? Not in same Dept., different shifts and sometimes in completely seperate buildings! That's when the questionable "emails" surface.

In order to buy into the claim you have to be able to believe said perp really didn't have a function at the company and had completely unsupervised time to stalk the parking garage all day? Nothing burger, it's what the LSM specializes in!

3. Hyperfobea on October 31st, 2011 12:48 pm

It's not a "high tech lynching" just yet, and hopefully Herman will nip it quick before it becomes a rehash of the Clarence-the-uncle-Tom-conservative-Thomas circus.

The problem with so-called sexual harassment is that there is no definition as to what it actually is, most often being left to the alleged victim to describe what made them uncomfortable. Judging just by what I've personally witnessed, 95% of the employment dismissals were completely without merit, e.g., he said, she said; idle banter; overhearing a dirty joke, et al.

4. Truesoldier on October 31st, 2011 1:00 pm

In the 2010 election cycle here in WA ST we had a RINO state rep in my district who was up against a real Conservative (WA ST has the top two primary system, so occassionally you will have the same party affilitation running against each other in the general). The RINO's campaign happened across a lady who worked for the company of the Conservative who claimed that one of the employees had sexually harrassed her. The company had paid her a settlement and she signed an agreement not to speak about it. She turned around and did a radio commercail and a mailer with the RINO's campaign where she urged voters not to elect a man who had an employee working for them that had SH her (yep guilt by association). It didn't work as the Conservative won overwhelmingly and it is my understanding that the company is now going after the lady for violating terms of the settlement. From the sounds of the claim and the settlement it was another deal where it was quicker and easier to pay a settlement than to have the press try to make a hayday about a SH claim against a Conservative owned business in the press.

5. clu on October 31st, 2011 1:00 pm

There was a fly on the window during all the goings on and when asked it refused to deny any of the allegations. Therefore, we have no reason to disbelieve.

6. Granny55 on October 31st, 2011 2:01 pm

Was Anita Hill involved??? The Nags??? Yup, the MSM is having a very hard time with this because we are fighting back against them picking our candidate. It only gets worse from here on out.

7. Marshall_Will on October 31st, 2011 2:13 pm

Truesoldier,

What many will find refreshing is, even in the Military ( test monkey for prog tampering ) the alleged victim needs to exhibit proven harm. The latest course I just took had example after case study where "you're not going to get your boss fired".

Unfortunately a good friend had trumped up allegations brought against him under the old parameters and they were allowed to stick. Most corp's have since re-written their policy manuals to get w/ the freaking times.

We've all had about enough of co-workers attempting "whine their way to the top" and my guess is, under the newer revised parameters what they 'have' on Cain wouldn't make it to Human Resources. But nice TRY on the part of the LSM!

8. Marshall_Will on October 31st, 2011 2:30 pm

Phil,

Good link. I'll make it a point to learn more about that. OT but equally biased LSM 'reporting', other than Bloomberg, no one is talking about former Gov. Corzine's rather pyrotechnic MF Global implosion..?

I steer clear of most derivatives but it's explained as "Making 'bad bets' on European debt". Really! Are their "good bets" on Euro-trash wanna' be socialist-debt? I mean other than it's an Epic Fail? With his track record, he'd have never been extended credit without his connections.

And he'll walk away leaving an awful mess while some rookie broker is going to FRY for accidentally calling someone on the DoNotCall list….

9. Truesoldier on October 31st, 2011 2:38 pm

I was wondering about that. I knew it used to be in the military it didn't matter if the accusations were proven false as the accusation would stay in your personnel record and that was a career ender. Just one more reason I was glad I was combat arms for the majority of the time I was in the military and the rest of it was spent in a unit that had very few women (which I did not have any direct contact with).

10. Truesoldier on October 31st, 2011 2:39 pm

Another question for the LSM….why oh why was it none of our business when Bill Clinton had all the allegations against him? Yes that is a rhetorical question.

11. SignPainterGuy on October 31st, 2011 2:47 pm

DITTO !!

There`s yer "Shovel-Ready Job" !

12. Marshall_Will on October 31st, 2011 2:56 pm

True,

The online tutorial and POC on base have made pretty clear, this is no longer a freaking GAME. If you -have- bona fide allegations and concerns, they'd love to hear them. Otherwise here's all the scenarios we've seen, evaluated and DEBUNKED based on um… the facts!

My sense has always been, there's times on Active Duty where things CAN get boring. You're a long way from home family and the World. IN an effort to bring some levity, just about everything becomes a joke. Some are hysterical others make clear not to give up your day job.

Since a poorly worded effort to get a laugh out of someone isn't an offer of 'sex', sorry, it's going nowhere. And that really IS the defining element here. Besides, in Gov. or the pvt. sector there's enough players out there in the workplace. No one needs to be 'coerced' any more. Time to grow up folks.

13. Pasadena Phil on October 31st, 2011 3:03 pm

Zero Hedge is writing up a storm about this

This is another excellent example for what happens when you thoughtlessly deregulate willy-nilly. There is simply no accountability anymore. The only enforcement is on people like you and me. The big guys, otherwise known as "the club", do whatever they want and collect bonuses for destroying their clients, employees and investors. It's time for people to drop the politics about this and face the truth that unfettered markets is not what capitalism is about. We need RULES that MAKE SENSE and that can be ENFORCED.

Corzine should be strung up in public for his complete disregard for anything but his own wallet. He lied, obfuscated and in the end, threw his own employees and clients down the hole. We still don't know exactly what happened to that supposed "deal" over the weekend but it sure looks like he took his $12 million bonus and bailed. There are so many compliance and disclosure issues, I can't see how Corzine escapes charges of malfeasance.

BTW, once again the only credit rating agency that got it right was Egan-Jones. It's all one big club now that the industry has consolidated into a few "too big to fail" entities. No checks and balances.

14. SignPainterGuy on October 31st, 2011 3:06 pm

While having lunch with a steak house manager, he mentioned that his co. orientation program BEGAN with "How to deal with sexual harassment charges" ! First thing !!

While I can`t dismiss the notion that this comes from "our own side", it sounds and smells of SOP for the dims. Here we have a true black man, Christian, conservative, business man with a plan that will put people back to work "as is" (many people with some tweaking), in many ways "the near-perfect anti-Obama candidate", able to point out the failings of the prog schemes. The left HAS to fight dirty to defeat him.

15. SignPainterGuy on October 31st, 2011 3:06 pm

Granny, git outta my head ! I want to say it first some time ! ;-)

In your defense, you said it better`n I woulda ! :-)

16. swede on October 31st, 2011 3:22 pm

OK, so we have two anonymous women who alledgedly complained about unspecified inappropriate behavior that alledgedly made them "uncomfortable and angry." As opposed to, "There is no relationship with that girl." Depending, of course, on "what your definition of is is."

Like the classic, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" – the Cain questions are a "gotcha's". "Have you ever been accused of sexual harrassment?" Unsubstantiated accusations are meaningless – but the seed of dubious character is planted, and will be watered and well tended in LSM. What. Ever.

17. Truesoldier on October 31st, 2011 3:24 pm

I am really glad to hear that. I can remember some pretty good pratical jokes that were played by me and on me while deployed. Most of them were pretty funny and everyone (including the person being the target of the joke) got a great laugh.

18. Marshall_Will on October 31st, 2011 3:25 pm

Phil,

God love ZH, although most don't really consider them MSM?

That aside, totally agree. I recently got an internal email that was essentially a firm-wide Cease & Desist on cold calling. Even if you buy leads ( and the whole reason you'd DO that is BECAUSE they're "scrubbed" against the DNC List ) they are now -mandating- you forward them to 1 of 2 third party "scrubbers" for a second cross ref.

I told my regional, are you freaking kidding me!? Normally I see no point in getting demonstrative w/ these dillrods but I've had about enough. Even if don't cold call, this is just over the top. Of course they're now claiming to be getting hit w/ 15 and 20K fines, which even if it -were- true is a perfectly ridiculous amount.

The net effect is, newer guys can't get their foot in the door to build a book. So.., more faux barriers to entry.

19. Truesoldier on October 31st, 2011 3:28 pm

"The problem with so-called sexual harassment is that there is no definition as to what it actually is"

While I was contracting in Iraq we were given a SH training course by our HR rep. She told us that SH is defined as anything a "resonable woman" would deem offensive. I responded by saying that definition in and of itself is sexual discrimintion based on the fact that it is only deemed harrasment if it is deemed so by a "reasonable woman". It was quite fun to watch her head spin as she tried to grapple with the point I had just made. The training ended shortly thereafter with the HR rep going back to the corporate office for guidance.

20. Marshall_Will on October 31st, 2011 3:30 pm

SPG,

Good, too bad it's only a decade LATE and few $bil short? SH litigation became it's own industry w/ atty's defining the law as they went. For each new settlement, it further allowed them to push the envelope.

After awhile it was more or less like big retail's response to shoplifting. It's easier and cheaper to just let 'em walk out the door w/ the merchandise. Thankfully this is no longer the case.

Having SH charges levelled against you is every bit as common ( and in MOST cases ) about as 'serious' as a speeding ticket. Sorry.

21. Marshall_Will on October 31st, 2011 3:57 pm

TFB, my old bosses made me uncomfortable and angry pretty much every day. Oh well, better to get this out of the way early. Years later in life I learned my grandfather had my GM institutionalized. He did a lot of drinking and whoring around so when she objected, he just had her put in an asylum. Great way to 'ice' somebody back then and I understand fairly common in that era.

Now what we do is put together all kinds of SH legislation that makes things so much more 'civilized'. Just as all the child-abuse allegations got completely OOC. Custody battle not going well..? Dad's suddenly a creeper!

22. SignPainterGuy on October 31st, 2011 4:18 pm

I`m still getting calls for my Dad who died in `91. I know they`re "cold" calls, don`t / never did know him because they ask for him by his first name (he went by middle name or initials). It delights me to tell them, "Buddy, you bought a really old calling list !" CLICK !

23. SignPainterGuy on October 31st, 2011 4:28 pm

"Dad`s suddenly a creeper", mmm hmmm. The last year of my marriage, it got pretty testy. I thank GOD frequently that he warned me early on to watch for such. The Ex. would verbally push me hoping I`d hit her or our Daughter. I never did, so when she left, she got only her car, some furniture, and child support. Could`a been so much worse if I were a weaker man.

24. SignPainterGuy on October 31st, 2011 4:41 pm

Herman Cain spoke before the Nat`l Press Club and acquitted himself very well, IMO. He mentioned that the past Ch., the current Ch. and the incoming Ch. were there at the time of the allegations of SH and would be aware of details of any settlement paid. Since they didn`t provide any damning evidence, apparently, none exists. He called it correctly as a witch hunt !

25. Marshall_Will on October 31st, 2011 4:45 pm

Right, in the biz it's called "talking to dead people" ( unfortunately ) You'd just turn the "lead" over to the seller and they'd replace it. Least that's how it used to work.

I truly TRULY believe a big part of the reason we can't lube the paddles yell CLEAR! and jump start this economy is because we've made cold calling illegal.

No one wakes up and thinks, I really -should- get my roof replaced today..? Just doesn't happen like that. Whether it's vinyl siding or stocks or home security systems. Is it a pain? Yes. For both parties really.

Does it WORK? Absolutely. Think of all the people that have been on 99 weeks of Unenjoyment who could've gotten them back to work doing something positive? IMHO we need to ditch the DoNotCall List.

One of these days maybe Doug can explain to us how Blog-advertising PAYS!? I'd really love to understand that better. TIA

26. SignPainterGuy on October 31st, 2011 7:19 pm

Oops, didn`t think of that !

27. Connie on November 2nd, 2011 11:10 pm

Unfortunately Cain can't afford this publicity. If Perry and Bachman think this will help them, they should think twice. It will help Romney.