Today is the “general strike” in Oakland, and this was spotted today in the window of a Men’s Wearhouse:

This particular Men’s Wearhouse doesn’t seem to believe the adage of “know your customer.” How many suits are you going to sell to people whose express purpose in life is to get out of job interviews?

The store even has a customized ad targeted specifically at the Occupy movement:

Then again, maybe that sign of support might as well say “if you think we’re on your side will you not loot us?” Who knows.

By the way, Men’s Wearhouse stock is trading on Wall Street at around $30 a share today. George Zimmer, founder of Men’s Wearhouse, is worth around $800 million, though the above OWS support is undoubtedly the work of a franchisee.

Comments

24 Responses to “Oakland Men’s Wearhouse Supports ‘Occupy’ Strike”

1. Hyperfobea on November 2nd, 2011 4:50 pm

"How many suits are you going to sell to people whose express purpose in life is to get out of job interviews?"

HAHAHAHAH! Well, that sure elicited a few hearty chuckles (and a snort). Thanks, Doug! Also, do people who spend most of their time in basements when they're not protesting some commie cause actually wear suits?

2. Pasadena Phil on November 2nd, 2011 4:54 pm

This is one of those cases where you have to ask "Why say ANYTHING!"

Rule of thumb: Any company that features the CEO in its commercials is to be avoided. Ego is not a good business plan.

3. AngusE.Parvo on November 2nd, 2011 5:49 pm

Zimmer was among the assbag CEOs who signed that pledge begging Obama to raise his taxes. No one with any conservative beliefs should ever shop at Men's Wearhouse again.

4. Hyperfobea on November 2nd, 2011 6:12 pm

The GQ-caveman CEO.

5. SignPainterGuy on November 2nd, 2011 7:07 pm

Are Men`s Whse suits stain and wrinkle resistant ? So much can happen when the pants are down around your ankles !

6. Pasadena Phil on November 2nd, 2011 8:05 pm

There has been a MW a block away from my old office of 15 years and I never even walked in because I can't stand egomaniac CEOs doing their own commercials. I would now be willing to pay twice as much and walk ten miles to buy the same suit elsewhere.

7. SignPainterGuy on November 2nd, 2011 8:20 pm

"…….. egomaniac CEOs doing their own commercials." Does seem a bit "used car salesmanish" doesn`t it ?

"….. walk ten miles …." Would that be uphill both ways and in two feet of snow ? Better be some mighty fine suits too !

We have plenty of other choices too, within 15 miles.

8. Pasadena Phil on November 2nd, 2011 8:30 pm

Yes, that would indeed be uphill both ways but only after being awakened in the old water tank I use to live in by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over me. I didn't have the luxury of living in a box like you RICH people when I was growing up.

9. LB1901 on November 2nd, 2011 11:19 pm

That Men's Wearhouse retail store in Oakland posted that sign in the window OUT. OF. FEAR. so their plate glass doesn't get shattered from those petulant neo-bolshevik squatting thugs running rough shod over the city – with the friggin mayor's blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. SignPainterGuy on November 2nd, 2011 11:20 pm

Eeeeww ! A water tank ? How utterly dreadful, but please be careful of your assumptions. My box was hardly luxurious. I`ll have you know that I was well into my teens before we got our first used microwave to cook our popcorn in for those family nights in front of our (first in the neighborhood) round-screen color TV. So there, you, …….. Californian transplant ! ;-)

11. SignPainterGuy on November 2nd, 2011 11:28 pm

You may have a good point there; MM has a new post up from Oakland showing smashed windows.

12. Pasadena Phil on November 2nd, 2011 11:39 pm

That's chicken shit, just like the black store owners who posted "Black-Owned Business" signs in their windows during the Rodney King riots in LA. If I owned the shop next door, I might have smashed some of those windows myself.

13. Hyperfobea on November 3rd, 2011 8:05 am

I remember that … and on the roofs of their establishments the Korean grocery store owners firing shotguns at the rioters and looters. They were called racists for trying to protect their livelihoods.

14. Dexter_Alarius on November 3rd, 2011 12:46 pm

MW new ad campaign:

"Look like a 1%er while you loot and riot!"
    "Nothing says 'anti-capitalist' like pinstripes."
    "Torching the banks? You need a new blazer!"

15. @HappieHerb on November 3rd, 2011 2:52 pm

I haven't seen anything by the bulk of OWS that suggests being successful in business is bad, or that capitalism should disappear and can't be done responsibly . Not sure what you don't get about protesting economic injustice perpetrated by the most powerful people in our country. Several millionaires and corporations have thrown their support behind the message of OWS because they see something you apparently refuse to (because you simply can't be that out of touch without putting some effort into it). The movement is supported by many in the middle class who have jobs as well (Marines, nurses, pilots, firemen, transit workers…). It's like you are willfully ignorant. I suppose if you want to discredit/misrepresent an entire movement by pointing out the, ahem, /movement/ of one person, you have that right but you are being disingenuous at the very least. I suppose it's no bother for you since yoru readers actually think the peaceful OWS supporters are claiming that they are "anti-capitalists" that are looting, rioting and torching banks. If they don't know any better and come to you for far-right propaganda void of reality, you won't lose your readership.

16. @HappieHerb on November 3rd, 2011 3:13 pm

I suppose I should get out ahead of your predictable claims that I am a brown-skinned, jobless, far-left, illegal immigrant, pot smoking, Marxist baby-killer on welfare who doesn't own property and want's to turn America into communist China or whatever other inane automatic responses that we consistently see from far-right conservatives when they can't come up with an intelligent response during a disagreement.

I am a white, home-owning, middle-class, self-employed consultant & internet technology professional, who volunteers my time building homes for the less fortunate and donates money to charity as well as micro-loan ventures.

I don't put profit before people but that is not the same thing as saying people should not be allowed to become successful and get rich. I know it's hard for you to see things in anything other than black & white but that doesn't make it impossible. You just have to put more thought into things and give a small attempt at empathy and compassion to broaden your narrow world-view.

17. Doug on November 3rd, 2011 3:39 pm

"I haven't seen anything by the bulk of OWS that suggests being successful in business is bad, or that capitalism should disappear and can't be done responsibly."

I must have have just been seeing things then… over and over again…

18. @HappieHerb on November 3rd, 2011 3:55 pm

IHi Doug,

Is that sign mass produced, because one person doesn't constitute the "BULK of OWS protesters".

A far-right blog (big government) that is pro-wealth disparity and bashes the poor as begin lazy is your best source of information on what the OWS movement is about? Seriously?

Perhaps you could check http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/ or http://the99percent.com/ and point out anywhere on those sites that says we should abandon capitalism. I won't hold my breath. Also, you don't seem to understand (like most right-wingers) that socialism and capitalism are not polar opposites and can coexist. Advocating for a government to help it's most vulnerable and hold those who crashed our economy accountable, is not the same thing as saying capitalism and wealth are bad!

19. Doug on November 3rd, 2011 4:11 pm
  20. @HappieHerb on November 3rd, 2011 4:26 pm

Okay, so you've pointed out three whole people that don't like capitalism and that somehow is an indicator of the core beliefs of an entire movement.

I guess, using your reasoning, the entire tea party racist and violent because of the few signs promoting racism and violence and the tea party guys that tackled an unarmed woman and stomped on her head at a Rand Paul rally. Also using your strawman reasoning let's call the entire Republican party Pedophiles because of the several dozen that have been charged with sex crimes against children. Heck, I guess they are all Nazi's too because of the ones who like to dress as Nazi's in reenactments.

I'm glad you have so much faith in the main stream media and right-wing blogs to tell you what the OWS movement is about yet so little in the actual websites espousing their views. That's reasonable.

/sarcasm

21. Dexter_Alarius on November 3rd, 2011 4:49 pm

Sooo, Happie. I'm guessing you are holding those responsible for crashing our economy accountable? Like Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Maxine Waters, Franklin Raines, et al.? These are the people that hamstrung all the GOP efforts at oversight and reform in 2002, claiming "there is no problem". Oh, and ACORN and other 'community activists' that protested mortgage lenders, including at executives' homes, to force them to give loans to people that couldn't afford them. And your blindness to all the vilolent anti-captialism rhetoric and pro-communism signs and symbols is astounding.
    But, you probably get all your news from the MSM… or Huffpo.

22. SignPainterGuy on November 3rd, 2011 4:59 pm

In the spirit of the late, great Paul Harvey;

I`m sure @HappieHerb would love a response ………

23. Prohormone Reviews on October 19th, 2013 6:52 pm